Cruise Critic Community
ajtraveler66

Tabyana Beach/Gumbalimba Versus Maya Key

Will be doing a Caribbean Cruise with NCL in February.  We prefer to do ship excursions when good ones are available, and these two (see the title) both looked like they might be our thing.

Which of these two would you recommend and why?  Both excursions have animals and both excursions offer nice beach areas.  Look forward to your input.

Posted (edited)

I would choose Gumbalinda over Maya Key.  Maya key is a small island with some snorkeling, a small beach with rocky bottom,  some animals.  Gumbalinda is a great park lots to see, lots of different animals and birds.  Now only available via cruise excursions. Plus Tabayana is THE beach for snorkeling and has that soft sand the Caribbean is known for.

Edited by crewsweeper

I've only been to Maya Key on Roatan, but we thoroughly enjoyed our day there.  I liked that it was small and its own island - that meant there were no people walking around trying to sell us stuff.  The animals were fun to visit, food was decent to good, the Mayan replica village and museum was interesting, snorkeling was awesome once you got out to the ledge, and the kids loved playing on the beach and in the water.  And letting the monkeys crawl all over them.  It was a very relaxing day because it was all right there and you could do what you wanted when you wanted for the most part - including leave.  I think they had boats leaving every 30 minutes.  Also it was literally a less than 5 minute boat ride straight from the same dock the ship was at.

That said, we're looking hard at Tabyana Beach next time, mainly because everyone says it's so amazing to snorkel there.

Anyone else?  LeeseB, - I am thinking like you!  We have been to Maya Key twice due to the reasons you stated.  Small, private, no solicitors, quick boat ride from the ship every 30 minutes.     Just afraid I might be missing something at Tabyana?