Cruise Critic Community
Bases5

How to get a quote?

I have bought Travel insurance for years.  Today I was getting ready to get a quote on our next trip.

My question is When you fill in the box for trip cost what number do you use .

Cruise $1798  taxes  $220 =    2,018  total for 2 

Do you use the $1798  or the $ 2018 figure.   I would think the $1798 as the taxes are refundable anyhow.

Not sure    Thoughts 

1 hour ago, Bases5 said:

I have bought Travel insurance for years.  Today I was getting ready to get a quote on our next trip.

Do you use the $1798  or the $ 2018 figure.   I would think the $1798 as the taxes are refundable anyhow.

Not sure    Thoughts 

Correct - You should insure NON-refundable costs.

If you insure - and collect - money that was also returned to you, that would be insurance fraud.

Or, you'd just not request the refunded amount in the claim, in which case... why pay for the coverage!?

Do you have any airfare that should also be covered?

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Correct - You should insure NON-refundable costs.

If you insure - and collect - money that was also returned to you, that would be insurance fraud.

Or, you'd just not request the refunded amount in the claim, in which case... why pay for the coverage!?

Do you have any airfare that should also be covered?

GC

Thanks    No air this trip.  There was about a $50 dollar different in the insurance between the cruise fair and the total fair.

I'm ok even if I lose the cost of the cruise (not really but you know) The medical and evacuation is the major reason I get insurance.

45 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

Thanks    No air this trip.  There was about a $50 dollar different in the insurance between the cruise fair and the total fair.

I'm ok even if I lose the cost of the cruise (not really but you know) The medical and evacuation is the major reason I get insurance.

Then put the trip Cost at $499 per person.

There is no price difference between $0 thru $500. The next pricing bucket is $501 to $1000.

31 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

There is no price difference between $0 thru $500. The next pricing bucket is $501 to $1000.

This is a great idea if you have no pre-existing medical conditions.  For a relatively small cost it gives you the medical and evacuation coverage you desire, plus a small amount of cancellation/interruption coverage, plus other coverage included with most comprehensive insurance plans.  If you need to use the medical or evacuation and it was determined to be due to a pre-existing condition, then the insurance will probably not pay.  To waive the pre-existing medical condition clause, you typically need to insure 100% of your non-refundable costs and purchase the policy within X days (typically 14-21) of your initial trip deposit.  

If you travel more than a couple of weeks a year, another option to look at is the GeoBlue Trekker annual medical and evacuation policy.  It has a small $50 deductible, pays primary and covers pre-existing conditions. Take a look at the terms, conditions and price to see if it makes sense for you.  They also have single trip plans (GeoBlue Voyager).  Some of them cover pre-existing conditions.  Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

This is a great idea if you have no pre-existing medical conditions.  For a relatively small cost it gives you the medical and evacuation coverage you desire, plus a small amount of cancellation/interruption coverage, plus other coverage included with most comprehensive insurance plans.  If you need to use the medical or evacuation and it was determined to be due to a pre-existing condition, then the insurance will probably not pay.  To waive the pre-existing medical condition clause, you typically need to insure 100% of your non-refundable costs and purchase the policy within X days (typically 14-21) of your initial trip deposit.  

If you travel more than a couple of weeks a year, another option to look at is the GeoBlue Trekker annual medical and evacuation policy.  It has a small $50 deductible, pays primary and covers pre-existing conditions. Take a look at the terms, conditions and price to see if it makes sense for you.  They also have single trip plans (GeoBlue Voyager).  Some of them cover pre-existing conditions.  Good luck.

Yes I read the part about pre existing and cover the 100% non refundable fair. That's why I was asking what the insurance company think the total should be .   Total cruise fair $1,798 or total invoice $2,018.  I have always put the higher amount, but today it got me thinking. Why am I adding insurance on the port taxes. 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:55 AM, Bases5 said:

Not sure    Thoughts 

Hello,

Just a question as I found this post helpful.  When you say "the taxes are refundable anyhow," can you explain?  I'm in Canada, so not sure what this means.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Hello,

Just a question as I found this post helpful.  When you say "the taxes are refundable anyhow," can you explain?  I'm in Canada, so not sure what this means.

Thank you.

If you have to cancel. The port taxes along with anything you purchase. Shore excursion. Pre paid tips ETC will be automatically refunded. The cruise line cancellation policy only effects tha actual cruise fare,  

so you should only insure the cruise fare not the total price you paid. 

Insurance will only pay the non refundable part

Edited by Bases5

10 hours ago, Bases5 said:

If you have to cancel. The port taxes along with anything you purchase. Shore excursion. Pre paid tips ETC will be automatically refunded. The cruise line cancellation policy only effects tha actual cruise fare,  

so you should only insure the cruise fare not the total price you paid. 

Insurance will only pay the non refundable part

Thank you for explaining that!  I had no idea!

8 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Thank you for explaining that!  I had no idea!

This is a long-shot, but you might want to double check this if you are NOT in the USA.

Most of us posting are basing our information on "how travel insurance works in the USA", which is based mostly on USA-laws/regs, but slightly on state-specific regulations as well.

That's why when some people post that they are having real trouble getting certain types of coverage, it's often because what others have posted is not available in their country.

Note:  I have NO idea whether this particular claims issue differs from country to country, but one should check before relying upon the information about taxes and fees.

That is why in some countries there is *not* (apparently) any "fully refundable" deposit, something that many of us in the USA take for granted with *most* (but not all!) cruise lines.

This is also a bit different from a choice that apparently some cruise lines offer, with a refundable deposit with a higher fare vs. a lower but not refundable deposit with a lower total fare (and this is IF I've understood correctly what some others have posted; apologies).

GC

18 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

This is a long-shot, but you might want to double check this if you are NOT in the USA.

Most of us posting are basing our information on "how travel insurance works in the USA", which is based mostly on USA-laws/regs, but slightly on state-specific regulations as well.

That's why when some people post that they are having real trouble getting certain types of coverage, it's often because what others have posted is not available in their country.

Note:  I have NO idea whether this particular claims issue differs from country to country, but one should check before relying upon the information about taxes and fees.

That is why in some countries there is *not* (apparently) any "fully refundable" deposit, something that many of us in the USA take for granted with *most* (but not all!) cruise lines.

This is also a bit different from a choice that apparently some cruise lines offer, with a refundable deposit with a higher fare vs. a lower but not refundable deposit with a lower total fare (and this is IF I've understood correctly what some others have posted; apologies).

GC

I'm so glad I read your post, thank you very much!

Yesterday, I contacted a US insurance company and also the one I used almost 10 years ago, and they do not sell trip cancellation insurance to Canadians anymore due to changes in insurance licensing rules.

I'm back to researching quotes from Canadian companies.

Again, thanks  for the heads up!

38 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

I'm so glad I read your post, thank you very much!

Yesterday, I contacted a US insurance company and also the one I used almost 10 years ago, and they do not sell trip cancellation insurance to Canadians anymore due to changes in insurance licensing rules.

I'm back to researching quotes from Canadian companies.

Again, thanks  for the heads up!

Have you checked with  www.TripInsuranceStore.com (preferably by *phone*)?

I think they now handle some Canadian policies.  They'd be a great place to start.  At a minimum, you could at least have whatever the best policy from them is (for your purposes, anyway)  to compare with anything else you might find.

GC

10 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Have you checked with  www.TripInsuranceStore.com (preferably by *phone*)?

I think they now handle some Canadian policies.  They'd be a great place to start.  At a minimum, you could at least have whatever the best policy from them is (for your purposes, anyway)  to compare with anything else you might find.

GC

Yes, unfortunately Steve (tripinsurancestore) was the one I contacted.  Thanks again!

6 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Yes, unfortunately Steve (tripinsurancestore) was the one I contacted.  Thanks again!

Okay.

You mentioned calling a "a US insurance company".

Trip Insurance Store is an insurance broker.  They work with several different travel insurance companies, ones that they've vetted, so clients should have good experiences with claims, in general.

Out policies through TIS have been mostly with Travel Insured (one of the insurance companies they work with), as have all of our claims, which were paid promptly and without any nonsense.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Okay.

You mentioned calling a "a US insurance company".

Trip Insurance Store is an insurance broker.  They work with several different travel insurance companies, ones that they've vetted, so clients should have good experiences with claims, in general.

Out policies through TIS have been mostly with Travel Insured (one of the insurance companies they work with), as have all of our claims, which were paid promptly and without any nonsense.

GC

Yes, correction, broker vs. store.  Edit button doesn't work after a while.

12 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Yes, correction, broker vs. store.  Edit button doesn't work after a while.

Yup, that dratted deadline to edit...

And...the titles can't be corrected at all (IIRC), so a typo just sits there.... :classic_sad:

Cheers!

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

Yup, that dratted deadline to edit...

And...the titles can't be corrected at all (IIRC), so a typo just sits there.... :classic_sad:

Cheers!

GC

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only frustrated one!  Yes, sometimes my question has been resolved, or I found the answer, and out of courtesy, I like to change the title to "Resolved."  

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and I appreciate your advice and tips!

3 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only frustrated one!  Yes, sometimes my question has been resolved, or I found the answer, and out of courtesy, I like to change the title to "Resolved."  

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and I appreciate your advice and tips!

RIGHT!

I was only thinking to typos in the titles just now.

But yes, to be able to indicate that the "situation is resolved" can be very helpful - and I know that from another forum :classic_wink:

That one is financial, so some of the questions - and responses - can get rather detailed.  SO much time is sometimes wasted when someone does *not* indicate that it's "fixedi" or "information found".  And meanwhile, there are increasing numbers of posts, and then pages of posts, that keep the 'answer' increasingly hidden... if there's no hint in the title.

And people keep posting, in all good faith, sometimes spending considerable time and effort (which is great, but sometimes, that time/effort might be better spent on an *unsolved* problem/etc.

Ooops, sorry.. <end rant>

:classic_smile:

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

RIGHT!

I was only thinking to typos in the titles just now.

But yes, to be able to indicate that the "situation is resolved" can be very helpful - and I know that from another forum :classic_wink:

That one is financial, so some of the questions - and responses - can get rather detailed.  SO much time is sometimes wasted when someone does *not* indicate that it's "fixedi" or "information found".  And meanwhile, there are increasing numbers of posts, and then pages of posts, that keep the 'answer' increasingly hidden... if there's no hint in the title.

And people keep posting, in all good faith, sometimes spending considerable time and effort (which is great, but sometimes, that time/effort might be better spent on an *unsolved* problem/etc.

Ooops, sorry.. <end rant>

:classic_smile:

Rant away ... lol

I totally get it!  Yes, there are a lot of posts here and it's hard to keep track of them all.  I think the ability to edit would be very helpful.

That financial forum sounds intense, and financial questions do require detailed info, etc.  

I think most people don't have the time to scroll to the very bottom of the posts to see if questions have been answered already.  As you said, we are "all" busy, and our time is precious!

It's Tuesday, have a happy day! :classic_smile:

On 7/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, klfrodo said:

You got me curious now.  Would the next bucket be 1001 to 1500 or does it go by 1000 after the first two buckets.