Veranda vs. Vista Suite

tsxgray1

8 minutes ago, tsxgray1 said:

I am about to book a cruise on the Koningsdam - what are the differences between a veranda cabin and vista suite?  The descriptions on the website seem so similar.  

The vista is just slightly larger than the verandah cabin.

From what I have heard from my PCC and others, a lot of the additional space is basically wasted space and not useable.

Loved my vista Suite!  Yes a little bigger...…..yes extra mariner points.  I loved the layout....bed next to sliding door instead of couch.

I sit up late and read when husband has gone to bed.  There was a partial wall between couch and bed.  I felt like the sitting area was its own separate space.

• Like 1

And then there is the "Inside Veranda Cabin" on some HAL ships.  At least that is what the personalized stationary we received in our cabin said.  After spending way too many hours (kidding) searching our inside cabin for our Veranda I realized that the name referred to being on the Veranda Deck of the ship. For some reason I found the name amusing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

No difference, just the name and the price of course...

Actually there is a difference on the Pinnacle ships and that’s what the OP inquired about.  They are sailing on the Koningsdam.  On that ship and the other Pinnacle, there are verandahs and vista suites.  There is a difference unlike the other ships in the HAL fleet.

Yes, on the K the difference is the cabin layout.  You get a slightly larger sitting area which appears to be separated by a half wall.  Is this important to you?  However, if you book one of the verandah cabins which has 405 square feet, most of which is large balcony, you may have the best of both worlds for a decent fare.  You do get double points in the Vista Suite, but no perks that approach those you'd receive in a Pinnacle Suite.  I don't even believe you get priority check-in/boarding unless you're 4*. 

You have to decide if the extra seating space is worth the extra $$.  Let us know what you decide.

Here'a different option for you....I was on the Koningsdam in a verandah (room 4191) on Beethoven (4) deck.  We had 3 rooms side by side by side and they were HUGE verandahs....WAY deeper than other verandahs!  (We also had the divider on the deck opened). I would go for one of these, as I spent WAY more time on my verandah than in the room.   Here's the video....and apologies for the cheesy video....I'm a photographer, not a videographer!

• Like 2

We did an upsell to a Vista suite on the Volendam to Alaska in May.  I did like the extra space and the balcony was roomy.  Would I spend the extra money for it versus a regular verandah cabin....no as we are comfortable booking a verandah and are okay with that size of cabin.  It was nice to have the extra room though lol.

7 minutes ago, cormike1 said:

We did an upsell to a Vista suite on the Volendam to Alaska in May. ... Would I spend the extra money for it versus a regular verandah cabin....no as we are comfortable booking a verandah and are okay with that size of cabin.

On the Volendam there is no such thing as a "regular verandah cabin" - the lowest class with a balcony is a Vista Suite.  On the K'dam that the OP is asking about there is a difference between a Vista and a Verandah cabin, although not a lot of difference.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, catl331 said:

On the Volendam there is no such thing as a "regular veranda cabin" - the lowest class with a balcony is a Vista Suite.  On the K'dam that the OP is asking about there is a difference between a Vista and a Verandah cabin, although not a lot of difference.

cat1331...your are right about the cabins on the Volendam....we had booked an inside and got an upsell for the Vista Suite cabin.  We have been on other HAL ships that do have regular veranda cabins so that was why I said we did like either but would probably not pay for a Vista suite if there were regular veranda  cabins available.

7 hours ago, cormike1 said:

We did an upsell to a Vista suite on the Volendam to Alaska in May.  I did like the extra space and the balcony was roomy.  Would I spend the extra money for it versus a regular verandah cabin....no as we are comfortable booking a verandah and are okay with that size of cabin.  It was nice to have the extra room though lol.

Can I ask how much your upsell was?

1 hour ago, leerathje said:

Can I ask how much your upsell was?

We had booked an inside and the upsell was a weird amount...something like $362 each.  I don't keep my paperwork once we are home and my memory isn't like it was lol.  and because it was a strange amount, not like $300 even, I can't remember exactly the amount.  We were going with long distance friends and were e-mailing back and forth so that is another reason I am not exactly sure.  We thought it was a good offer though.