Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
3Blessings

What to do in Ft. Lauderdale

Recommended Posts

We are staying in Ft. Lauderdale two days before departure. What are some must dos, good beaches, and/or restaurant suggestions?

 

For the beaches are there places to rent chairs and umbrellas? Any good resorts for a day?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hollywood Beach is the best beach to hang out, walk around, etc. It's by far the most pedestrian friendly with a lot to see. Excellent restaurants on the intracoastal side as well, depending on what you want.  I'd check out 5 O Clock Somewhere to hang out for some drinks, then hop on the water taxi right in front for a ride. 

 

As for chair rental, I'm not sure. Sorry. Any reason you aren't just staying on the beach if that's where you want to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy neighbor! 😎

 

Water taxi is always fun.  www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Water Taxi is great! Hop on hop off while getting a tour of the mansions on the waterway.

 

Especially during the holiday season.

Edited by indie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others said Water taxi is a great way to see many parts of FLL. I recommend evening time. See the mansions and then as light fades enjoy how they light up. Jump off at Las olas for some bar hopping ( If you in to that) and a meal. Tip. Wait for double decker catamaran type water taxi . They have a bar onboard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We love the water taxi too. Last time in FL, we jumped on in the morning after breakfast, did the whole northern route and then got off at Las Olas in time for lunch. After lunch, we got back on, switched to the Hollywood route and spent some time strolling up and down the broadwalk. We are hoping to do it again next time we are in FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there a link for the water taxi to check out the routes?  we're thinking about staying near Las Olas but would like to hang out on Hollywood beach one day and that water taxi sounds fun so we don't have to uber down.  thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jdemps said:

is there a link for the water taxi to check out the routes?  we're thinking about staying near Las Olas but would like to hang out on Hollywood beach one day and that water taxi sounds fun so we don't have to uber down.  thank you!

 

Here you go: https://watertaxi.com/ :classic_smile:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you stayng in Fort Lauderdale?  That will sway where I'll recommend you go to the beach.

 

We personally prefer the beach at Las Olas but the construction at the end of Las Olas and A1A can make it weird.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdemps said:

is there a link for the water taxi to check out the routes?  we're thinking about staying near Las Olas but would like to hang out on Hollywood beach one day and that water taxi sounds fun so we don't have to uber down.  thank you!

 

Water taxi drops you off at 5 O clock somewhere at Margaritaville. Dead center location and awesome hangout. Highly recommend getting there via the water taxi from Las Olas, that would be fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Get the timing right and you sail right past some of the cruise ships making their way out of port. Here's Indy.

20171202_215051.jpg

 

20171202_215259.jpg

 

20171202_215357.jpg

Edited by FionaMG
Formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are planning to book an airbnb off Poinciana DR that states it is walking distance to Las Olas area.  

I waas wondering if there is a pedestrian sidewalk that goes to the beack from that street?  The maps don't really show that but it does show it's close.  thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 7:21 AM, FionaMG said:

We love the water taxi too. Last time in FL, we jumped on in the morning after breakfast, did the whole northern route and then got off at Las Olas in time for lunch. After lunch, we got back on, switched to the Hollywood route and spent some time strolling up and down the broadwalk. We are hoping to do it again next time we are in FL.

We are staying at Embassy Suites in Dec.  Is it a safe and manageable walk to the water taxi stop at the Hilton Marina for mid 70’s seniors...especially after dark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shamrock68 said:

We are staying at Embassy Suites in Dec.  Is it a safe and manageable walk to the water taxi stop at the Hilton Marina for mid 70’s seniors...especially after dark?

 

We did walk it a few years back when we stayed at the Embassy Suites once. I think it's about a mile and I'm pretty sure there were sidewalks for most if not the whole way.

I'm guessing it would be safe enough even after dark as that stretch of road has lots of hotels and restaurants so plenty of tourists about. Maybe one of the local posters can advise? @BNBR @BlueHerons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shamrock68 said:

We are staying at Embassy Suites in Dec.  Is it a safe and manageable walk to the water taxi stop at the Hilton Marina for mid 70’s seniors...especially after dark?

 

The walk itself is easy - the road is flat and there are sidewalks the entire distance.  The weather in December will be much more conducive to walking than in the summer. There will also be lots of street activity given the number of restaurants and hotels along 17th Street.  I would just warn you to be cautious crossing the streets and parking lot driveways.  Make sure you are dressed appropriately (for example, dressed all in black will make you hard to see) and visible to traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FionaMG said:

 

We did walk it a few years back when we stayed at the Embassy Suites once. I think it's about a mile and I'm pretty sure there were sidewalks for most if not the whole way.

I'm guessing it would be safe enough even after dark as that stretch of road has lots of hotels and restaurants so plenty of tourists about. Maybe one of the local posters can advise? @BNBR @BlueHerons

Yes the walk is easy and there are lots of people out at night.

 

Just don't ever try to cross 17th Street outside of a crosswalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago we went to see a Broadway play at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts on the evening before our cruise.  It was a beautiful theater and a very nice evening. https://www.browardcenter.org/   I would definitely do it again if there was something interesting playing.

 

And I agree with the others that the water taxi is fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As many others, we love taking the water taxi around - you go buy many yachts.  For restaurants, one sticks out in my mind, Shooters on the Waterfront - best brunch every.  Can you say chicken and waffles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get on at the 17th street location how long is the round trip to get back there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi BNBR, we were looking at a day pass at "Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort" you were saying that Hollywood beach was a great area do you know if you can catch the water taxi here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paula B said:

Hi BNBR, we were looking at a day pass at "Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort" you were saying that Hollywood beach was a great area do you know if you can catch the water taxi here?

See the route info on www.watertaxi.com for the schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paula B said:

Thank you it looks like it stops near there.

 

Yup. The stop is right at Margaritaville. Easy as can be.  You'll love the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...