LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

And, finally, inside the General Store, there was everything from guns to yarn.  Notice  the easy-to-use containers their ketchup, mustard, and various sauces come in!  Other interesting canned items included tuna and huge cans of white asparagus.  With only 20 Danish krona left, I was limited to a choice of candy or colorful pastry.  I chose a KEX bar - will report on it tomorrow 🙂

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

The room service guy told us that if we had the lobster for dinner  he would get a special lunch . We think that's great and were thrilled for him and we had a huge tail for dinner enough for 2 .

I thought you or your room service/dining steward? guy was kidding.  So I asked our dining steward and he said that is true.  They get a special lunch or breakfast or some time off.  It sure seems like an odd promotion to me.  And I wonder -  is this going on throughout the Holland America fleet?  or just on Voyage of the Vikings with an extra supply of Maine lobsters on board?

Today we are sailing SW on a course of 213 degrees through the Labrador Sea to  

St. Anthony, Newfoundland at 17 knots.  It is 48 degrees at 10 a.m. and mostly cloudy.  Wind is 21 mph out of the NNW so that makes for a slightly bumpy ride.

The captain said it should be enjoyable day at sea today and to be on the lookout for  icebergs which frequent this area!

I am off to knitting in the Exploration Lounge now.  More later.

Edited by sansterre

The room service guy told us that if we had the lobster for dinner  he would get a special lunch . We think that's great and were thrilled for him and we had a huge tail for dinner enough for 2 .

I thought you or your room service/dining steward? guy was kidding.  So I asked our dining steward and he said that is true.  They get a special lunch or breakfast or some time off.  It sure seems like an odd promotion to me.  And I wonder -  is this going on throughout the Holland America fleet?  or just on Voyage of the Vikings with an extra supply of Maine lobsters on board?

We would not have known about this if our room service guy had not informed us on our Northern Isles cruise in June . These types of incentives are common on Princess with special meals , time off  , a consummate host recognition and job promotions as part of their program . Their employees tend to be very loyal to their company and seem to be very happy and motivated . We wish that all cruise lines would take good care of their employees .

Cruise Loyalty & Recognition Programs

The CRUISE program began on our ships in 1996 as a way of distinguishing our company from other cruise lines through excellent customer service. As a result, our scores in guest satisfaction climbed to new heights, demonstrating our crew members' dedication to providing the highest level of service.

Today, the CRUISE program is embraced and exemplified by shipboard and shoreside staff alike and forms the basis for the teamwork and pride that have come to define Princess Cruises.

Our overarching goal is to always be The Consummate Host and consistently deliver great service to our guests and colleagues. We achieve this when every employee lives our core values. The CRUISE program rewards, recognizes, educates, and supports employees with this ultimate goal in mind.

Consummate Host of the Month logo

CONSUMMATE HOST OF THE MONTH

The Consummate Host of the Month program recognizes those who have gone above and beyond their work responsibilities to support the company's customer service principles.

Winners are often those who work diligently and modestly behind the scenes to support the success and growth of their departments. The Consummate Host of the Month program recognizes extra performance efforts and teamwork.

Consummate Host of the Year logo

CONSUMMATE HOST OF THE YEAR

Consummate Host of the Year recognition is generally considered to be the company's top honor, rewarding a deserving individual for his or her dedication, service, and attitude. One shoreside winner and one shipboard winner are named each year.

We Innovate Award logo

WE INNOVATE AWARD

The We Innovate program rewards the best shipboard or shoreside service improvement innovations suggested by team members on land or at sea.

Edited by scubacruiserx2

21 hours ago, sansterre said:

I just realized that you could probably find this tour option on the HAL website.  But rather than try to explain how, it is easier to retype the tour here:

Iceland on horseback:  2.5 hours

Excellent opportunity for horse experts and novices alike to enjoy horseback riding on the famous breed of Icelandic pony.  This excursion is accompanied by an expert rider, and takes you through scenic and interesting areas of farmland and valleys.  All necessary riding gear is supplied.  Notes:  Maximum weight is 220 lbs. Min. are is 8 years. $159.95

thank you!

52 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

We'll be sailing on Rotterdam this fall.  Have they added any more outlets in the cabins or only the two at the desk?

Thanks

We just have the two at the desk in our veranda cabin on Deck 6.  I can charge my iPhone by the bed......and I do that just about every night.  

Sorry about that. Here are some of my shots from Greenland yesterday. I bought a pair of sealskin mittens, which should be good for winter walks. Sorry, seem to be having some trouble getting them to display.

IMG_3139.HEICIMG_3138.HEICIMG_3136.HEIC IMG_3134.HEICIMG_3130.HEICIMG_3129.HEICIMG_3135.HEIC

Edited by Wehwalt

Been reading your blog and enjoying your adventure.

Hate to tell you but due to the 1972 Marine Mammal Projection Act you can't bring your seal skin mittens into the USA.

They will be confiscated when you go through customs.  This has happen before to cruisers and there are plenty of  articles on the internet about people being shocked when they are taken away.  Any product with seal skin is not allowed.

image.png.ff6bec64bef3ff11831e97d5a2ec201e.png

Crafts went well today - we did quilling and made cards.  Crafts with Maureen is held on sea days on MDR, Deck 3.  

Deck 3 dining room has these lamps on every table.  They are supin place of the fresh flowers.  To me they look silly on the tables and they don't even light up!   

I would much rather see a vase with a few mums.

IMG_2059.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

Good morning St. Anthony, Newfoundland!

It is a cold (46 degrees) drizzly  morning here. I'm hoping the weather clears and warms up for all those fellow cruisers who I encouraged to spend the day at L'Anse aux Meadows.  

We  took went there with Danny last year and found it to be a wonderful conclusion to the Voyage of the Vikings.  His tour also goes to Norsted which is a reconstructed as the Vikings would have lived about a thousand years ago.  

Whether you take a HAL EXC tour or Danny's tour, L'anse aux Meadows is a "must see".  I could post my photos from last year here, but I'm hoping others will post some of theirs on here.

IMG_2069.jpgOn the right side of the photo above, you can see two HAL tenders coming and going from the tender port.  It is quite far, but the waters are very calm.  IF the weather improves, we will go in just to walk around and visit a wonderful gift shop I remember at the tender port.  Meanwhile I will post some photos I took yesterday around the ship and at dinner in the Pinnacle restaurant.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

There are two 115 volt outlets, two two-pin European and two USB ports above the desk in my Deck 5 balcony,  and another USB port on each side of the bed.

Thank you for that more technical description of electrical outlets.

Interestingly, at our Deck 6 balcony desk, we have just one 115 volt outlet and one two-pin European outlet.  We always travel with an accessory that turns the one outlet into three which works well for DH camera and iPad and my laptop, as well as hairdryer if needed.   I use one of the two USB ports to charge my iPhone/camera.

Wehwalt, I hope you can post those photos.  I'm sure they are wonderful.  Can you make them smaller when you download?  Some, but not all, looked to take a lot of space.  I've had a few of mine refuse to upload for no apparent reason too.  It is frustrating!

The Lido Market Place was held yesterday, between the hours of 10 and 12 at the 

Lido Poolside.

Part of it was the usual $10 SALE items and 30 percent off warm weather clothing.

IMG_2047.jpgBut there was more at this Market Place!  We had the vegetable carving and bread art.  Ice carving was not there.

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2051.jpgFor those interested, here is his recipe:

2 cups flour

1 cup water

1/2 cup salt

Bake sculpted item for one hour at 90 degrees (90 degrees C is about 200 degrees F) so I would set my oven at 200.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sansterre said:

The Lido Market Place was held yesterday, between the hours of 10 and 12 at the 

Lido Poolside.

Part of it was the usual $10 SALE items and 30 percent off warm weather clothing.

IMG_2047.jpgBut there was more at this Market Place!  We had the vegetable carving and bread art.  Ice carving was not there.

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2051.jpgFor those interested, here is his recipe:

2 cups flour

1 cup water

1/2 cup salt

Bake sculpted item for one hour at 90 degrees (90 degrees C is about 200 degrees F) so I would set my oven at 200.

Thanks for these.  Hope you have a nice day in Newfoundland.   

.......and there was more at the Lido Market Place.  Shore excursion was offering a chance at 10 percent off, premium wine bottles were 25 percent off, the Greenhouse Spa had some special offerings and the room stewards were there with a book on how to make their towel creations.

IMG_2055.jpg

• Like 1

.............and the Pinnacle was there with something new - a book called Food Faces, 150 Feasts for the Eyes by Rudi Sodami, Forward by Thomas Keller.  The book is sold along with a plate (your choice of one of the two pictured) for $40.

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2057.jpgAlso on the table were the featured lobster and the "largest steak at sea" which are offered for a premium price at both the Pinnacle and Main Dining Room.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

..........and speaking of the Pinnacle, we were there last night for dinner.

Notice the flowers are still on the dining tables in the Pinnacle!

There is also the addition of what appears to be a light on each table.  They do not function as a light and IMO, merely take up space.

IMG_2063.jpgI had two of the new items on the menu:

1.  Clothesline Candied Bacon, an appetizer

(good, but a bit too casual for the Pinnacle)

2.  Gourmet Cheesecake Lollipops, a dessert

(fun and delicious light end for a big meal)

IMG_1475 (1).jpg

IMG_2060 (1).jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

The removal of the flowers from the MDR and the Lido were at the top of my comment list.  We were told that some guests complained of allergies, but couldn't they be removed from just those people's tables?  The fact that the Pinnacle still has live florals proves my point.

• Like 2