Do not want to carry a soda glass around all week?

We were on the Explorer recently. The chip in the cup developed a fault after a couple of days. We replace the cup each time. My DS went through 4 cups due to fault chips. If he had taken the chip out of the cup, as shown in the video, I don't think they would have replaced the cup. 

The chips all had the same fault. After a couple of days they would say " You can not use this machine for another 10 hours"

Many treads asking about punching a hole in the seapass so it can be put on a lanyard. If you can't hold on to your  seapass how are people especially kids walking around with a cup all day and not mixing them up or just forgetting them?  On a 4000 passenger ship I didn't see many walking around with the cup and the new cup has a handle. 

Actually a pretty good idea.  We had the deluxe drink package on our last cruise but never used the cup that came with it.  My understanding is that if it's never been activated you can use it on another cruise. Removing the chip would keep us from having to bring the cups back.  On the other hand we don't drink soft drinks so it's kind of a moot point.

25 minutes ago, mac66 said:

My understanding is that if it's never been activated you can use it on another cruise. 

True, unless RCI has changed the cup style and reprogrammed the Freestyle machine to no longer accept the old ones.

I'm currently on Harmony for 7/21 thru 7/28.  The Freestyle machine say cup is good thru 8/4.  Based on that, I don't think they reprogram after every cruise.  Any body has pantry at home filling up with these cups?  Good problem to have 😉

25 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

True, unless RCI has changed the cup style and reprogrammed the Freestyle machine to no longer accept the old ones.

I don't see RCI changing the chip program. It doesn't matter what style the cup is, a chip is a chip.

Word on the street is that once activated the chip is good for the length of the cruise. They are not date specific. They expire afterwards and can't be used again but they will work on any ship as long as they haven't been activated.

I'm going to pull the chip from one of the unused mugs from my last cruise and try it on my next cruise in December.  I'll let you know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I don't see RCI changing the chip program. It doesn't matter what style the cup is, a chip is a chip.

My own experience is that after some time, an unused cup will no longer work - in my case it was coincidental to cup style change but it could have simply been tied to elapsed time (1+ yr between getting one style on one ship and trying to use it on another which was using a newer style). True, an un-activated cup will work most of the time (confirmed that too), but may not do so indefinitely. Also true, once activated they last the length of the sailing.

9 hours ago, roadburner said:

One’s cruise card has the Coke emblem on it.  Simply show it at any bar and receive the beverage of your choice.  No need to carry the cup around unless by choice.

True, you can show your card and receive a beverage from the gun at any bar... but the bars do not have all the options of the Freestyle Machines. To use the Freestyle Machine you do need the cup (or the chip as seen in the video) 

22 hours ago, dude_hdt said:

I'm currently on Harmony for 7/21 thru 7/28.  The Freestyle machine say cup is good thru 8/4.  Based on that, I don't think they reprogram after every cruise.  Any body has pantry at home filling up with these cups?  Good problem to have 😉

I definitely would have used the old ones at home. The new style is cheap and juvenile. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:59 AM, roadburner said:

One’s cruise card has the Coke emblem on it.  Simply show it at any bar and receive the beverage of your choice.  No need to carry the cup around unless by choice.

You can get all the various drinks that the Freestyle machine has, at one of the bars??????

On 7/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, dude_hdt said:

Somebody on a B2B reported the cup lasts for something like 14 days.

Which is  what you are seeing

On 7/24/2019 at 10:47 AM, Biker19 said:

My own experience is that after some time, an unused cup will no longer work - in my case it was coincidental to cup style change but it could have simply been tied to elapsed time (1+ yr between getting one style on one ship and trying to use it on another which was using a newer style). True, an un-activated cup will work most of the time (confirmed that too), but may not do so indefinitely. Also true, once activated they last the length of the sailing.

And there are plenty unused ones for sale on Ebay if that means anything.