Viking Ocean Volunteer Pt excursion Falkland Isl.

Beachvue

We didn't do this with Viking but as a private excursion with Patrick Watts (who we recommend highly).  Given that all the excursions follow the same route deviating only in the last hour as they go off road through private property to reach Volunteer Point, I'm sure our experience was similar to the excursion offered by Viking.  That portion can be especially rough on anyone with back issues.  4-wheel drive vehicles travel in small caravans in order to pull stuck vehicles out of the muck.  On our trip, which followed a couple days of rain, we got stuck only once, others in our caravan more often, and the Princess excursion turned back without reaching Volunteer Point.  The only walking is when you get to Volunteer Point where the land is flat and you spend most of the time avoiding stepping on or kicking King penguins - they are everywhere!  It was a wonderful excursion.

9 hours ago, Beachvue said:

Thanks so much for your comments. Have read many good recommendations on Patrick Watts.  We will definitely do this excursion with either Viking or Patrick!

The information that capriccio stated is accurate. The strenuous part of the tour is not the walking, but the ride in the 4x4. At the end of the day my iPhone health app registered that I had climbed 92 flights of stairs and that was just from the bouncing up and down in the vehicle! The trip takes 2+ hours each way so there is a good chance you will feel it the next day!

Not sure when you will be in the Falklands, but if you want to book a tour to Volunteer Point (whether through Viking or Patrick) do it ASAP because the tours fill up. 

If you are interested in what the tour involves, I have a blog post with quite a few photos and also a link to a video that I did when we were there in February. Here is the link:  Volunteer Point Penguin Tour