LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

Annie Frances gave an energetic and uplifting performance with songs of the sixties tonight.

The Orange Party followed with music in B.B.King.  While enjoying a few Dutch Cookies, we  found ourselves next to Captain Vaartjes .  He was happy to pose for a few photos (see below).

The last photo is of the band and a crowded dance floor.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

Today I took photos of the stand up card which has been on our table since the beginning of our cruise.

It is to inform us that lobster and a special steak is available to purchase at an uncharge in the Main Dining Room.

To me it is unnecessary clutter on the table, but since the table is shared by many every night,  it remains there throughout our dinners.

Interestingly, we have not had lobster yet on this cruise.  Last year we had lobster on the menu at least twice a week.  The tenderloin at last night's Gala night was tender and delicious, as was DH's venison tonight.  Another thing I often enjoy are the Items of Regional Interest.  They are usually interesting and delicious!

IMG_0587 (1).jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

We arrived at Isafjordur this morning and tendering began shortly after 8 a.m.  It is cold (40's) and foggy presently.  We are waiting for weather to improve.

Meanwhile, here are more photos from August 7th, at our lasts port in Greenland, Nanortalik.

The community and church

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 6

On 8/4/2019 at 1:16 AM, sansterre said:

It is a great itinerary, with very few sea days between some awesome ports.  

I will take a look and see what ship might be doing it next year.  This cruise has been going on for decades - very popular.  I can't imagine it won't continue.  Usually it makes 3 trips each summer:  

Europe to America, America back to Europe, and Europe back to America.

We received a notice today on next year's Voyage of the Vikings.  It is 35 days on the Zaandam,  departing Boston on July 18.  It looks like it will go to the Faroe Islands in 2020!

18 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I wonder if they have a high crime rate?

I doubt it - how could a criminal get away.  It would have been fun to talk with him.  Later, we saw him in his police car talking to some Zuiderdamers.  They were talking about how to pronounce the name of the towns.  He said one town in Iceland had 116 letters to its name and difficult for him too.  I don't think he was a local - didn't sound or look like it.

• Haha 1

Here are some photos of as close as DH and I are getting to Isafjordur today.  They were taken at approximately 8:00, 10:00, and noon.  This is a tender port and the temperature is 46 degrees out there with a North wind of 13 mph.

Last year we enjoyed this port.  It was a beautiful day and we had a full day tour around the Westfjord peninsula with stops at Dynjandi waterfall, an old viking area, and other historical points.  

For today, I am staying in our cabin, catching up on my reading.  The Roll Call book to read is Tulipomania by Mike Dash.  The book is the history of the tulip.  I am just getting started on it but intrigued to find out how a tulip bulb could cost more than a price of a house.

HAL does not seem to have a Book Club on this cruise.  We thought they might, but for me, reading just one book will suffice on this cruise.  There just aren't enough sea days:-)

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

Revised departure from our next port, Akureyri,  August 11th.

The captain has changed departure from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 pm due to some bad weather between Akiureyri and our next port of Bergen, Norway.  He mentioned that we needed to leave port earlier than planned due to 45 mph wind and 6 meter high waves.

Good decision Captain Vaartjes!

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

We’re out on a whale watching tour this afternoon. Just saw several whales out in the fjord and their tail flukes as they dove down. Also puffins out here!  Cold but a great trip. 

We did get to see some whales near the ship this year but we had to go look for the puffins

IMG_3781%20-%20Copy_zpssiwcs4jf.jpg

IMG_2793%203_zpszdvbjzx0.jpg

IMG_2796_zpscff2zawp.jpg

IMG_5266_zpsjuzyd5xi.jpg

IMG_5325_zpsfyulw3uh.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sansterre said:

We received a notice today on next year's Voyage of the Vikings.  It is 35 days on the Zaandam,  departing Boston on July 18.  It looks like it will go to the Faroe Islands in 2020!

Have enjoyed catching up with your reports today!  We have visited many of the same ports on various WB TAs on Princess ships (we also sail on HAL and Celebrity; last HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam--loved it!), but usually in the fall.  So nice to see what things look like in the summer!  And weather is definitely better!!  It was snowing and in the 30s when we were in Nuuk.  Loved your puffin photos and we had hoped to see some when our WB TA stopped at the Faroes some years ago.  One of our fellow cruisers had arranged a boat trip to see them, but, sadly, weather wasn't cooperative.

Good morning from Akureyri

Wind 24 mph and rain with temperatures in the 40's is not attractive this morning.

Last year when we were here it was a bright and sunny day.  Akureyri is lovely in sunshine. 

We had planned on attending 11:00 church service in town but now re-thinking.

Plan B:  going across the street to the Into the Arctic exhibition 

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2