When I get older... - Spirit of Discovery review

Mattsudds

On 8/6/2019 at 6:24 AM, hermioneb said:

We are on board now, on the fourth day of a two week cruise, Gourmet Spain.  I would agree with all that has been said by Janecamebridge. Ship, staff, food all wonderful.  I will write a full review on our return, but having too much fun to do so now! If anyone has any specific questions I will try and answer them over the next few days, but am trying not to look at my Ipad too often.

We are on board now, on the fourth day of a two week cruise, Gourmet Spain.  I would agree with all that has been said by Janecamebridge. Ship, staff, food all wonderful.  I will write a full review on our return, but having too much fun to do so now! If anyone has any specific questions I will try and answer them over the next few days, but am trying not to look at my Ipad too often.

Hi,

My Wife and I are on the Norway Rocks Itinerary on the 26 Sep. This will be our first Cruise with Saga although we have been cruising since 2001. I would be very grateful if you could give your thoughts on the entertainment provided in the Theatre.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hermione, 

How many formals have you had on your 14 night cruise and how strictly are they enforced?

Can men wear a jacket and tie?

Are the beds hard or soft or somewhere in between?

😁

Hermione - you will be back tomorrow - hope you will have time to do a report on this cruise, as you will see lots of people have questions about almost everything!  As well as how formal formal nights were, I wonder how easy it was to book for the alternative restaurants, and if you enjoyed them.

I do hope it was lovely - have seen a couple of the Captain's blogs, and you did have some good weather.  We have cruised with Captain S a few times  - does he still go on a bit about sanitising your hands?

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I do hope it was lovely - have seen a couple of the Captain's blogs, and you did have some good weather.  We have cruised with Captain S a few times  - does he still go on a bit about sanitising your hands?

Where can you find the Captain’s blogs please?

On 8/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, lincslady said:

Hermione - you will be back tomorrow - hope you will have time to do a report on this cruise, as you will see lots of people have questions about almost everything!  As well as how formal formal nights were, I wonder how easy it was to book for the alternative restaurants, and if you enjoyed them.

We are now home and can say that we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise.  I will do a full report, once I have dealt with all the laundry!  It was our first cruise with Saga and we were very impressed with the crew, the food, the entertainment and the general atmosphere.

There were three formal nights during our fourteen days. We thought that about eighty percent of the men were wearing dinner jackets and the rest were in suits.  On previous cruises with different lines we have seldom been to the entertainment after dinner; however, on this cruise we thought the Spirit of Discovery Show Company were marvellous and so went to all three of their shows in the lovely theatre.  We also very much enjoyed the two shows that the Opera Boys did.  Last night we saw Jools Holland, who was fantastic.  

The beds were very comfortable: not too hard, not too soft, just right!

The weather was superb until yesterday.  

I hope I have answered all the questions.  Oh yes, be wise, sanitise!

Edited by hermioneb
omission
  • Like 2

Enjoying all the reviews!  I think the ship looks lovely and she is high on my list of ships to sail.  I've never sailed Saga before, but I am a big fan of Cunard and perhaps this is even better.  I have to say I'm of an age where I can sail Saga (barely), but I certainly don't consider myself elderly and hopefully have plenty of life left in me.  50 creeps up on your before you know it.  

I have the 2020 brochure and it clearly states for all 2020 cruises it's all-inclusive, including all alcoholic drinks, speciality restaurants, gratuities, and wifi.  Perhaps this is a change from 2019 cruises?  

Although DISCOVERY and ADVENTURE will be sister ships, the decor of ADVENTURE will be quite different.  More modern and contemporary from what I can tell.  Brighter colors.  The dining room loses its atrium opening and becomes fully enclosed.  Above it will be the Supper Club which looks interesting.  There is even a dance floor.  So the dining room may not look as grand, but for practical purposes it might be an improvement.      

Two design elements strike me as odd.  One is the funnel platform.  It looks very imposing and creates a giant wall in the midship pool area.  I can't say this looks attractive, but perhaps it's better in person?  Seems to make the entire area quite closed-in looking.   The other is the Britannia Lounge.  While a lovely space, it's set so far back from the front edge of the superstructure.  So no wonderful views down to the bow as the ship plows through the ocean.  I love a good bow view where I can actually see the tip of the bow.  Doesn't seem to be a possibility on these ships, even on the open deck in front of the Britannia Lounge.  That open deck is set pretty far back as well.  Unfortunately.  

Well I haven't sailed the perfect ship yet (it doesn't exist), but these two Saga new builds look pretty impressive.  I heard they were originally intended for Azamara Cruises but they passed, so Saga picked up the design and options.  I'm not sure how true that is, but I certainly see some R-Class traits in the design.    

Edited by eroller