How long is a hold on a cruise?

Heather1972

I cancelled and rebooked my 14 night cruise as two 7 night cruises in order to get the voyages select cruises discount. MSC was unable to transfer my original deposit because whatever system they use to do that was broken.  So, it has to be done manually by a supervisor. I was told to check back in 7 to 10 days. In the meantime, my new cruises are listed as "option" when I sign in. It also says that option expires soon, but doesn't say when. Does anyone have any idea when this option/hold may expire? I want to cut off any possible problem! 

In the UK it's usually 2 days.  On Thursday of last week, I enquired about a cruise and was told that there was a hold on it 'til the following Monday (I'm assuming that was classed as 2 'working' days).

MSC's option period is 7 days in the US, and you can request it to be extended by another day or so.  That applies to sailings outside of final payment period (90 days prior to sailing).

WannaCruise365 - Not sure about online.  When you book with a TA or on the phone, your booking is in "option" status when the reservation process is completed but without paying the deposit.  You will have the option period to make the required deposit.  Once you paid the deposit, your booking status will become "booked."

Edited by Selion

On 7/25/2019 at 1:51 PM, Selion said:

MSC's option period is 7 days in the US, and you can request it to be extended by another day or so.  That applies to sailings outside of final payment period (90 days prior to sailing).

WannaCruise365 - Not sure about online.  When you book with a TA or on the phone, your booking is in "option" status when the reservation process is completed but without paying the deposit.  You will have the option period to make the required deposit.  Once you paid the deposit, your booking status will become "booked."

Thanks!