Question for someone who has ALREADY experienced the Allure itinerary change to PR

Question for anyone who has sailed Allure and had their itinerary changed to Puerto Rico (because of the engine issue ) with the super early port hours was it apparent the shops and the forts adjust their business hours to accommodate the short port hours or did they operate as normal?

Our itinerary change for November was just announced and we will be in PR from 7:00 - 1:00 instead of St. Kitts.  While I love PR as a port of call, unless the hours are adjusted by the businesses that leaves very little time.  I know if I was a shop owner I would adjust my hours for a 6000 passenger ship.  What did you experience?

On Allure Nov. 23, 2019. We also now have the joy of being in San Juan on Thanksgiving morning instead of St. Thomas for a full day! Is Thanksgiving as big of a deal on the island as it is on the mainland? I had the same questions about opening times. 

Edited by FLgemini
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FLgemini said:

On Allure Nov. 23, 2019. We also now have the joy of being in San Juan on Thanksgiving morning instead of St. Thomas for a full day! Is Thanksgiving as big of a deal on the island as it is on the mainland? I had the same questions about opening times. 

On this sailing as well and I am curious too!

We were on Allure in March and our hours in San Juan were 7-2.  Like Brillohead said, nothing to do with propulsion (unless the 1 pm departure does).  Anyway, we just got off the ship and went into Old San Juan.  In general the shops were open as were the restaurants.  We walked to, and toured El Morro.  If you have a National Park Card it will get you in for free.  After we went and had a Pina Colada then made our way back to the ship.  

In my opinion it's too short to do much more.  I like San Juan to a point, and the short day was fine with me.  If you get a chance go to the Butterfly People and look at their art.   I believe they're on Calle de la Cruz, near the port.  They don't open until 11. 

Edited by papaflamingo

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I sail on Allure in Sunday and our San Juan port stop has always been scheduled for 7am to 1pm.    We’re planning to just stay on the ship.  Those hours don’t make a lot of sense.

I always say the same thing. It's going to be a day to sleep in as we'll stay up late the previous night, and just enjoy the ship.  Then we'll always get off  the ship much later and spend a few hours strolling around the streets to stretch the legs and maybe duck into a local cantina  for a drink or appetizer.

To the OP, I can't tell you if the shop hours are adjusted as we are never off the ship before 10:00 am🙂

• 4 weeks later...

For the Nov. 24, 2019 Allure sailing out of Port Evergaldes, it's no so much the 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. change to SanJuan that is the issue, its that the ship ports there on Thanksgiving Day. All of the U.S. Park Service sites will be closed that day:

"Castillo San Cristobal & Castillo San Felipe del Morro are open to the public everyday 9:00am to 6:00pm except on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day."

Thanksgiving is both a U.S. federal and territory holiday in Puerto Rico. Most eveything will be closed because most citizens have the day off. My understanding is that a majority of shops, museums and attractions in Old San Juan and throughout Puuerto Rico will be closed. 

Not sure why RC is selling fort excursions on this particular sailing, as they won't be open. Unless...RC has arranged for something exclusive.

Edited by FLgemini

On 7/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, FLgemini said:

Is Thanksgiving as big of a deal on the island as it is on the mainland?

Oooooh yes. Whatever holidays are celebrated in the US mainland are also celebrated in PR, and many times with more fanfare. Expect many business to be closed. As a Puertorican, I can tell you that we never miss an opportunity to celebrate, get together, and have fun! 🤪