The one thing missing from HAL ships

Wife and I really enjoy our HAL cruises. We have been on three in the last two years. We enjoy the food, service, company, ship size, evening entertainment, overall atmosphere, and being price conscious, value and price. While we don't cruise with HAL exclusively, they are still likely our first choice.

All that said, there is one glaring ommision from the HAL ships: a lively pool deck. Now I know HAL is all about classic cruising and tends towards an older demographic. I guess they believe the pool deck should be no different than the rest of the ship during the day: quiet. With two pools on most ships, wouldn't it be easy to make one of these the "retreat" pool that is kid-free and quiet all the time? Then make the other pool more lively, with piped in music at a decent level and live music from time to time, especially on sea days. I'm not asking for belly flop and hairy leg contests (although personally I enjoy that type of fun), but how hard would it be to add some tunes to the deck?

Talking to other passengers, most we meet seem to feel the same way. Having a little life would add to the cruise experience, not subtract from it. I don't think it would make the cruise any less classy. 

So what say you, HAL gurus? Do you appreciate the quiet pool decks, or would you prefer some music?

Edited by friendswithdave
typo on one word
  • Like 2

I don't think there is any need to pump up the pool areas with music.  We like HAL because it is laid back and relaxing. It's designed for the older cruisers.  From what I recall there is music already playing at the aft pool.    You can also get a fix of music at the various stages that have live bands playing nightly.  ie Rolling Stones, BB Kings etc.    We are perfectly content with the existing arrangement.

• Like 7

I prefer the pool areas to be quiet. But is seems as the day goes on, the background music is turned on, or gets louder than it was in the morning. Same seems to be true just about in every public area on the ship.

I don't need to be bombarded with overhead noise during every waking hour.I want to hear the sounds of silence.

• Like 12

It's difficult to find a music genre that suits everyone.  Many people have devices that provide music of their own taste - with earplugs, of course.   Some people create playlists for themselves for different occasions.   I personally play the same song as the plane is taxiing down the runway and lifting off.   Lively and  loud enough to distract me.

• Like 1

For the most part I do prefer a quiet pool area.  But as others noted, there was a time when a live group would set up for an hour or two throughout a cruise.  We enjoyed that and I do miss that live music.  It did give a festive air to the cruise.

46 minutes ago, Chewbecca said:

Really? I’m in my 40s and one reason I cruise with HAL is because of the peace and quiet. If I wanted a lively pool scene, I would cruise with RCL or perhaps Princess. 

I'm with you, Chewie.  As a society, it's like we are afraid of some quiet and not really having a good time unless your ears are ringing from the noise 

Many, many times  on other lines the Melanoma deck is almost unbearable because of too-loud music being blasted at passengers.  When it's so loud that I can't order a drink without having to shout, it's too loud.

Give me the peace and quiet.

• Like 5

We like music by the pool.  We like it even better if it there is a live band. 

If we want quiet, we can always go the the library, sit on our verandah. or go to the second covered pool which is typically quiet. 

We have never expected the pool area to be a quiet area,  hence there is no expectation gap for us.

Edited by iancal

OP. if you want a lively pool area, try Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam.  The mid-ship Lido pool is  very noisy with loud music and children during vacation times.  The aft pool is designated for adults; however, on our Christmas cruise this year on NS, the kids took over that area too.

I prefer quiet.  It's one of the reasons I select HAL over other lines like NCL or RCCL.  No one cruise line can be all things to all passengers.  Thank heavens we have choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is getting harder and harder on many ships (not just HAL) to find a place where you can sit in peace and quiet and not have to listen to somebody's idea of music or somebody who is talking way too loud.  

I can't count the times that i have gotten up and moved from one area to another to avoid unwanted noise.

I remember one morning when they were playing piped in rap music in the crow's nest....while some may like that i don't care for it.

Some of the big new ships have the giant movie screens out by the pool...the Royal Princess for example blares the sound all day every day assuming i guess that everyone really enjoys that.

Give me some peace and quiet please...especially as you slowly eliminate the deck chairs on the prom deck, the libraries and convert the crow's nest into whatever the latest bean counter plan calls for.

• Like 4

Not every ship should be the same experience.  Bring your own music & earbuds if you cannot be left alone with your thoughts.

ETA: this should have been set up as a poll!

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm with you, Chewie.  As a society, it's like we are afraid of some quiet and not really having a good time unless your ears are ringing from the noise 

Give me the peace and quiet.

I agree.  Worse yet are those people on golf courses who are blaring music from their golf cart, disturbing many who seek a quiet golf game away from all that stuff. And no, the pro shops do nothing about it .... afraid of of losing customers 🙄

We like a quiet poolside area, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank goodness that HAL has not gone in for really loud music around the Lido pool. The music they do play is bad enough! After two trans Pacific cruises where the same music was played day after day, albeit at a fairly quiet level, I was ready to scream the next time I heard the same song! One evening, hoping for a quiet drink by the pool we observed several people moving tables to try and find one that was not directly under a speaker. We also have been known to scope out the area and find a quieter spot. On the other hand a live  band for a few hours a day would be very nice. We have not tried any of the lines with MUTS or big screens round the pool area, and never will. We like to cruise and enjoy the sounds of the sea.

• Like 4

HAL has 2 pools  & one could have some sort of entertainment  in the afternoon for 2 to 3 hours  .Even  have some pool games could be added fun  .We are 80s &  have no problem with 2 to 3  afternoon hours of  low key music  at the sea view pool along with pool fun games  like pool golf ie 

• Like 2