Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
JAMESCC

Woke up Platinum, went to bed Emerald without going on a cruise?

Recommended Posts

Did RCI change the way cruise points are calculated or something? Ever since our last cruise on Anthem we have been Platinum but yesterday I logged in because we have 2 cruises booked, next in Sept on Anthem and something took me by surprise. We are Emerald somehow without going on another cruise. We had 47 points and now we have 59 points. Anyone ever hear of this happening before or did they change how points are calculated? Maybe I was missing points and they found it? I can't imagine that but who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most likely posted someone else’s points to your account.  It happens from time to time.

 

review your cruising history and it will show his all the points were earned.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Most likely posted someone else’s points to your account.  It happens from time to time.

 

review your cruising history and it will show his all the points were earned.

OK, so they will catch it? I don't know how something like this even happens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JAMESCC said:

OK, so they will catch it? I don't know how something like this even happens?

They may or may not and it could be years down the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something is screwed up, I think you have your title backwards. Platinum is lower than emerald (30 - 54 points). Emerald is 55 -79 points. Don't know whose points they gave you but the level is correct for the number of points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

They may or may not and it could be years down the road. 

That is very strange. I say their screw up, not my problem, they should leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Namelocg said:

Something is screwed up, I think you have your title backwards. Platinum is lower than emerald (30 - 54 points). Emerald is 55 -79 points. Don't know whose points they gave you but the level is correct for the number of points.

Yes exactly, I was lower Platinum 47 points, and now higher Emerald 59 points. I probably shouldn't even have posted this to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

That is very strange. I say their screw up, not my problem, they should leave it.

Depending on how long it is when they catch it they most likely will leave you at whatever level you are at but take the points away.  

 

Did you log in to to find out where the points came from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Yes exactly, I was lower Platinum 47 points, and now higher Emerald 59 points. I probably shouldn't even have posted this to be honest.

 

Ha, it won't be long before someone accuses you of being dishonest for not reporting it.

 

Many decades ago when I was in high school, a teacher incorrectly graded my test and gave me a 90 when it should have been an 85. I pointed this out to them, and they said" Ok, I'll just give you 5 points for honesty".

 

I feel Royal should do the same. If you point out the error to them, they should give you 12 points for honesty.🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depending on how long it is when they catch it they most likely will leave you at whatever level you are at but take the points away.  

 

Did you log in to to find out where the points came from. 

I don't understand how they calculate points, and I'll show you how and why.

Our first Royal cruise was Explorer 9 nights in a suite so that was 18 points. Then we have Explorer 5 nights to Bermuda and next to that it says points earned 2? I'm confused by that. We then have another Explorer 5 nights to Bermuda and that has 5 points earned. And last is our first Anthem cruise 9 nights to Canada/NE and that says 9 points. 

 

Now I am no Einstein but that adds up to 34 points. Am I missing something here because I'm confused? Somehow I had 47 points and now 59 points. We do Have Anthem booked for next month to Bermuda again, 5 nights of course and Oasis booked for May 2020 7 night to CocoCay. So what is your take here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I don't understand how they calculate points, and I'll show you how and why.

Our first Royal cruise was Explorer 9 nights in a suite so that was 18 points. Then we have Explorer 5 nights to Bermuda and next to that it says points earned 2? I'm confused by that. We then have another Explorer 5 nights to Bermuda and that has 5 points earned. And last is our first Anthem cruise 9 nights to Canada/NE and that says 9 points. 

 

Now I am no Einstein but that adds up to 34 points. Am I missing something here because I'm confused? Somehow I had 47 points and now 59 points. We do Have Anthem booked for next month to Bermuda again, 5 nights of course and Oasis booked for May 2020 7 night to CocoCay. So what is your take here?

Before 2011 they issued credits not points.  1 credit per sailing with extra for suites or longer cruises. In 2011 they converted credits to points.

 

your 2 points converted to 15 points which is 13 more than you had.

 

its all perfectly normal except going from 47 to 59

 

maybe they have added your 2 cruises to your points in advance.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so disgusted with RCI right now with them changing the ports around that the points don't really matter.  We are one point from Platinum and had planned to book Alaska on our next cruise,  but our December cruise may be the last RCI cruise we take for a while.  It isn't just our port change on Allure,  it is how they have allowed it to affect other cruises.  And you would think they would give us OBC or some other compensation for taking away the time we were to spend at St Thomas and give us just a few hours in San Juan.  Yes, I know all about the clause they can change ports at their whim but I don't think it gives them the right to jerk so many people around and throw that phrase in our faces.  If our cruise was just my hubby and me I would cancel it but it is a gift for my son, daughter in law and 3 grands so we will go and have a good time anyway together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Before 2011 they issued credits not points.  1 credit per sailing with extra for suites or longer cruises. In 2011 they converted credits to points

Wow I did not know that but holy cow I'm still confused. 2 of those cruises, the first 2 obviously were pre 2011, 2009 and 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JAMESCC said:

Wow I did not know that but holy cow I'm still confused. 2 of those cruises, the first 2 obviously were pre 2011, 2009 and 2010.

List all your cruises in order with,

 

date

length of cruise

cabin type

points / credits Royal lists

 

and we can tell you how many points you should have and explain it easier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 Night Canada & New England Cruise

Anthem of the Seas

Sep 28  Oct 7, 2017

Points earned: 9

Folio available by request at
royalguestrelations@rccl.com
or call 800-256-6649.
5 Night Bermuda Cruise

5 Night Bermuda Cruise

Explorer of the Seas

Aug 23  Aug 28, 2014

Points earned: 5

Folio available by request at
royalguestrelations@rccl.com
or call 800-256-6649.
5 Night Bermuda Cruise

5 Night Bermuda Cruise

Explorer of the Seas

Jul 3  Jul 8, 2010

Points earned: 2

After 7 years, past folios
become unavailable.

9 Night Canada & New England Cruise

9 Night Canada & New England Cruise

Explorer of the Seas

Oct 1  Oct 10, 2009

Points earned: 18

 

I guess there is nothing sensitive here. What do you see here with your trained eyes because I am beyond confused, I passed confused a few miles back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

9 Night Canada & New England Cruise

Anthem of the Seas

Sep 28  Oct 7, 2017

Points earned: 9

Folio available by request at
royalguestrelations@rccl.com
or call 800-256-6649.

5 Night Bermuda Cruise

5 Night Bermuda Cruise

Explorer of the Seas

Aug 23  Aug 28, 2014

Points earned: 5

Folio available by request at
royalguestrelations@rccl.com
or call 800-256-6649.

5 Night Bermuda Cruise

5 Night Bermuda Cruise

Explorer of the Seas

Jul 3  Jul 8, 2010

Points earned: 2

After 7 years, past folios
become unavailable.

9 Night Canada & New England Cruise

9 Night Canada & New England Cruise

Explorer of the Seas

Oct 1  Oct 10, 2009

Points earned: 18

 

I guess there is nothing sensitive here. What do you see here with your trained eyes because I am beyond confused, I passed confused a few miles back.

They are listing your 2 cruises per 2011 as 1 cruise and giving you the correct points. 

 

2 cruises would have been 2 credits and converted to 15 points.

 

15+9+5+18=47

 

what were the length of the 2 cruises ore 2011 and were either of those in a suite 

 

edit, sorry I just saw the 2009 listed as 18 which is weird.

 

if your 5 day Explorer cruise was in a suite then it’s all correct

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They are listing your 2 cruises per 2011 as 1 cruise and giving you the correct points. 

 

2 cruises would have been 2 credits and converted to 15 points.

 

15+9+5+18=47

 

what were the length of the 2 cruises ore 2011 and were either of those in a suite 

That is math and a system only Royal Caribbean could come up with. The first 9 night cruise was in a Grand Suite on Explorer. The others were regular balcony, except one on Explorer was an inside promenade view room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JAMESCC said:

That is math and a system only Royal Caribbean could come up with. The first 9 night cruise was in a Grand Suite on Explorer. The others were regular balcony, except one on Explorer was an inside promenade view room. 

It usually makes sense.  Not sure what they have done in your case. 

 

The confusing cruise is the 5 day EX listed at 2 credits. It really should be 1 credit based on what you have said which means you should only have 

 

18+8+5+9=40 points

 

each credit was awarded 7 points plus a fudge factor so 

1 credit is 8 points

2 credits is 15 points 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It usually makes sense.  Not sure what they have done in your case. 

 

The confusing cruise is the 5 day EX listed at 2 credits. It really should be 1 credit based on what you have said which means you should only have 

 

18+8+5+9=40 points

 

each credit was awarded 7 points plus a fudge factor so 

1 credit is 8 points

2 credits is 15 points 

I REALLY appreciate your input here because I am confused as can be. I usually book a year in advance, maybe I got extra points there. This is actually fascinating to be honest. Maybe this 59 points is some how right and I had no idea? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JAMESCC said:

I REALLY appreciate your input here because I am confused as can be. I usually book a year in advance, maybe I got extra points there. This is actually fascinating to be honest. Maybe this 59 points is some how right and I had no idea? 🤣

 

I don't see how 59 points can be correct with what you have listed.  However, I would not complain to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Host Clarea said:

 

I don't see how 59 points can be correct with what you have listed.  However, I would not complain to them.

Me either, its one of those things I have always been curious about. I've scratched my head at just how this works and if I needed a PHD to figure it out? I am way past confused. Maybe just a mess up in my favor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JAMESCC said:

Me either, its one of those things I have always been curious about. I've scratched my head at just how this works and if I needed a PHD to figure it out? I am way past confused. Maybe just a mess up in my favor?

 

As Ken mentioned, sometimes they give the wrong points to people.  Could be fixed, or maybe they will not catch it.

 

In any case, I'd take a screen shot of your cruise history as they can mess up that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I REALLY appreciate your input here because I am confused as can be. I usually book a year in advance, maybe I got extra points there. This is actually fascinating to be honest. Maybe this 59 points is some how right and I had no idea? 🤣

You really should have only 40 points based on your history.   No extra for booking far in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

As Ken mentioned, sometimes they give the wrong points to people.  Could be fixed, or maybe they will not catch it.

 

In any case, I'd take a screen shot of your cruise history as they can mess up that too.

Oh that Royal IT department! They can strike at any time and screw up anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You really should have only 40 points based on your history.   No extra for booking far in advance

I will scream from the mountain tops if they move me from the 59 it says now to 40. I will hound them every single day if they do that. And I DO NOT want to hear from the CC police nuts on here about this. They can take their hollier than thou BS somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...