Steak Quality - Steakhouse vs. MDR Upcharge

Looking for opinions/feedback on the quality of steak in the steakhouse versus the quality of steak in the MDR available for a $20 upcharge.  My wife and I are big fans of the steakhouse. We have found the steaks there to be excellent every time.  I was not that impressed with the steaks I ordered in the MDR for an additional $20. However, it has been a few years since I ordered an upcharge steak in the MDR. Curious to hear about more recent experiences and comparisons. 

I eat in the Steakhouse at least once per cruise, yet have never ordered an upcharge steak in the MDR.  I've had some at my MDR table do so, and they weren't pleased with their steak.

The MDR grills aren't similar to the high temp grilling to sear a good steak in the specialty restaurant, and that could be part of the issue.  And I wouldn't bet one way or another that the upcharge MDR steak is the same quality as a Steakhouse cut of meat.

Edited by evandbob

The steakhouse is the only place they cook on an open flame grill inside the ship.
The MDR they cook on flattops or in ovens.
That will make a big difference in the way the steak tastes in the end.

Never had the steak in the MDR, but I have had it in the steakhouse and it is delicious.
Sat next to a table with someone that ordered one in the MDR and when I asked how it was they said it was decent, but that if I wanted a really good steak I should try the steakhouse.
Granted, that is one person's opinion, but I took them at their word.

We do the steakhouse at least once, sometimes twice a cruise. The reason for twice, I like the lamb chops (can not get in the MDR), and sometimes a filet. Having said that, my wife orders the flat iron in the MDR and says it is a decent cut. However, she has a cruise requirement (usually first night for the free bottle of wine) we do the steakhouse so she can have the surf and turf..

Now my opinion on the MDR upcharge vs steakhouse, pay the $18 more and do the steakhouse and enjoy the experience. Your husband can still have his steak and potatoes, and you can enjoy the ambience of fine dining.

I have done both,  The MD steak is much better than any steak you will get in the dining room, but It does not come close to the steak in the steak house.

That being said I will still get the MD steak if nothing on the menu interest me.  It is $18. less than the steakhouse. 

My understanding from talking to a chef  in the specialty restaurant is that they are the same steaks - but the cooking method does differ as described by the other posters.  In the steakhouse, my husband doesn't get any of the sauces that they offer, but if he orders on in the MDR, he'll get a sauce.  What he misses in the MDR is the charring, but he enjoys the peppercorn sauce (I think that's what it's called).

I've never gotten the MDR upgrades, but on my cruise last month, a table near us ordered the lobster- I was shocked at how small it was, more in line with the one you'd get 2 or 3 of on elegant night, rather than one you'd pay $20 for! The lobster in the steakhouse, as I'm sure you know, is a pretty good size. The one in the MDR was noticeably smaller.

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

I've never gotten the MDR upgrades, but on my cruise last month, a table near us ordered the lobster- I was shocked at how small it was, more in line with the one you'd get 2 or 3 of on elegant night, rather than one you'd pay $20 for! The lobster in the steakhouse, as I'm sure you know, is a pretty good size. The one in the MDR was noticeably smaller.

Check out post 94 in this thread.  This was a picture of the steakhouse surf&Turf  See how small both item's are. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2671550-steakhouse/page/4/

It is certainly better quality than the steak from the dining room but it is all subjective.  I also enjoy the flat iron cut and rarely spend the money to upgrade, not that great of a difference to me.  

8 hours ago, fabby50 said:

My understanding from talking to a chef  in the specialty restaurant is that they are the same steaks

he misinformed you, the steaks are completely different. The MDR is probably a select cut baked in an oven. A sheet pan of well done, sheet pan of MW and so on. The Steak house uses Prime cuts, well marbled and charred to perfection. 

10 hours ago, Bases5 said:

The MD steak is much better than any steak you will get in the dining room

What is a MD steak? doctors cut 😄

• Haha 1

We have eaten in the steakhouse on nearly every cruise in the past 12 years.  On our cruise on the Valor in May 2019 we were gifted a bottle of wine and a steakhouse selection in the dining room by a senior staff member.  We had already been to the Valor steakhouse twice on that cruise.  The Surf and Turf we ordered in the MDR was every bit as good, and perfectly cooked, as our steakhouse meals.  In fact, since it had a completely different cover, and was on a different kind of plate, we suspected that it had been cooked in the steakhouse and sent down to us in the dining room.

However, I still prefer the steakhouse just for that wonderful shrimp cocktail!

On 7/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Shaded Lady said:

They are not always large, nor good in the steakhouse.  On a cruise on the Vista they told us they could only get Caribbean lobster and they were puny little, rubbery things, so we changed our order from the lobster tail to the 9 oz filet.

12 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

They are not always large, nor good in the steakhouse.  On a cruise on the Vista they told us they could only get Caribbean lobster and they were puny little, rubbery things, so we changed our order from the lobster tail to the 9 oz filet.

Wow! I always look forward to the lobster in the steakhouse, that would have been a real disappointment for me!

I ordered the filet mignon once because there was nothing else on the menu I was really interested in. It was ok, but not the best filet that I've ever had. (Don't forget to order your sides to go with it.) I've never eaten in the steakhouse and likely never will.

Edited by sparks1093

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've never eaten in the steakhouse and likely never will.

you might find the filet in the Steakhouse pretty close to best you ever had. Just curious, why the likely never will. We find it to be a value. The food quality and service are miles the MDR.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I ordered the filet mignon once because there was nothing else on the menu I was really interested in. It was ok, but not the best filet that I've ever had. (Don't forget to order your sides to go with it.) I've never eaten in the steakhouse and likely never will.

I consider the Steakhouse filet mignon to be equivilent to an Omaha triple trimmed filet.  At 9 ozs., it's large enough to survive a good searing, while remaining medium rare inside. Certainly better than a Ruth Chris, but not quite the quality of a 5* steakhouse like Keen's or Peter Lugers.

The MDR steak looked like it could have come from the outback or longhorns.

Give the Steakhouse a try, at least once, and you'll appreciate the difference.

3 hours ago, coevan said:

you might find the filet in the Steakhouse pretty close to best you ever had. Just curious, why the likely never will. We find it to be a value. The food quality and service are miles the MDR.

I think you answered your own post...

You enjoy over the top...  and are willing to pay extra for it...

I had a MDR upgrade for my gambling, I won, and could order from the menu for one of the $18 upgrades.  I ordered a steak which was good size and cooked perfectly at medium rare.  So although it was free, I would have been pleased if I had ordered on another night and paid the $18.

Some people will be pleased with the main dining room menu upgrade, but the experience of the steak house is worth it too.  I travel solo, so not likely to go to the steak house, but on a night I don't like the entrees in the MDR, I am willing to upgrade to an additional charge.

Steaks in the steakhouse are prime. Steaks in the MDR are choice. I was told this by two different people into different steak houses and buy waiters in the MDR. 

And yes the difference is noticeable. 

I had an "upgrade" steak in the MDR last year on the Breeze - have never eaten in the steakhouse restaurant.  I was disappointed in what I got - the cut was fairly tough and I don't think that was attributable to how it was prepared.  Won't do it again - I'll save the $18 and have a good prime steak at home.

Last week I had filet mignon and flat iron on two different days on the Vista.  I'd rate the filet mignon a B and the flat iron a D.  

Although not on Carnival, the way the food was prepared certainly caused for differences while recently on the Regal Princess. Supposedly it was the same steak used as the Crown Grill but it tasted differently than earlier that week when ordering in the steakhouse. A headwaiter on that ship suggested to request it be cooked in the steakhouse instead of the dining room when ordering it in the MDR.

I would probably skip the upgrades and just go with the steakhouse in the future unless there was nothing I liked on the menu. I’m curious as well to the feedback of this on Carnival for comparison.

Edited by xDisconnections