What to do in Ft. Lauderdale

3Blessings

We are staying in Ft. Lauderdale two days before departure. What are some must dos, good beaches, and/or restaurant suggestions?

For the beaches are there places to rent chairs and umbrellas? Any good resorts for a day?

Thanks!

Hollywood Beach is the best beach to hang out, walk around, etc. It's by far the most pedestrian friendly with a lot to see. Excellent restaurants on the intracoastal side as well, depending on what you want.  I'd check out 5 O Clock Somewhere to hang out for some drinks, then hop on the water taxi right in front for a ride. 

As for chair rental, I'm not sure. Sorry. Any reason you aren't just staying on the beach if that's where you want to be?

Water Taxi is great! Hop on hop off while getting a tour of the mansions on the waterway.

Especially during the holiday season.

Edited by indie
  • Like 1

As others said Water taxi is a great way to see many parts of FLL. I recommend evening time. See the mansions and then as light fades enjoy how they light up. Jump off at Las olas for some bar hopping ( If you in to that) and a meal. Tip. Wait for double decker catamaran type water taxi . They have a bar onboard.

• Like 1

We love the water taxi too. Last time in FL, we jumped on in the morning after breakfast, did the whole northern route and then got off at Las Olas in time for lunch. After lunch, we got back on, switched to the Hollywood route and spent some time strolling up and down the broadwalk. We are hoping to do it again next time we are in FL.

• Like 3

is there a link for the water taxi to check out the routes?  we're thinking about staying near Las Olas but would like to hang out on Hollywood beach one day and that water taxi sounds fun so we don't have to uber down.  thank you!

12 minutes ago, jdemps said:

is there a link for the water taxi to check out the routes?  we're thinking about staying near Las Olas but would like to hang out on Hollywood beach one day and that water taxi sounds fun so we don't have to uber down.  thank you!

Here you go: https://watertaxi.com/ :classic_smile:

Where are you stayng in Fort Lauderdale?  That will sway where I'll recommend you go to the beach.

We personally prefer the beach at Las Olas but the construction at the end of Las Olas and A1A can make it weird.  

1 hour ago, jdemps said:

Water taxi drops you off at 5 O clock somewhere at Margaritaville. Dead center location and awesome hangout. Highly recommend getting there via the water taxi from Las Olas, that would be fun! 

• Like 1

We are planning to book an airbnb off Poinciana DR that states it is walking distance to Las Olas area.  

I waas wondering if there is a pedestrian sidewalk that goes to the beack from that street?  The maps don't really show that but it does show it's close.  thank you!

On 7/28/2019 at 7:21 AM, FionaMG said:

We love the water taxi too. Last time in FL, we jumped on in the morning after breakfast, did the whole northern route and then got off at Las Olas in time for lunch. After lunch, we got back on, switched to the Hollywood route and spent some time strolling up and down the broadwalk. We are hoping to do it again next time we are in FL.

We are staying at Embassy Suites in Dec.  Is it a safe and manageable walk to the water taxi stop at the Hilton Marina for mid 70’s seniors...especially after dark?

5 minutes ago, Shamrock68 said:

We are staying at Embassy Suites in Dec.  Is it a safe and manageable walk to the water taxi stop at the Hilton Marina for mid 70’s seniors...especially after dark?

We did walk it a few years back when we stayed at the Embassy Suites once. I think it's about a mile and I'm pretty sure there were sidewalks for most if not the whole way.

I'm guessing it would be safe enough even after dark as that stretch of road has lots of hotels and restaurants so plenty of tourists about. Maybe one of the local posters can advise? @BNBR @BlueHerons

5 hours ago, Shamrock68 said:

The walk itself is easy - the road is flat and there are sidewalks the entire distance.  The weather in December will be much more conducive to walking than in the summer. There will also be lots of street activity given the number of restaurants and hotels along 17th Street.  I would just warn you to be cautious crossing the streets and parking lot driveways.  Make sure you are dressed appropriately (for example, dressed all in black will make you hard to see) and visible to traffic.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FionaMG said:

We did walk it a few years back when we stayed at the Embassy Suites once. I think it's about a mile and I'm pretty sure there were sidewalks for most if not the whole way.

I'm guessing it would be safe enough even after dark as that stretch of road has lots of hotels and restaurants so plenty of tourists about. Maybe one of the local posters can advise? @BNBR @BlueHerons

Yes the walk is easy and there are lots of people out at night.

Just don't ever try to cross 17th Street outside of a crosswalk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago we went to see a Broadway play at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts on the evening before our cruise.  It was a beautiful theater and a very nice evening. https://www.browardcenter.org/   I would definitely do it again if there was something interesting playing.

And I agree with the others that the water taxi is fun!

As many others, we love taking the water taxi around - you go buy many yachts.  For restaurants, one sticks out in my mind, Shooters on the Waterfront - best brunch every.  Can you say chicken and waffles?

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Paula B said:

Hi BNBR, we were looking at a day pass at "Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort" you were saying that Hollywood beach was a great area do you know if you can catch the water taxi here?

See the route info on www.watertaxi.com for the schedule.