Does Royal still only want 10's on the Guest Survey?

18 minutes ago, Anton said:

Can those with problems see it now?

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.31.40 PM.jpg

Sure, but I'm back on my phone. 😇😇

Just switched to Chrome on laptop. Looks fine, thanks

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I've read recent reports where crew members are still asking for 10s.

They are still doing it Bob. My last three waiters have done it, and I even had a girl in the Windjammer ask me, because she'd handed me a water from the tray.

These were all even after that question was added to the survey.

But who can blame them??

Most of the crew are supporting whole families. So it's no surprise they do everything they can to get the 10s.

It must be a constant awful worry for them.

4 hours ago, Heymarco said:

It sounds like they do the classic Net Promoter Score (NPS).  The concept being, how likely are you to recommend the brand to a friend or family member? Only 9’a and 10’s would be considered promoters. 7-8 is neutral and 6 or below is detractor.  Based on the answers, a score between -100 to 100 is calculated for the org. 

While customer thinks an 8 is great, it is super harmful towards the score.

Well that's all very interesting, but they should tell us that they use that system.

It's a terrible system to use if they want actual feedback instead of us feeling that we have to lie, or someone could lose their job.

At the moment, all the information they are gathering from the surveys is false and useless, many people feel that they have to lie, because they couldn't bear the chance of being part of the reason someone could lose their job.

Most of them are supporting parents and grandparents, spouses and children.

Same thing happens when we take our car in for service... "You will get a survey and please remember that a 5 star is the only rating that will not get me in trouble with the boss/corporate".

Those surveys never get the rating the employees 'ask' for, but they also get my comments that I rarely give a perfect score and will never give a perfect score to those who tell me I have to give it to them.  I just make sure that the corporate bosses know that begging for bad data will not help the company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've seen the average survey scores posted on a galley tour before and I asked our waiter about it. He told me the average scores were used to determine dining sections and are used for promotions and other benefits. Top rated waiters get the biggest sections, or sections with suites, etc, and therefore get better tips. So they aren't lying when they say it affects them, but they are definitely misleading about it. Poor surveys will get them stuck in worse sections making less tips and having to do more extra work.

They beg for 10s because that is the best way to increase their average, not because they'll get fired if they get a 9. IIRC, the highest average was in the low 8s and most were in the 6-8 range.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I've read recent reports where crew members are still asking for 10s.

Was asked by this on our cruises last week on ovation and radiance.  In Feb nobody asked for 10's on serenade.

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes, thank you!

Chromebook with Chrome, saw nothing but a "do not enter" sign before, but can see this one!

Same here. Thanks for posting. Makes sense with my own experience.

One observation: mid cruise, I had an issue with a MDR member of staff completely unrelated to my own wait staff.  It was  very professionally and discreetly dealt with by the Head Waiter but although I strongly felt it was appropriate to do so, I did feel a little awkward bringing it to his attention. Not least  because of the effect it might have on my wait staff. Our waiter asked nearly after every meal throughout the cruise if his service was as we wished, what could he do etc, and eventually yes, if he and partner could get 10s... Last night Head waiter also came to table to request we base our assessment on the service of our personal table wait staff, 

We were asked for 10s from our waiter on Indy in May. We replied, as we always do, that we would overlook being asked once but if we hear it again we will take a mark off for asking. I don't mind them asking if we are pleased with their service and reminding us to fill in the survey.

We always fill in the surveys honestly and as he was a pretty good waiter he got a 9, we give 10s rarely when we feel someone has been outstanding. I think it's unfair to the exceptional staff to give 10s out to people who are just very good. I don't believe anyone will lose their job for getting an 8 or 9. We would only give lower than this to someone who we felt was not up to the job in the first place (hardly ever).

Personally I would rather not fill in the survey than lie on it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kernow said:

We were asked for 10s from our waiter on Indy in May. We replied, as we always do, that we would overlook being asked once but if we hear it again we will take a mark off for asking. I don't mind them asking if we are pleased with their service and reminding us to fill in the survey.

We always fill in the surveys honestly and as he was a pretty good waiter he got a 9, we give 10s rarely when we feel someone has been outstanding. I think it's unfair to the exceptional staff to give 10s out to people who are just very good. I don't believe anyone will lose their job for getting an 8 or 9. We would only give lower than this to someone who we felt was not up to the job in the first place (hardly ever).

Personally I would rather not fill in the survey than lie on it.

Agree with above. How can you give 10's to just about everybody?

I see it as a penalty to those we have seen that are TRULY a 10. To me a 10 is for those I remember well after a cruise is done, not that many 10's.

• Like 2

We always give 10s across the board. We have nothing to gain by giving anything less and would never potentially affect someone’s livelihood because they were having a bad day or week. If the billion dollar company wanted to see if the employees are meeting the standards they could hire mystery shoppers like a lot of businesses do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dutchclogs said:

Also curious: what is Speciality APD 2.10 target?

I found some internet search items for cruise lines where APD means "Average Per Diem", so I'm going to take a wild guess that Specialty APD 2.10 means the target is $2.10 in specialty spend per day per passenger. 

25 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

We always give 10s across the board. We have nothing to gain by giving anything less and would never potentially affect someone’s livelihood because they were having a bad day or week. If the billion dollar company wanted to see if the employees are meeting the standards they could hire mystery shoppers like a lot of businesses do. 

This explains the declining food and service across the cruise industry. While they would like to see all 10's even the company knows that this isn't realistic. This is why they ask if you were asked to give 10's on the survey. We have mystery shoppers.  The 100's are more suspicious than the lower scores especially when you know what was going on the day they shopped. They finally stopped paying for the service because the information was bogus.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Just realised we never got a survey after Jewel earlier this month 🤷‍♀️

Do you typically get just one for the both of you?  We had to create another account with a seperate email so both Laura and I could get one

1 minute ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I just did my survey a couple weeks ago and forgot something important. Is there anywhere I can send my comment to?

royalguestrelations@rccl.com

• Like 2