Packing cubes

Debbdo

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Did you notice the numbers of people speaking German?  It seems like the Germans still have a fascination with the American Wild West.  

We sure did recently in Death Valley. One German family had flown into LAX, rented a motorhome and had driven all the way up to SF, touring along the way and were going to do Grand Canyon etc. before flying home. The American West is stunning.

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

That was one LONG roadtrip!!  I can't imagine that long - I did my UT/AZ trip just the other week, doing 980 miles or so in 11 days, visiting 4 National Parks, 2 Navajo Tribal parks.   At least you didn't have spend time setting up/taking down your campsites!  Cubes were made for trips just like this!  My backpack stayed neat the entire time.  

A little OT here: which Parks did you visit?  I'm imagining the "Mighty 5" (Arches, Canyonlands, Brice, Zion, Grand Canyon) for sure.  Since you said Colorado, I'm thinking Mesa Verde and maybe Rocky Mountain???  Everyone needs to ditch one cruise for a roadtrip through our great National Parks in the Southwest!   Did you notice the numbers of people speaking German?  It seems like the Germans still have a fascination with the American Wild West.  I remember when the signs and menus down in Moab were frequently in German and Dutch!!!   And, I ran into several large tour busses filled with Asians - mostly Chinese.  One day, at Monument Valley, I felt like the only non-foreigner there - everyone around me was speaking something other than English!  I loved it!

We did Petrified National Forest and Grand Canyon in AZ, all 5 in Utah (Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches), plus Rocky Mountain in CO. It was amazing!

We met some Dutch and German travelers at a couple of the KOAs, and I took German in school and can still speak/understand it more or less, so it was fun to hear it again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We did Petrified National Forest and Grand Canyon in AZ, all 5 in Utah (Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches), plus Rocky Mountain in CO. It was amazing!

We met some Dutch and German travelers at a couple of the KOAs, and I took German in school and can still speak/understand it more or less, so it was fun to hear it again.

wow.  I did Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Parks waaaay back in 1965 when my mom, my brother and I moved from Pennsylvania to California.  They were both pretty cool!!!  I forgot about them.   They were on the way via Route 66 back then.  Capitol Reef is kind of a hidden gem - it gets missed on the route around the other Parks.  The little heritage village there is wonderful in the Fall - you can pick the apples in the orchard.  I almost did a detour to Capitol Reef on my last day on the drive home, but I needed to get home before it got too dark (I don't like to drive at night).  I'll save that for my next roadtrip in the Spring - I want to drive Highway 12, stop for dinner at Hells Backbone Grill in Boulder, drive to Capital Reef, Calf Creek Falls and whatever else I can think of.  

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, slidergirl said:

That was one LONG roadtrip!!  I can't imagine that long - I did my UT/AZ trip just the other week, doing 980 miles or so in 11 days, visiting 4 National Parks, 2 Navajo Tribal parks.   At least you didn't have spend time setting up/taking down your campsites!  Cubes were made for trips just like this!  My backpack stayed neat the entire time.  

A little OT here: which Parks did you visit?  I'm imagining the "Mighty 5" (Arches, Canyonlands, Brice, Zion, Grand Canyon) for sure.  Since you said Colorado, I'm thinking Mesa Verde and maybe Rocky Mountain???  Everyone needs to ditch one cruise for a roadtrip through our great National Parks in the Southwest!   Did you notice the numbers of people speaking German?  It seems like the Germans still have a fascination with the American Wild West.  I remember when the signs and menus down in Moab were frequently in German and Dutch!!!   And, I ran into several large tour busses filled with Asians - mostly Chinese.  One day, at Monument Valley, I felt like the only non-foreigner there - everyone around me was speaking something other than English!  I loved it!

We visited Niagara Falls this summer (both sides) and my FIL said it was the first time he felt like a minority with all the different people groups represented.

There are a lot of Amish and Mennonite where I live and it is interesting sometimes to be referred to as "The English" - especially since I am predominantly German 🙂 

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We visited Niagara Falls this summer (both sides) and my FIL said it was the first time he felt like a minority with all the different people groups represented.

There are a lot of Amish and Mennonite where I live and it is interesting sometimes to be referred to as "The English" - especially since I am predominantly German 🙂 

My SIL's house is surrounded with Amish farms - their meetinghouse in on the next property.  We can sit out on the porch and watch the kids "drag race" their buggies.  We go hit up the Mennonite butcher shop when I'm in town and always buy one of the wet-bottom shoo-fly pies from his wife.  And, she's not in the Lancaster/Reading area - these are ones who moved out because it was getting too "touristy."  Nice neighbors.   And, I do chuckle at "The English" too - our family is predominantly German also.  

• Like 1