Edge vs Apex What will change?

johhnnyt

On 7/30/2019 at 3:35 PM, Mr Miserable said:

Oh please make the Apex better.

Whoever thought "infinite verandah" cabins were a good idea needs to be fired. 

Whoever put that carpet design in Eden needs to be fired.

Whoever designed the layout of Blu needs to be fired.

Whoever thought that removing the peg from the cabins needs to be fired.

Whoever didn't increase the drain size of the AQ cabins to allow for the extra water from the AQ showers needs to be fired.

Whoever came up with the Magic Carpet idea needs to be fired.

Whoever thinks that the cabanas are well sited needs to be fired.

Whoever signed off on all the above needs to be fired - that'll be you Lisa, bye bye.

By the way, I could go on as the list of what is wrong with the Edge is long but I suspect we would run out of staff to fire.

You forgot the elimination of the Sky Lounge.  Whoever made that decision should be fired.

Whoever got rid of the smaller intimate entertainment venues and replaced them with big and loud and shouty venues needs to be fired.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 11:18 AM, Sascol said:

Why was this a dumb idea?  The original concept was to better serve tendering with more room for improved tenders and to speed up the process.  It serves this purpose perfectly.  They later added to the concept that makes it multi function as a restaurant and a bar.  Don't like it?  Then don't use it.  It could not possibly impact you otherwise.

No using the Magic Carpet for tendering WAS a good idea.

Using it as a dining/entertainment area was a dumb idea.  When the ship is moving and no wind you have 20 MPH winds (the speed of the ship).  Unless they enclose it somehow it is a laughable and funny venue.  We tried it the first night on the ship.  There were 20 MPH winds and the ship was moving at 20 MPH. You have two speeds of wind on the Magic Carpet.  Windy and Very Very Windy.  LOL.  The Magic Carpet is a joke for dining and entertainment.  Too windy when the ship is moving.  I am not sure why Celebrity hypes it so much.  It is just a tendering carpet at best.  It is rather entertaining watching people trying to dine on the windy Magic Carpet.  But that gets old after the first drink.

When you take out the areas of the ship that you don't want to use on Edge there are very few left that you do wan't to use.  Put the Sky Lounge back in.  That is my number one complaint.  Put all of the areas back in that they took out and then you have a very nice ship.

Edited by NMTraveller

16 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

If anyone wants pictures of how windy the Magic Carpet is I have pictures taken by the onboard photographer.  We chuckle at the outrageous experience and the Magic Carpet. #FAIL

Edited by NMTraveller

We actually enjoyed most of the ship.  My pet peeves is that the magic carpet is a waste, when windy you cannot use it- it also obstructs view from cabins below as the railings are obstructive.  The infinite balconies are tiny areas making IMO the cabins smaller- like an outside cabin with a window- at least they should be priced as a delux window cabin. Eden is also silly and should be replaced.  Also the roof top restaurant/grill isn't protected from the environment and needs an enclosure to avoid the sun, rain and heat- Miss the true ice martini bar.

We still enjoyed the ship and will return.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 8:02 PM, BriSquared said:

I know this is an old thread...but the same way I just came across it, I wanted to provide an alternate perspective and different point of view. 

We loved Eden, from its carpet to its drinks, and meandering design with many places to engage with others or quiet time for yourself.  We loved the magic carpet, for a drink, a relaxing place to sit, or for dinner when offered.

Our friends stayed in an infinite veranda and loved it and want to book it again.

I came across this thread and thought it would be helpful to note that, while not for everyone, some of us think the ideas deserve a promotion rather than firing. This is not a slide against prior posters, but a different point of view. Yes, with any new ship, there are improvements to be made and Celebrity, as with the Millennium and Solstice class ships, will make adjustment with each ship release. There were 10 of us in varied cabins and after 14 nights we all walked off loving it and looking forward to booking again in the future. Personally, I look forward to trying the Apex and future cruises on other older and newer Celebrity ships.

I agree with you, different strokes for different folks and I guess thats why there are different classes of ships but I loved the Edge. Loved Eden, love Magic Carpet. Loved it so much we have booked Apex . 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 8:01 AM, hcat said:

Very Interesting.  Wonder where..what deck, etc.  ?

What would they move into its place?

Hope BLU gets a better location and view.  It sits alone next to Tiffany store on the way to EDEN,  and has a terrible view!  There were sev stories about how or why that happened..but  the end result  was a beautiful dining  room with no view and poor acoustics.   Layout  and location of the 4 mdrs was excellent this time around..we enjoyed that area.

The Aft elevators are quite  busy, esp at peak times.  We had the SV so we had to use them quite a bit..but we managed.

PS   DId you enjoy EDGE?

We enjoyed the Edge very much.  We had the Celebrity suite which was very nice.  So glad that the tub was not so deep that I couldn't get in to take a shower.  I still don't understand why they put in a tub when a nice big shower would have been so much nicer. The suite area was very nice and everything was all in one area.  The service was above par, the ship beautiful and the ports were great.

Pat

7 hours ago, RodPat said:

We enjoyed the Edge very much.  We had the Celebrity suite which was very nice.  So glad that the tub was not so deep that I couldn't get in to take a shower.  I still don't understand why they put in a tub when a nice big shower would have been so much nicer. The suite area was very nice and everything was all in one area.  The service was above par, the ship beautiful and the ports were great.

Pat

Some people bring young children on a cruise who prefer to take a bath instead of a shower- perhaps that is why they have a combo.  Nice to have both a walk in shower or a tub.  We had that once on the S class Royal suite!  What a treat that was!!

We also enjoyed the  EDGE on the Nov 15th ABC Islands itin in a Sunset Veranda....great view. Dining in the 4 ndrs was excellent all around.

It was our second time on EDGE, last Jan we were in AQ Class/ BLU in an Inf Veranda and liked that as well .....

EDGE was  even better second time around but  could use some more wind barriers all over and  more sun canopy at the Roof top Grill and park area up there  and Sunset Bar.

Sound is still loud in the Grand Plaza and some restaurants.

Hope APEX has some of these improvements..booked on her for next yr 

Magic Carpet is a very  nice spot when seas are calm....great views over the water!  "Dinner on the EDGE" was a huge hit with someone we spoke to...We did not make the list..I believe suites get priority 

Edited by hcat

9 hours ago, RodPat said:

Pat

We did a CS on Edge back in January.  We enjoyed it but wondering if they changed or improved anything?  The shower half door tended to leak on the bathroom floor.  Also do they still have the large rocking chair?  It was removed from sky suites several months ago.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:06 AM, TeeRick said:

We did a CS on Edge back in January.  We enjoyed it but wondering if they changed or improved anything?  The shower half door tended to leak on the bathroom floor.  Also do they still have the large rocking chair?  It was removed from sky suites several months ago.

They have changed the shower.  It now has glass across the whole tub with two doors in the middle to get in.  It didn't leak but I still would have preferred it to be just a shower.  The big rocking chair is still there but really did not get in the way.  I thought it was quite comfortable.  

Pat

On 12/6/2019 at 6:40 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Some people bring young children on a cruise who prefer to take a bath instead of a shower- perhaps that is why they have a combo.  Nice to have both a walk in shower or a tub.  We had that once on the S class Royal suite!  What a treat that was!!

On the S class we always take a Royal Suite.  I guess I am just spoiled by that room.  Other than the tub in the CS on Edge I was still quite pleased with the cabin.

Pat

11 hours ago, RodPat said:

They have changed the shower.  It now has glass across the whole tub with two doors in the middle to get in.  It didn't leak but I still would have preferred it to be just a shower.  The big rocking chair is still there but really did not get in the way.  I thought it was quite comfortable.  

Pat

We really liked the big rocking chair too.  That is why I asked.  We found the couch in the CS to be very hard and the sconce lights in back of it to be too low.  Kept hitting our heads!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We really liked the big rocking chair too.  That is why I asked.  We found the couch in the CS to be very hard and the sconce lights in back of it to be too low.  Kept hitting our heads!

The rocking chair in the sky suite was much too big- also the Sky suite didn't have a table to dine in the suite- glad it was removed .  Hopefully it has been replaced by a more useful coffee table.  The CS is larger and perhaps you had both.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:06 AM, TeeRick said:

I was in a CS on the crossing and I was told the rocking chair is now smaller than it used to be. We liked it. The shower doors were being fixed, 11110 did not leak and after the banging all night during a storm we figured out there are   magnets provided to keep them secure. It only took us five days to figure out the coffee table elevates for work or eating area.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hulamoon said:

I was in a CS on the crossing and I was told the rocking chair is now smaller than it used to be. We liked it. The shower doors were being fixed, 11110 did not leak and after the banging all night during a storm we figured out there are   magnets provided to keep them secure. It only took us five days to figure out the coffee table elevates for work or eating area.

We never knew or figured out the secret of the coffee table!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:56 AM, TeeRick said:

Is that what happens when one is over 6'6"+ tall???

😎

bon voyage

Just returned from the Edge two days ago...experiencing severe post cruise depression!

I read as much as I could about Edge pre-cruise and am happy to say that everything that might have diminished the experience for us had already been rectified. 

The volume of the music at the pool and martini bar was not so loud as reported; we could actually have a conversation (except during Silent Disco...and then it's all about the off key singing!).  The music was also "pleasant"...not head banging and not elevator music.  

We had a sunset verandah on deck nine...can't say too many times how glad I am that we switched to the SV from the IV.  Nothing can replace a SV...and reading a review just prior to our sailing, I saw that I was able to ask for and receive two loungers.

We took the ship's tour and were told by several people that "tweaks" were being made to Edge all the time based on passenger's comments and Celebrity's own observations.  Also told that the same "tweaks" would be made to Apex.

Most reviews I read said that cabin storage is plentiful; we didn't find that to be the case...could be that we overpacked (WHAT?) but I felt that the closet configuration was a bit odd with only 1/2 of the closet being able to hold full length clothes and the rest was broken up by some tiny drawers, a safe that barely held my wallet and a couple of other small rods.  Would love to see that revised.

Not sure I'll return to the Edge (mostly because of the price)...but I happy that I was able to sail on such a beautiful ship.

Next up:  Equinox

Susan

P.S.  Bo...thanks for disembarking without the aid of the National Guard...I half expected to see lots of flashing lights & official vehicles when we arrived at the port on 12/1.

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, ozark74 said:

While we were on the Edge in April we were told the Apex will be the same as the Edge. The Apex was to far along to change anything. The changes will come on 3.4. and 5.

There definitely will be changes starting with 3, which is Beyond.

Edge and Apex are sister ships, Beyond is supposed to be larger and different.

9 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Just returned from the Edge two days ago...experiencing severe post cruise depression!

I read as much as I could about Edge pre-cruise and am happy to say that everything that might have diminished the experience for us had already been rectified. 

We had a sunset verandah on deck nine...can't say too many times how glad I am that we switched to the SV from the IV....

Most reviews I read said that cabin storage is plentiful; we didn't find that to be the case...could be that we overpacked (WHAT?) but I felt that the closet configuration was a bit odd with only 1/2 of the closet being able to hold full length clothes and the rest was broken up by some tiny drawers, a safe that barely held my wallet and a couple of other small rods.  Would love to see that revised.

Susan

P.S.  Bo...thanks for disembarking without the aid of the National Guard...I feel your pain on the last day!!!

I agree with you about the lack of storage space, especially in cabins on the aft. Longer cruises are especially challenging trying to fit all the clothing for two adults in the space you described. Unfortunately, I fear that this problem will not be fixed on Apex.

• Like 1