How much is a third person in a cabin typically?

Eli_6

So...let me explain.

We were booked in two rooms on one of the Vista sailings that was cancelled due to the ship going into dry dock. We got a future cruise credit.  There are no problems with trying to rebook my room with my husband. The problem is trying to rebook the second room.

We are attempting to rebook the EXACT same room with the exact same three people.  On the first cruise (the one we have the cruise credit for), this is how the credit is allocated:

Guest 1: $1149

Guest 2: $1149

Guest 3: $404

On the cruise I am trying to rebook, this is what they are charging me:

Guest 3: $1049

Why is my third guest suddenly $645 more?  Anyone experience this? Does the cabin cost more and this is simply how they are allocating it? I am completely confused.

Also annoyed because I could literally take a fourth person and book two 2-person rooms  and come out only owing about $200 more than booking a single 3-person room which seems ridiculous. And I could actually get it on the same deck with my husband and I right across the hall instead of down in the bottom of the ship where apparently they put manynof the 3-person rooms.  I am actually thinking about doing this but can't think of a third person to take who would come by themselves at Christmas and also would be willing to stay in a room with my kid...  

Called carnival already and didn't really get an answer, but I had five other questions and was on the phone for 30 minutes so not going to call back again. 

lots of different factors go into it. destinations and date are the biggest factors.

cruise I did with 3 people it was pretty much just port fees for the third person, looked at another cruise with same 3 and it was like you are seeing.

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

So...let me explain.

We were booked in two rooms on one of the Vista sailings that was cancelled due to the ship going into dry dock. We got a future cruise credit.  There are no problems with trying to rebook my room with my husband. The problem is trying to rebook the second room.

We are attempting to rebook the EXACT same room with the exact same three people.  On the first cruise (the one we have the cruise credit for), this is how the credit is allocated:

Why is my third guest suddenly $645 more?  Anyone experience this? Does the cabin cost more and this is simply how they are allocating it? I am completely confused.

Also annoyed because I could literally take a fourth person and book two 2-person rooms  and come out only owing about $200 more than booking a single 3-person room which seems ridiculous. And I could actually get it on the same deck with my husband and I right across the hall instead of down in the bottom of the ship where apparently they put manynof the 3-person rooms.  I am actually thinking about doing this but can't think of a third person to take who would come by themselves at Christmas and also would be willing to stay in a room with my kid...  

Called carnival already and didn't really get an answer, but I had five other questions and was on the phone for 30 minutes so not going to call back again. 

You don't state the ship/date/cabin catagory etc.....but that seems really really high.  Of course, different times of year and sales (I use that term 'loosely'....LOL) affect 3/4 person pricing....but we sail a lot with a 3rd person and have paid from $99 (at the lowest end) to $399, but never much more than that for balcony cabins.  $1045 for 3rd person seems staggering high, unless you are booking a suite for "3" and then the cost is divided among the 3 and quite a bit higher???  Otherwise, for balcony cabins, OV, inside....that seems ridiculous (but you don't state the cabin catagory).

• Like 1

Just now, robc1972 said:

lots of different factors go into it. destinations and date are the biggest factors.

cruise I did with 3 people it was pretty much just port fees for the third person, looked at another cruise with same 3 and it was like you are seeing.

It's the same ship with the same destinations and literally the same EXACT room on the cruise ship.

Obviously dates are different. It may simply be that the dates are different and the room costs more, but I am confused why they are sticking all of that on the third person.  It just seems weird to me. I am trying to find someone who will come as a fourth person anyway simply because I would rather have my kids nearby me.

7 minutes ago, buddylover said:

You don't state the ship/date/cabin catagory etc.....but that seems really really high.  Of course, different times of year and sales (I use that term 'loosely'....LOL) affect 3/4 person pricing....but we sail a lot with a 3rd person and have paid from $99 (at the lowest end) to $399, but never much more than that for balcony cabins.  $1045 for 3rd person seems staggering high, unless you are booking a suite for "3" and then the cost is divided among the 3 and quite a bit higher???  Otherwise, for balcony cabins, OV, inside....that seems ridiculous (but you don't state the cabin catagory).

It is one of their family rooms with a window in the corner of the ship on the Vista on December 21.  Prior booking was in July.  

Literally, could put them in Havana aft view balcony NEXT door to me for only a couple of hundred dollars more if I could book someone under 12 and they let you book 3 people in a 2 person cabin.  (Not trying to get them in the Havana pool area as I plan on taking them to kids club anyway.)

I can book two interior rooms across the hallway for basically the same price if I can find a fourth person to come. 

Edited by Eli_6
But, no, it is not a suite.

Just now, buddylover said:

Wait, I just reread your post.....is the 3rd person being rebooked in a room by themselves (solo)??  If so, then they pay 'double occupancy' and that amount, depending on the cabin (balcony, OV or inside) will determine the double cost (and it may be less because they are only charged taxes/fees for one person and not 2 when booking solo).  Not sure if that is the way you booked on the first booking, as that $$ amount looks to be for a 3 person in the SAME cabin.....while pricing the rebooking looks to be a 'solo' cabin at double occupancy??

51 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

It is one of their family rooms with a window in the corner of the ship on the Vista on December 21.  Prior booking was in July.  

Literally, could put them in Havana aft view balcony NEXT door to me for only a couple of hundred dollars more if I could book someone under 12 and they let you book 3 people in a 2 person cabin.  (Not trying to get them in the Havana pool area as I plan on taking them to kids club anyway.)

I can book two interior rooms across the hallway for basically the same price if I can find a fourth person to come. 

It’s over Christmas, that’s the reason. Costs skyrocket over the holidays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

So...let me explain.

On the Dream, I see a third passenger sailing for $9 (plus tax)! 🤣

The answer is simple, you are trying to book a cruise over Christmas. We have cruised on Carnival over most holidays including Christmas, over spring break, in the Summer, etc. Cruises over Christmas are the most expensive by a good margin from our experience. Usually adding a 3rd and 4th person to a cabin saves money. However, last year there wasn’t much of a discount for the third person in our cabin during a Christmas cruise on Miracle. 

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

So...let me explain.

Its always different.    I just looked at our booking for next April 4th on the Breeze in a Lido balcony...1st and 2nd are 1093 a person and 3rd is $199.

But if I try to book that same cruise right now...its 1343 for 1st and 2nd and 3rd is $49.    More overall .

I have seen anywhere from $9.00 for that 3rd person up to more than the 1st and 2nd.   It is about the time of year you are going--Christmas means families, so they can get more for the extra people.

Edited by bingomamma19

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

It’s over Christmas, that’s the reason. Costs skyrocket over the holidays. 

I can second this...

My family is on a 5 day cruise on 11/23 from Tampa which returns on Thanksgiving Day.  

If you try to book a cabin on that ship right now, for an inside room, you'll see that the 1st and 2nd passengers pay $519/pp.  However, if you try to add a 3rd passenger, it is a whopping $849 for the 3rd passenger!!  However, to add a 4th passenger, it's only $369.  Strange.

Looks like they're trying to capitalize on families traveling during that holiday period.

Garnett

• Like 1

Carnival has algorithms that will tell them when there is the highest probability of people booking rooms with 3 or 4 persons.  Because they know when the demand will be the highest for these type of rooms, the prices increase for those sailings.  Typically, this happens during the summer, spring break, and over Christmas when most families are sailing.

• Like 1

I think you all are 100 percent on the money about it being because it is at Christmas and charging a premium for the "family" cabins.

I got SUPER excited for about two seconds figuring I could book them ALL in a Grand Suite and then the adults would have access to Havana, but then saw the only available GS was right next to the IMAX and I can imagine that would equal almost constant noise. I even Googled and prior occupants said they would not take one of those rooms for free.

So, I think I am just going to opt for booking them in two rooms right near me and trying to get a 4th person to go... it's nearly the same price and that way they are close.  Carnival said I can keep the 4th person TBD until October when final payment is due.  I have calls out to my single brother and my single Dad and have a couple of other ideas.  Who would not want to go on a free cruise? And I can always put them in a cabin with my 7 year old who was born old and would make an easy going roommate. Although, he will still probably end up in the room with my nanny and his brother anyway... My 7 year old is actually almost the same person as my 80 year old Dad: He falls asleep at 8 pm, does nothing but read, and the only annoying trait he has is to inform you when he has to make a bowel movement (as though that information is highly important).

14 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

It's the same ship with the same destinations and literally the same EXACT room on the cruise ship.

Obviously dates are different. It may simply be that the dates are different and the room costs more, but I am confused why they are sticking all of that on the third person.  It just seems weird to me. I am trying to find someone who will come as a fourth person anyway simply because I would rather have my kids nearby me.

Yes to the bolded part. You've answered your own question.