Trip Insurance

LLCoolDoc

Hello!

I am thinking about booking a cruise for next July.......I am looking for insurance that would cover parent illness......my husband's mom is 90 and my mom has cancer......would like to be covered if either parent is very ill at the time of our trip.

Any advice on insurance?

You have received some excellent advice on the NCL Board.

Here are a few thoughts:

• @GeezerCouple advice of calling and discussing with a good broker would be my number one suggestion
  • Many plans will waive the "pre-existing condition" clause as long as you purchase he insurance within X days (usually 14-21) of making your initial deposit.  You also have to insure all non refundable costs of your trip.  Sometimes you can just insure the deposit, then add on other costs as you pay them.  This waiver of pre-existing conditions provision is not only critical because of your mom, but the way pre-existing conditions are defined, it could also apply to you, your husband or other non traveling family members.
  • You may also want to look at a cancel for any reason (CFAR) option.  You will pay extra for this, and you will only get a percentage of your money back.  I bring this up, because you could have a situation where one of your parents became ill and you decide to cancel the cruise. If they are ill enough that a physician determines you need to cancel your trip because of their illness, the cancellation will probably be a "covered reason".   If a physician will not provide that certification, but you decide not to go, then it most likely will not be a "covered reason" and you will get nothing from insurance without a CFAR provision.  This is just an example, and that is why it is always important to read the terms and conditions of any policy.

Good luck with your trip.