Alaska Vs. Bermuda

Mufty16889

Hi fellow cruise lovers.  My apologies if this is not the correct forum for this topic as I am new to this website.  My husband and I would like to take a cruise in the next 2 years for our anniversary.  The top 2 cruises that we are considering are much different.  I am wondering if I can get some feedback regarding a cruise comparison and which you would be more likely to recommend.  The choices are: 7 day cruise to Alaska with Princess Cruises VS 7 day cruise to Bermuda with Norwegian Cruiselines.  I do know that the costs would be much different and Alaska would require us to fly to disembark while with Bermuda we would drive.  I am mostly interested in comparison of the cruiselines/ships themselves and the destinations.  This is something very special for us that we do not have a chance to do often and we don't want to make a wrong choice!! Thank you in advance.  😊

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

I gather you are new to cruising. Very typical, people go on a cruise and they find that they enjoy "cruising". So they come home and start planning the next cruise. 

If you follow my thought you will get to go to both destinations eventually. Both destinations are enjoyed by many, also note that they are both "seasonal"... spring, summer, fall. Not a get away from winter destination. However, they are very different. I think the main difference is the vistas and attractions in Alaska provide a more visual experience. Bermuda is more of a beach/sea experience. The only way you will get to go swimming in the ocean is if you are wearing a wet suit. Don't forget to think carefully about when you want to cruise... the weather to either location can be less than perfect in early spring and fall.

Now, what is more of importance to most people, is that the cruise to Alaska will end up costing much more than the trip to Bermuda. You have already mentioned the added cost of airline fares for yourself, there would necessarily also be added hotel costs. So you would need "extra" time. The cruises the same may cost about the same, but more important again, is what you would be spending when you are off the ship. After all you are going to Alaska, unless you see this becoming a regular event, your port days are going to be activity heavy. While you can find ways to spend less in some Alaskan ports, the activities that very much attract everyone, tend to be expensive. In Bermuda, you could spend the day going around the island by bus and ferry for very little cost. They have beautiful beaches that would only cost the price of transport. (the same pass that you used to see the island the day before)

If money is an issue, then pick Bermuda (and start saving for Alaska when you return), if not go to Alaska unless you want to hit the beach. 

hope this helps

have a great cruise

• Like 2

Yep, two entirely different cruises. One is about scenery, one is about sea days. I would take scenery (Alaska).

Have not sailed on Norwegian, but have sailed on Princess. Absolutely nothing wrong with Princess. But as we know nothing about you, hard to give you a recommendation. 

IMO:

Bermuda-boring

Alaska-interesting

Sounds like you may be comparing cruise costs by including pre/post cruise transportation et al.

Done correctly, I call this the "net daily rate" method (i.e., all required and optional costs door-to-door divided by number of days away). I mention this because it appears you've limited yourself to cruise lines with lowest cabin prices.

Do you realize that there are some cruise lines where the "cabin" price also includes air fare, beverages, internet, specialty restaurants and one or more other perks like booze, tours and/or SBC?

Do ALL the math.

• Thanks 1

Are you looking for sun/beaches or  cool scenery (pun intended)

What time of year do you intend to cruise?

It really is  a personal choice based on what you want to see & do

2 hours ago, Mufty16889 said:

Hi fellow cruise lovers.  My apologies if this is not the correct forum for this topic as I am new to this website.  My husband and I would like to take a cruise in the next 2 years for our anniversary.  The top 2 cruises that we are considering are much different.  I am wondering if I can get some feedback regarding a cruise comparison and which you would be more likely to recommend.  The choices are: 7 day cruise to Alaska with Princess Cruises VS 7 day cruise to Bermuda with Norwegian Cruiselines.  I do know that the costs would be much different and Alaska would require us to fly to disembark while with Bermuda we would drive.  I am mostly interested in comparison of the cruiselines/ships themselves and the destinations.  This is something very special for us that we do not have a chance to do often and we don't want to make a wrong choice!! Thank you in advance.  😊

An Alaskan cruise is ALL about Alaska.  Do you have a great want/need to experience Alaska?   If so, that's the one you should take.  You will be spending most of your time ashore, so the ship's amenities become less important.

Bermuda is a relaxed beachy destination.  It's not the Caribbean...Bermuda is in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of NC/SC....but it's very laid-back.  The ship's amenities will be more important on this cruise than on the Alaskan route.

Cost to get to your ship is a factor...where do you live?

• Thanks 1

...My husband and I would like to take a cruise in the next 2 years for our anniversary.  The top 2 cruises that we are considering are much different.  ...The choices are: 7 day cruise to Alaska with Princess Cruises VS 7 day cruise to Bermuda with Norwegian Cruiselines.  ...I am mostly interested in comparison of the cruiselines/ships themselves and the destinations.  This is something very special for us that we do not have a chance to do often and we don't want to make a wrong choice!! 

Of our 13 cruises, three have been to Alaska, and a fourth is booked. As a comparison, we have never cruised to a beach locale! (although we do have Hawaii/south Pacific AND southern Caribbean booked). We sailed the Panama Canal on Norwegian and while it was an older ship, we vowed never to sail on them again because if you can't keep an older ship presentable, and your crews happy enough not to be sullen, why should I trust your maintenance and employee policies enough to give you my business.

I've been trying to sail with Princess for many years but something always comes up! I feel confident that if everyone's health holds up, we will finally cruise on the Golden Princess 14-days to Alaska from port of Los Angeles. If you can get away for 15 days (flying to LA at least the day before embarking), this is a sweet itinerary:

Los Angeles, CA
At Sea
At Sea
At Sea
Ketchikan, AK
Icy Strait Point, AK
Juneau, AK
Hubbard Glacier cruising
Skagway, AK
Sitka, AK
At Sea
Victoria, BC (9-5)
At Sea
At Sea
Los Angeles, CA

It has two or three ports not usually included with a 7-day cruise: Icy Strait Point, Sitka (our favorite), and possibly Victoria British Columbia. 7-day cruises that leave from Seattle may stop at Victoria, but often not long enough for a trip to Butchart Gardens. Those from Vancouver will not have that port. The cost to fly to LAX will likely be less than Seattle or Vancouver and certainly to or from Anchorage if you are considering a one-way 7-day!

The three initial and two final seadays can give you some pool-time to make up for no beaches, as Golden Princess has a covered and heated pool. 

If you choose Alaska, I can give you my suggestions for things to do in the ports. I don't believe the schedules for 2021 Alaska are out; what if any ship will be doing the LA itinerary -- it won't be GoldenP because she is transferring to P&O Australia...

One thing the photos mostly don't show is that Princess has recently removed the second chair from Balcony, Ocean View, and Inside cabins! Leaving only one desk chair and the bed for sitting on. But maybe by next year they will see the error in that choice! We will be in Minisuites (five people in two MS) because it was cheaper then three Oceanviews.

• Thanks 1

Obviously you will get lots of opinions.  I have been to Bermuda once - it was more than enough.  I have been  to AK 7 or 8 times.  Just came back from AK about 1 month or so ago.  I would go back to AK again.

DON

• Thanks 1

Wow thanks everyone for the very thoughtful and thorough responses so far! My apologies as I guess I was vague in my first post. This would be my 4th cruise, so I wouldn’t say I’m that new to cruising. 

As far as timing, we would do Alaska either June or September. Bermuda would be November. I’ve done a ton of research so I’m already aware of the weather conditions that time of year in both locations. The Alaskan cruise is a round trip from Seattle. We have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise as that is a place we have always wanted to visit, mainly for the scenery.  But Bermuda would be much more convenient since we live on the East coast and we strongly desired to be away for our actual anniversary, which is in November. (I know Alaskan cruises don’t run in November.) Also Bermuda struck me as a more relaxing cruise compared to Alaska, where there are a bunch of ports and activities to pursue. Having the chance to just relax is appealing. 

I selected Princess because we have sailed Princess before (actually same ship as this cruise - Ruby Princess) and were very satisfied. Norwegian was our other choice because they were running the Bermuda cruise on the dates we wanted and I’ve heard good things about Norwegian. 

We are limited to 7 days for this cruise. I only mentioned the cost because I’m aware that there is a big difference but i don’t want it to be part of the equation in comparing the two cruises. Basically I don’t want to select a cruise based on cost alone. 

Please keep your responses coming! Thanks again!

Edited by Mufty16889

Wow thanks everyone for the very thoughtful and thorough responses so far! My apologies as I guess I was vague in my first post. This would be my 4th cruise, so I wouldn’t say I’m that new to cruising. 

As far as timing, we would do Alaska either June or September. Bermuda would be November. I’ve done a ton of research so I’m already aware of the weather conditions that time of year in both locations. The Alaskan cruise is a round trip from Seattle. We have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise as that is a place we have always wanted to visit, mainly for the scenery.  But Bermuda would be much more convenient since we live on the East coast and we strongly desired to be away for our actual anniversary, which is in November. (I know Alaskan cruises don’t run in November.) Also Bermuda struck me as a more relaxing cruise compared to Alaska, where there are a bunch of ports and activities to pursue. Having the chance to just relax is appealing. 

I selected Princess because we have sailed Princess before (actually same ship as this cruise - Ruby Princess) and were very satisfied. Norwegian was our other choice because they were running the Bermuda cruise on the dates we wanted and I’ve heard good things about Norwegian. 

We are limited to 7 days for this cruise. I only mentioned the cost because I’m aware that there is a big difference but i don’t want it to be part of the equation in comparing the two cruises. Basically I don’t want to select a cruise based on cost alone. 

I'm sure you would enjoy a cruise to either location; so I will just make a suggestion for each:

Bermuda: Find a cruise that includes at least two overnights in Bermuda - a day and a half is just too short.

Alaska: If you wish to visit Alaska for the scenery, instead of the round-trip from Seattle, consider one of the southbound cruises from Anchorage (actually Whittier) to Vancouver that cruises at both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park - enjoy the train ride from Anchorage to Whittier and cruise through the two most acclaimed glacier locations.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mufty16889 said:

As far as timing, we would do Alaska either June or September. Bermuda would be November. The Alaskan cruise is a round trip from Seattle. We have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise as that is a place we have always wanted to visit, mainly for the scenery. 

Do Alaska in June: Not only is the sun up late into the night, but the whales are much more active because they are so happy to be back in the food-rich northern waters after spending the winter near Hawaii. If sailing a roundtrip, I recommend boarding in Vancouver, so you spend your first day of sailing in the beautiful inside passage between Vancouver Island and British Columbia, instead of out to sea with barely any land in sight. If sailing one way, I take the opposite view from Nantahala and say, cruise from Vancouver to Whittier (or Seward if you were to choose HAL) -- that way you are getting more and more "Alaskan" as you go. And you don't have to stop at Victoria with its non-alaskan vibe. 

All that aside, it seems this may not be the time for you to tour Alaska. Bermuda will be more relaxing and fall at your true anniversary. If you really want it to be relaxing and feel pampered, look again for a different line than Norwegian -- Holland America, Princess, maybe Celebrity...

• Thanks 1

We actually selected the itinerary we did for Alaska because it included Victoria. I have been there before and fell in love with it and would love to take my husband there. Although it is true that Vancouver Island is beautiful too. (I’ve been there, and Vancouver, also.) 

I just may have to see about other cruiselines going to Bermuda that time of year. This particular cruise does have 3 days in Bermuda. I’ve already checked Princess. 

1 hour ago, Mufty16889 said:

We actually selected the itinerary we did for Alaska because it included Victoria. I have been there before and fell in love with it and would love to take my husband there. Although it is true that Vancouver Island is beautiful too. (I’ve been there, and Vancouver, also.) 

I just may have to see about other cruiselines going to Bermuda that time of year. This particular cruise does have 3 days in Bermuda. I’ve already checked Princess. 

Hi

Again, I will say that it is all about what you want to do.

In November the weather in Bermuda will be cooling. If you want to go to the beach, on the plus side, they would be quieter. The negative, would be that the water will be cold. 

• Thanks 1

I can say from my personal experience of 3 past AK cruises on 3 different Princess ships out of Seattle (and going again soon!) that the 7 day itinerary is a very nice introduction to AK. Lots of beautiful scenery. Princess is known in the cruise industry to "do" AK itineraries very well. Their onboard naturalists provide commentary during scenic cruising in places like Tracy Arm fjord, which I find to be a lovely experience. And they spend time on the bridge watching for sea life to alert passengers to the presence of whales, etc, and give informational talks about AK on sea days. On two of my cruises, the naturalist was Libby Riddles, a woman who has competed in the Iditarod dog sled races.

I have done one AK cruise in mid June, and the other 2 in early September. I prefer September because the sea has been warmed all summer and the air temps will probably be a bit warmer, as opposed to the sea being relatively cold, due to it being  early summer in June, so the air temps may be cooler.

• Thanks 1

We have cruised both this year, Bermuda in February and Alaska June. Alaska was amazing, Bermuda OK, two completely different cruises. I have no inclination to go to Bermuda again, it felt like an overpriced Caribbean island, whereas I will definitely cruise to Alaska again.

• Thanks 1

Our first cruise was to Bermuda and we loved it so much that we went back 10 more times.We have cruised there on Cunard,HAL and Celebrity.

We only went to Alaska once on HAL and that was our favorite vacation. We did 7 days land followed by 7 days sea.

If I had a choice to return to either now it would be Alaska.

• Thanks 1

Nice choices for a second anniversary.  Not sure how you will keep topping that off in future years.

We’ve been married 33 years and done 16 cruises and not been to Alaska as yet (my wife likes the Caribbean and sunshine and claims we are still too young to do Alaska)

Go figure

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Haha 1

We've done 3 Alaska cruises (two the first week in July, the other the first week in August) on Princess and one 5 day land vacation (Pompano Beach Club) in Bermuda.  We enjoyed them all but would chose Alaska again before a Bermuda cruise if only because of the many and varied ports on an Alaskan cruise.  A cruise with a single day or even an overnight in Bermuda just doesn't compare.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Nice choices for a second anniversary.  Not sure how you will keep topping that off in future years.

We’ve been married 33 years and done 16 cruises and not been to Alaska as yet (my wife likes the Caribbean and sunshine and claims we are still too young to do Alaska)

Go figure

Sorry for the confusion. This is not our second anniversary. It is just that we want to go in the next two years. It will be our way of celebrating TEN years of marriage. 😊

With your anniversary in November and you looking for a relaxing week I think I would go with the Bermuda cruise.  That way you can actually celebrate your anniversary.  I would save the Alaska cruise for later when you have a little more time to get away and enjoy the wonderful scenery that you will see.  I would definitely do the Alaska cruise as you don't hear too many complaints from people that do.  Oh sure, the beaches are a little cool from the glaciers dumping into them, and all those whales around while you are trying to swim, but otherwise it is wonderful.   Such beautiful scenery, much different than an island beach destination.  Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip for your anniversary.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, Mufty16889 said:

May I make a suggestion - smaller type.

DON

I think the real question is which one do you do now, vs which one do you do later. Both should be experienced eventually. It would depend on which one you are feeling at the time.

Alaska is gorgeous. You will see a lot more beautiful sights on that cruise than probably any other cruise out there with a similar duration. It's typically not your warm weather vacation that we often associate cruises with.

Bermuda is an "uncommon" warm weather beach as it is out in no man's land. Seems to have some good similarities and differences from the Caribbean. You will have a lot less variety of sights on this time of itinerary, and it will be sea day heavy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I think the real question is which one do you do now, vs which one do you do later. Both should be experienced eventually. It would depend on which one you are feeling at the time.

Alaska is gorgeous. You will see a lot more beautiful sights on that cruise than probably any other cruise out there with a similar duration. It's typically not your warm weather vacation that we often associate cruises with.

Bermuda is an "uncommon" warm weather beach as it is out in no man's land. Seems to have some good similarities and differences from the Caribbean. You will have a lot less variety of sights on this time of itinerary, and it will be sea day heavy.

I think that is exactly right. That is the real question, which one to do now and which to do later. I’m really starting to think that I can’t go wrong with either choice. 

• Like 1