Tender ports

Janet&Carl

I've been looking and looking and I can't find out how do you know if any of your ports will be tender.   Also how does it work if your embarkation or disembarkation port are tenders.  What happens to the luggage.  Is it taken off the ship for you ? or do you take it off on the tender yourself ?

It is very rare that the de-barking will be in a tender port, This is not practical for many reason one of which you stated (luggage) although it can happen if very small numbers of passengers are getting off.

Only once have we left the ship by tender and that was in the Caribbean & receiving some bad news. 

It was not fun even with plenty of help from the crew.

As I remember Costa has few cruises per season from/to Male - it is tender port. Ships used there are rather smaller than bigger but I think that minimum few hundred guests are starting/finishing cruise there.

Unfortunately I do know know how embarkation/disembarkation is organized. I hope Costa take luggage at the pier and organize separate tender for it. I cannot imagine that all pasangers are going to tender boat with big suitcases and carry them to the ship.

The only time I ever saw luggage taken ashore from tender was in Guernsey from the Sea Princess when friends of ours departed our cruise although we all boarded at Southampton.

The luggage went ashore separately & was held in a store for the ten or so passengers who disembarked there, my friend said that passport were checked against each suit case taken.

Our cruise finishes in Male, Maldives, as you say greg2014 it is a tender port.  As it is a three week cruise that starts in Venice a lot of the passengers on the ship will be leaving here this week and some continuing to the following week and leaving in Mumbai after 28 days.   I think it will be interesting to see what happens.  I havent been able to find any information anywhere about what happens.