DCL newbe.

wants2cruise2

Hi,

I have lots of experience across several different cruise lines, but planning my first Disney.  I know how other cruise pricing works and i get emails every day of BIG new sales from all the other lines.  Does Disney ever put cabins on sale after the cruise dates have opened? I know their WDW rooms do not change once posted, but packages are offered constantly if bookings are down so in a sense rooms are on sale.

Just trying to decide if I should book, or watch and wait.

33 minutes ago, wants2cruise2 said:

Hi,

I have lots of experience across several different cruise lines, but planning my first Disney.  I know how other cruise pricing works and i get emails every day of BIG new sales from all the other lines.  Does Disney ever put cabins on sale after the cruise dates have opened? I know their WDW rooms do not change once posted, but packages are offered constantly if bookings are down so in a sense rooms are on sale.

Just trying to decide if I should book, or watch and wait.

If a cruise isn't selling well (not often) DCL will sometimes offer last minute restricted rates.  These typically show up around the final payment date, have many restrictions (including you must pay in full, and there are no refunds).  

One thing, the earlier you book with DCL the lower the cost.  Even when the last minute rates are offered, they are typically higher than that same cruise was on opening day (when the cruise was first open for reservations).  

• 5 weeks later...

We always book on opening day for the best deal. For our Alaska cruise in 2015, it was about $4800 for 2 people in a verandah room on opening day. 3 months before we sailed, same category room was about $6700 for 2. Don’t think you can get a 30% discount on that price. The cruise was sold out at the end. For the more popular itineraries in peak seasons, book as early as possible.

I totally agree with the above--the earlier you book the better the price.  Occasionally if a cruise is not filling, DCL will offer "restricted" rates.  First, DO read the list of restrictions--they are significant.  And they rarely beat day 1 prices, although on occasion they do.

DCL is not like many other lines....there are no "fire sales" or wild price swings, no special days to book with a certain TA to get a discount.  In other words, none of the tricks.

That brings up another issue.  If you use a TA who does a lot of DCL booking, you will often get a small onboard credit from that agency as a "thanks for booking" gift.