LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

On 8/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, sansterre said:

Today was a rainy and cold day in Djupivogur, Iceland.  We were on a tour of 18 people to see the Hoffellsjokull Glacier.  We drove for two hours in the rain to get there, spent about an hour at the glacier without rain, and drove two hours home with rain most of the time.  So we were very lucky with the weather.

Now we are cruising WSW around the southern coast of Iceland.  According to the Captain, ships are required to stay away from some of the southern coast to protect the environment.

Photos of glaciers and horses later.

I'd love to ride an Icelandic horse!  

Do you have the tour excursion book for this cruise?

The tender is back to the Zuiderdam and we are underway again.  Time for dinner (5:15) so I will post the village pictures later tonight.

We have spent most the day in the Sound with beautiful clear blue skies.  The captain said it will be windy once we get back out to the ocean so best to spend lots of time in this beautiful area.

3 hours ago, sansterre said:

After lunch we noticed the ship was still turning at the glacier so we captured a few more of these beautiful glaciers glistening in the bright sunshine.  This time, without the rain-spattered windows.  

What a beautiful world!

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Enjoying your review and beautiful pictures.  

It is a beautiful morning in Qaqortoq, Greenland.  The ship at dock is called "World Explorer".  Today we will go in to walk around.  We did the same last year and found it to be a pleasant town.  We remember visiting the post office, grocery store, and a small museum.

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 5:27 AM, sansterre said:

What a difference 12 hours makes!

We are still on the same course of 225 to the SW, headed for the Eastern entrance of Prince Christian Sound.

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

That was quite a storm!  Glad for you it has calmed for the stops in Greenland.    

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

Yes, I do still have it.  What would you like to know?

It's just a "dream book".  When we book I'll try to get one from HAL.

Hearing your experience with riding the horses I may forgo it!  I thought their unique trot was supposed to be comfortable. 🤨

2 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

It's just a "dream book".  When we book I'll try to get one from HAL.

Hearing your experience with riding the horses I may forgo it!  I thought their unique trot was supposed to be comfortable. 🤨

I think it might be a comfortable trot for more experienced riders.  We all just ended up bouncing along.

I'll look to see if HAL offers an excursion for riding the horses.  But there are many tourism offices that would accommodate you as well.

Edited by sansterre

I just realized that you could probably find this tour option on the HAL website.  But rather than try to explain how, it is easier to retype the tour here:

Iceland on horseback:  2.5 hours

Excellent opportunity for horse experts and novices alike to enjoy horseback riding on the famous breed of Icelandic pony.  This excursion is accompanied by an expert rider, and takes you through scenic and interesting areas of farmland and valleys.  All necessary riding gear is supplied.  Notes:  Maximum weight is 220 lbs. Min. are is 8 years. $159.95

Having been to Qaqortoq on the Voyage of the Vikings last year, we were surprised to see another cruise ship, World Explorer dock in the town.  A building crane was on the horizon to the left and new houses were visible on all the upper levels, reaching high into the hills. This town is growing!

We had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR this morning and took a few photos of the Qaqortoq in the bright morning sunlight.  The clouds rolled in as we boarded a tender for town.  Here are some photos I took while on the tender.

Note the crowds at the tender dock in front of the visitors center (Welcome to Qaqortoq). There must have been a problem with one of the tenders this morning as the tender at the dock left empty, while the line grew longer.  

We had an enjoyable walk around town, staying on the lower level this visit.  (And no waiting line when we returned around 2.)

More later,

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

Qaqortok, a town of about 3,000 inhabitants is the largest town in Southern Greenland.  It is known for its "Stone and Man" sculpture, and other interesting rock sculptures around the natural stone areas in town.

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 5

As I look at the photos of "Stone and Man" again, I think the ones taken from the lower level, further away, with some people to show scope of size are much better.  These sculptures are well done and very clever.

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3

The colorful wildflowers, such beauty growing in the rocky soil......they really made my day!

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

This one looks like delphinium growing in the wild.

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 5

Here are some old wooden buildings we walked past near the town center, not far from the tender dock.

a very large home,

the old church built in 1832 (there is also a new Lutheran church on the hill above town built in 1973),

the oldest fountain in Greenland (built in 1927) in front of a general store,

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

• Like 1