Cruise Critic Community
TMLAalum

Bratislava from Vienna

Has anyone decided to do this during the day their river cruise is in Vienna? We have spent time in Vienna and visited the major sites including Schonbrunn Castle. Our Avalon cruise does not stop in Bratislavabut in researching for  different tour options in Vienna found that a day trip to Bratislava is possible! 

If you have done such a day tour, please share how you did it- independently or with a tour company? Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

Can't speak to tour companies, but a few years ago, when staying in Vienna for some days on a land trip, I did a DIY tour to Bratislava.

Went there by train, which took about 70 minutes (https://www.oebb.at/en/regionale-angebote/ueberregionale-angebote/bratislava-ticket.html#; tickets: https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket)

I remember visiting Bratislava City Museum in the old town hall and climbing on the museum's tower where you have a great view over the old town (but shouldn't be afraid of stairs or heights …).

The Museum of Pharmacy was close by, so (being a pharmacist) I visited this one as well; was okay, but nothing to write home about.

Bratislava Castle is a must, very beautiful and with great views over the river and the city, and was walkable from the old town.

In the afternoon I visited the Slovak National Museum and the Slovak National Gallery. Both are close to each other and located at the river – which was convenient, because I went back to Vienna on the river, by high speed catamaran (https://www.twincityliner.com/en, took about 75 minutes or so), docking close to the museums mentioned. 

For more inspiration, I suggest https://www.visitbratislava.com/

Thanks, Marrascaud.  If there is an easy way to get from where we are docked to the Wien Hauptbahnhof, the train looks like a viable option, especially if we can book the complimentary tour that's included with the Bratislava ticket.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

If there is an easy way to get from where we are docked to the Wien Hauptbahnhof, the train looks like a viable option, especially if we can book the complimentary tour that's included with the Bratislava ticket.

The U-Bahn line from Vorgartenstrasse goes directly to the Hauptbahnhof. Vorgartenstrasse is about 10 minutes walk from the dock, a few minutes more if you're at one of the docking stations farther from the bridge.

I put detailed directions from the boat to the U-Bahn in my trip report, post #102. I will try to direct link to that post.

Edited to add: use the TOP link (where it says jpalbny replied to a topic) and that will take you directly to the relevant post. The link that says "Uniworld River Beatrice..." will take you to page 1 of the report and you don't need all of that.

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks Chris & JP-

Your street view map & path is a great help. I did start at the beginning of your thread and enjoyed all of it thus far. Since we are taking the train to Munich from Budapest post-cruise, I will continue on to read your impressions of that city! I'll also be investigating the Hospital in the Rock for Budapest- our afternoon there we've booked a tour inside the Parliament, but the morning is free since we will likely opt out of Avalon's included tour.

Here is the excellent advice I got from The810 on the Slovakia forum at tripadvisor back in March of 2019 when I posted about transportation from Vienna to Bratislava for a day trip.

"It is recommended that you use Bratislava-Ticket offer available at any OBB ticket machine (as well as ticket desk). This includes return train trip between Vienna and Bratislava (on either route) + a day pass for public transportation in Bratislava, all for just 16 euros, so you wouldn't have to buy additional ticket for bus/tram in Bratislava".

The four of us followed his advice, got this ticket at the main train station in Vienna and had no problems at all.  There is bus service right at the Bratislava train station, just ask the driver to tell you when to get off once in the city.

Thanks lynncarol!

I've been on OBBs website and there is an email address for a scenic tour, which sounds like fun, although I've no idea what a Prešporáčik car is!!! We would just make the Old City tour by 3 days....

"Reduced rates for scenic tours

With the Bratislava-Ticket, you receive a 20% discount on the regular rate for a scenic tour through Bratislava in a vintage Prešporáčik car. The tour is organised by the travel agency TOUR4U s.r.o. You pay € 10.- (instead of € 12.-), irrespective of the number of participants and on any day of operation. Depending on the route selected, the tour takes half an hour or a full hour.

Routes and days of operation

• "Bratislava Old City": 15 March through 15 November, starting at the main square (Hlavné nám.). 
  • "Bratislava Castle Tour" (with 15 minutes stay by the castle) and "Jewish Bratislava": available all year.
    After prior registration, these two tours can also start on the square in front of the central station (Hlavná st.), otherwise next to the National Theatre (old building)."

Prešporáčik car is a mini-train with open cars that drives around the old town in Bratislava.  I took it when my Uniworld cruise stopped in Bratislava and it was a pleasant way to see the sights, although the old town is small and very walkable. The advertised Castle tour might be a good way to go as there is a significant climb to get up to the castle.

@laverendrye

Thanks! I think the castle tour is the way to go since it can start at the train station, which my research tells me is about a 15 minute walk into old town. Looks like our day trip to Bratislava will be a very economical DIY excursion- just a little over 50 euros for the two of us, not counting lunch and the U-bahn.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:31 AM, TMLAalum said:

@laverendrye

Thanks! I think the castle tour is the way to go since it can start at the train station, which my research tells me is about a 15 minute walk into old town. Looks like our day trip to Bratislava will be a very economical DIY excursion- just a little over 50 euros for the two of us, not counting lunch and the U-bahn.

Which Avalon are you on?  We sail from  Linz on August 27.  I, too, was surprised that we do not stop in Bratislava.  It's a wonderful town and we just sail right on by it.  We've done two previous Avalons that either started or ended in Vienna, and this cruise spends two full days there. We'd be open to doing something different.  Bratislava might be an interesting choice.

Two years ago, we were sailing on Avalon- Vienna to Amsterdam.  Our ship couldn't get into Vienna on the first night due to Bridge construction that afternoon.  They bused us to Bratislava to meet the ship and we had a few hours free time there after dinner on board.  Strolling around the quiet old town that evening was lovely.  We sailed on into Vienna overnight.

Just wondering if you are on our cruise.

@KensterWe are not sailing until November 7th! Would have been nice to have sailed with you. My DH & I have made many friends thanks to Cruise Critic as I suspect you have too.

This is our first river cruise and we have a group of 6 cabins which at the time we booked was enough for the discount. My big frustration is that we cannot use My Avalon due to being a group booking. I want to pre-reserve excursions, especially Cesky Krumlow.