Packing cubes

Debbdo

I have seen a lot of discussion about packing cubes. I actually discovered them on here and never travel without them. I just spotted a great deal on QVC's Black Friday in July sale (ends @ 11:59pm PT 07/29/19) and thought I would share them:

https://www.qvc.com/American-Flyer-Fleur-De-Lis-Packing-Cubes---3-Piece-Set.product.F235190.html

https://www.qvc.com/Travelon-Packing-Envelopes---Set-of-7.product.F188214.html

https://www.qvc.com/Travelon-WetDry-1-qt-Bag-with-Bottles.product.F232942.html

https://www.qvc.com/Travelon-Set-of-3-Packing-Squares.product.F232944.html

And another item that I always take traveling:

https://www.qvc.com/Poo-Pourri-Holiday-2-oz-Duo-Set-in-Gift-Box-with-(2)-Travel-Size.product.H219141.html

I bought packing cubes last summer before our family of 5 did a 7 night Alaskan cruise, with 2 nights in Vancouver before and 1 night in Anchorage after. I bought them on Amazon and got a set for each person in our family (different colors/patterns so we could tell them apart.) Then I rolled all the clothes. We did we not have wrinkled clothes, and onlye we used 1 large suitcase and 2 smaller ones for 5 people. We changed for dinner each night (business casual clothes), and had warm layers too. Finding things was SO easy. One bag for socks, underwear, and pajamas, one for shirts, one for pants, etc. I was hooked and will never travel again without them!!

• Like 3

I love my packing cubes especially for corralling lingerie (& to keep TSA fingers out). Just unzip the case & place in drawer (also helps keep your things clean in case of anything left in drawer). I have one multi compartment cube (wish I could find more of these) that I put precruise hotel clothes in, no need to unpack suitcase, just pop it out of the top of the case & you’re all set. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

I love my packing cubes especially for corralling lingerie (& to keep TSA fingers out). Just unzip the case & place in drawer (also helps keep your things clean in case of anything left in drawer). I have one multi compartment cube (wish I could find more of these) that I put precruise hotel clothes in, no need to unpack suitcase, just pop it out of the top of the case & you’re all set. 

Eagle Creek has a couple of multi compartment cubes - they call them the "clean/dirty" cubes.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TX Cruise Girl said:

I plan on trying these for the first time on our next cruise.  I have yet to hear anything bad about them.  I wish I had know sooner!

I never travel without them. I don't know how I ever went anywhere before I discovered them. I am an organizational freak and this is perfect to keep clothing organized. Hope you enjoy them!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, acstall said:

How many do I need per checked bag?

As many or as few as you want.  And, it depends on what cubes you use for what purpose.  To see a video of how to pack a 22" carryon bag with cubes, google is your friend - you'll find good videos on how to pack with cubes.   With my slightly larger than 22" roller, when I take it, I usually have 1 large cube, 1 folder, 2 medium cubes, and 2 slim cubes.  I have a mix of types, from Eagle Creek Specter bags to some from eBags that I got when I bought a MotherLode for my niece.   

I measured the inside on my suite case, length, width and height. Then I picked out cubes and folders that would fit in.  I like to have them fill the length and with up in a layer or two.  Then any clothing that I don't put a cube  will lay flat on a study surface of the cube.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/organizersin

Pick out a set or cube, the underneath the picture there will be a arrow/triangle  in while surrounded in black.  Click on that for the video 

Edited by geocruiser

Acstall,

We normally do Caribbean cruise of one week long.  There is my Husband and myself.  I do all the packing in three 21 -22 inch roll on carry-ons.  Two are for clothing and one for the other non clothing stuff.

For DH I bring, underclothes for 8 days (pants and white tee shirts) socks 8 pairs, 4 pairs of dress pants and 7 shirts  (button down and golf shirt types. One sweater.  One tux, two tux shirts, cummerbund. One pair of shorts (he does not ever wear them, but I take them ) one bathing suit and a tee shirt. One pair of shoes (some times two)

Now for me.  Six pair of homemade pants with a waist/fanny bag to match each pair of pants. Seven tops.  One long sleeve over blouse.  One hoodie jacket, two shawls and two fancy ponchos for night time wear.  One pair of satin dress pants (for formal night also home made).  Two Kimono tops with evening bag (also home made). Seven pairs of socks (I wear socks🧦).  Two island sun dresses (the type you see island vendors selling, I use these when I get off on a island). Underclothes, and a slip. Two pairs of shoes. One skirt.

What I do is use a Eagle Creek medium folder for my tops, then underwear get rolled and put into a cube, socks go in a slim cube or Xsmall cube.  I fit the folder and cube into the bottom of the suit case (laying the suit case flat on the floor, so now I have 21 inches long and 15 wide )  Putting the cubes and folders in the bottom gives me a hard base to pack my pants.   Each pair of pants gets folded in half length wise, where it folds I put in a flat waist/fanny bag.  This keep the fold from staying .Then I just pack the rest,.

What I find is important is in choosing my clothing fabrics.  I don't pack jeans, my pants that I make fold flat and are light to medium weight fabric.  With light weight fabric you can pack a lot of outfits.

I do use the ships laundry because we get it free on Princess, and it is for as much as we want, the wash and press our stuff. Every AM I send out to be cleaned all DH clothing and what I trust them with of mine.  So this helps.

8 hours ago, acstall said:

Thank you all for your direction on how many. Good advice!

Another thing to measure, is the items you want to pack. I owned FOUR no-name cheap-from-China eBay sets (all the same just different colors for visual cue) and found my husband's zip-off nylon trousers still wound up being packed loose, folded under the cubes. There just was no way to fold them to fit in largest cube I had, and if I forced them, one pair would have filled it!

So one day as I was folding them out of the dryer, I grabbed a tape measure, got the length and width, and search out some (also cheap eBay) cubes that large -- while still making sure they would fit in the IT carryons. I'll be able to fit one pants, two shirts, and (I think) undies and socks for two days, in these new cubes!

When packing into a packing cube, fold the clothing lengthwise and then ROLL it. Do not fold it as usual and pack it in the cube. Rolling resists wrinkles (Crazy but true!), and gets the air out, so rolled clothes take up a LOT less space. Then, you can even stack two rolls of clothes high in one packing cube.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 9:23 PM, TwinMamainMN said:

When packing into a packing cube, fold the clothing lengthwise and then ROLL it. Do not fold it as usual and pack it in the cube. Rolling resists wrinkles (Crazy but true!), and gets the air out, so rolled clothes take up a LOT less space. Then, you can even stack two rolls of clothes high in one packing cube.

Before packing cube, I never realized how good rolling some clothing is.  At home now I roll under ware to put in our dresser.  I fit more in so I don't have to store them in a box. 

• Like 1

Hello! I received my set of eBag packing cubes as a Christmas present from my daughter almost 2 years ago. I used them for the first time on a 5-day cruise this past March, then again on a 7-day cruise in June/July. I love ‘ em!!  Somehow, I appreciated them more during the latter cruise ( probably because we needed more changes of clothes ) and I ended up ordering another set of eBag cubes for my husband during Amazon Prime  Days. In fact, I was so excited about them that I convinced my son (a college student  who seems to travel quite a bit for his studies) to order some cubes, although his were a different brand and included matching laundry and shoe bags. 

I think that my daughter probably gave me a set because she also travels quite a bit for her job, and realized their value. My other daughter has cubes as well. I guess the next step is packing cubes for my 3 grandchildren, lol. 

Edited by sushitex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not quite true ... I've tried them two different times. They are not for me.

Odd duck 😉

I'm now packing for a little camping trip - cubes are going into my new SHERPANI Oslo pack!!!   A little easier to keep the pack neat when I'm rummaging through it with just a little light, looking for something.   I may look like a slob with my camping clothes on, but I'll be styling with my Sherpani 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Not quite true ... I've tried them two different times. They are not for me.

I'm with you....I now have four different kinds and I'm definitely not sold on them.  We went with an eBags backpack only on our recent trip to Hawaii and while it organized my bag well, I still think I fare better either bundling or folding our clothing Marie Kondo style.  Bundling actually has kept my clothing looking nicer, however it is work if you are doing multiple locations.  If I'm just cruising, it works perfectly.  I find Marie Kondo style packing works for me better all the way around though.  We are going on a 16 day European trip next year to include a cruise and I'm going to have to creatively pack because I do not want to deal with anything more than a carry on when we begin in Venice.  Everyone has what they believe works for them and while I love the organization part of the cubes, I can get more in with bundling.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, awhfy said:

I found another multi compartment case at Marshall’s yesterday, $5.99...score

22 hours ago, islandgirlejfan said:

... I still think I fare better either bundling or folding our clothing Marie Kondo style.  Bundling actually has kept my clothing looking nicer, however it is work if you are doing multiple locations.  If I'm just cruising, it works perfectly.

Can you explain this system? Do you mean bundle each outfit together? And if so, what about the pants/shorts that I will wear more than once? Fold 2 shirts with one pair of shorts/pants? And what about "this shirt goes with this skirt, this pair of shorts and I can wear it with this pair of capri pants." How do you pack that kind of stuff?

I watched the video. It shows basically how I packed befroe using packing cubes and rolling things, and organizing like things together. I much prefer packing cubes probably becasue I like being organized, but to each their own. Whatever works for you!