Cruise Critic Community
Amber86

Traitors Cove or Neets Bay Ketchikan for 23 July

Although bear seaplanes tours are highly dependent on if nature wants to cooperate does anyone know if it is expected to be a really low probability for the 23 July 2020 at Traitors Cove, Ketchikan (via Island Wings). The tour time that suits our cruise ship arrival is from 11am if that makes a difference as to if it’s viable. I’m aware that other vendors don’t offer this until August. 

I don’t know if being in the first few days of the season would mean my family of 3 would be better of saving the money and doing something cheaper or if Neets Bay via Taquan Air would be better for this day.

Anan Creek tends to be the recommendation for July but it is a longer trip and I don’t expect it would easily fit within our time at port. The lottery for vendors won’t come available until about October to be sure.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Amber86

I can only say that if Michelle of Island Wings offers tours in your time frame, going with her is what I would do. She is a smart cookie IMHO.

Can't comment on Traitors or Neets,  but we did Anan on 7/18 and it was awesome!  I bet they could fit it in to your time in port.  We were originally supposed to be picked up from our ship at 11:45 with a return around 4:30 but our port time changed to earlier and the pilot was able to accommodate us.  We did Family Air which was fine, but having heard so much about Island Wings I would have gone with that if she had been available.  

Thank you both for your advice. I’m just nervous as it is so early in the season and Island Wings site says Traitors Cove is available from August - perhaps they just haven’t updated it. I will email them to ask them to clarify and if they recommend waiting to see if Anan is available if they think that has better odds. One of my concerns with Anan (besides timing) is how many steps are on the trail as my parents may find that harder. The trail for Traitors Cove appears more level on YouTube.

thanks again