LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

Back to our Voyage on the Zuiderdam.  We are now on a course SE toward Halifax and should arrive mid-afternoon.

The seas were a little rough last evening (10 feet) but, as always, the Zuiderdam was comfortable going through them.

We are still on European connection for our television so do not get ESPN or ESPN2.  I'm hoping the ship will switch over to North America so I can catch a little College Football today.  As well, it would be nice to see the U.S. Tennis Open highlights!

No one seems to know when that will happen or who makes the decision when it occurs.

Edited by sansterre

9 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Back to our Voyage on the Zuiderdam.  We are now on a course SE toward Halifax and should arrive mid-afternoon.

The seas were a little rough last evening (10 feet) but, as always, the Zuiderdam was comfortable going through them.

We are still on European connection for our television so do not get ESPN or ESPN2.  I'm hoping the ship will switch over to North America so I can catch a little College Football today.  As well, it would be nice to see the U.S. Tennis Open highlights!

No one seems to know when that will happen or who makes the decision when it occurs.

Good morning here in San Diego!!

First I sure hope you can get some US OPEN to watch!! Great 🎾 tennis!

Smooth Sailings into Halifax.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Lot's of good news!

1.  ESPN and ESPN 2 are now on!

2.  We had a beautiful sail into Halifax and are now secured at Pier 21.  Pictures later!

3.  It is a gorgeous day here - sunny and temperatures in the 70's.  We are going to walk around a little before dinner.

4.  Dorian looks like it may go North before reaching our house.

• Like 3

Just wanted to report that with the latest advisory that has just come out for Dorian and those involved with flights to Orlando that the airport will not be closing and operations will be as scheduled. But remember any changes to the projected track could reverse this. Good luck to everyone and hope you make it home safely.

Edited by rjbean4

We are now sailing slowly (12 knots) toward Boston.  We should arrive around 7.  Weather there should be sunny and mid 70's.  

Today we spent most of the time packing and figuring out how we were getting home.  Orlando airport reversed their decision to close today which was a relief.

But then, as we were packing out clothes this afternoon, we heard that Orlando airport was closing and all Tuesday flights were cancelled.  We were able to use the guest services phone and, after nearly an hour, changed our flight to Tampa instead of Orlando. Flights Tuesday were full, but we are now booked on an early Wednesday non-stop flight.

Whew! 

Now to figure out where to spend the night!

And soon I will post some wonderful photos from Flemming Park and the Public Park in Halifax.  I took at least 50 photos - it was a great day to be in Halifax.  We were fortunate to have a dear friend who lives in Halifax take a few of us to some lesser known places.  Thank you Tracey!

Meanwhile, if others would like to share their photos, please do.  There are so many great things to see and do in Halifax.  I love that city and the surrounding area.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your reports and pictures!  Safe trip home and hoping no damage for you.  We have place at the coast in NC...and waiting waiting to see what happens...this time of the year is not good...don't like hurricane season!!

Thanks for your wonderful review - the photos have been wonderful.  So glad you’ve been able to make alternative travel plans that aren’t too burdensome.  Hurricanes are never good.  We live in the area where Hurricane Michael hit last year.  So many lives were upended.  Hopefully, Dorian will stay offshore from the U.S.  Prayers to those in the Bahamas.

Edited by Mtn2Sea

I've followed along from the beginning, and enjoyed your posts very much. You have reminded me of places I have seen, and it was nice to be brought back there. Loved some of your pictures. 

Happy you have decent travel arrangements. Have your checked with the Logan Hilton for availability? It's easy to get back into Boston from there, and it will be close for your early morning flight. 
You have a gorgeous day to enjoy the city, so take that as a gift. 

Thanks for your posts. Have a safe trip home, and I hope that all is well there. 

Halifax Public Park is a Victorian Garden of 16 marvelous acres of nicely laid out paths among some of the most beautiful flowers.  It began in 1867.  Be sure to visit this lovely place.

IMG_2202.jpg

At this time of late summer, the Dahlia are the highlight.  They were in every possible color and sizes ran from 4 inches to 9 inches in diameter. There is a bug on the pink dahlia on the left above which will help give some perspective.

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

But there is more in the Public Garden - so much more!  Our friend, and guide, Tracy wove us through the paths of most of the 16 acres.   I picked just a few of my photos to share below. 

The bandshell, recently renovated.  Band concert from 2-4 today!

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

The historic Horticulture House where we had coffee and cake on the porch during the band concert.

IMG_2226.jpg

a model of the Titanic!

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

We disembarked the Zuiderdam at 8:30.  Meeting the immigration officials in the Hudson room on Deck 3 went smoothly but I was disappointed that there were only a waiter and a couple office personnel at the exit;  I guess they were our farewell committee.  I had hoped to see the Cruise Director and Hotel Manager, both of whom we rarely saw anywhere on the ship.

We did see the captain frequently, both inside and outside the ship.  And we played trivia (usually twice a day) with the assistant cruise director.  However, the responsibilities of  the Cruise Director/Travel guide Jonathan and the Port/Travel guide Jessica and Assistant Cruise Director Erica are difficult to understand.  I think those positions are changing fleet wide, but I wish HAL would go back to the old ways when the Cruise Director interacted more with the passengers.  This goes for the officers too - I long for the 5 star cocktail parties of the past when we could chat with any and all of them.

After disembarking we boarded a bus and took a nice tour of Boston and Cambridge which dropped us off at the airport at 3.  From there we went to the Embassy Suite (same hotel we stayed at prior to our cruise and one we knew had a good shuttle to and from the airport) for the night.  We should fly home tomorrow. 

I hope to finish this blog with a few more photos I've taken on the ship and a few of our bright sunny day in Boston.  I'll also answer any questions you might have the next day or two as we work our way back home.

• Like 1