Tell me about the Grandeur!

Have this ship booked for Bermuda next April, mainly for the itenerary but will be first time on this small of ship in the Royal line of ships, we always make the most of our cruises and don't worry about all the bells and whistles of the newer ships not being on the Grandeur!.....thanks!

• Like 1

Friendly ship with a great crew!  Cruise Maryland is the easiest embarkation/debarkation we have ever experienced.  Yes, the ship is older, but well maintained and clean.  It's a more traditional cruising experience.  As long as you're not looking for a flow rider, laser tag, or bumper cars I'm sure you will have a great time.  While in Baltimore check out Inner Harbor, Little Italy, Ft McHenry, and the many sights Charm City has to offer.

5 hours ago, hogwildcruzers said:

Looks like we will enjoy this ship and Baltimore, we have reservations to stay Inner Harbor the day before, thank you all!

If you are looking for a nice place to eat at the Inner Harbor The Rusty Scupper is our favorite! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mzhibbs said:

If you are looking for a nice place to eat at the Inner Harbor The Rusty Scupper is our favorite! :)

We've sailed GR many times. Sailing again this Saturday for the 5 night Bermuda cruise.  The 5 night cruise is a good one for beginners to book. Short  cruise  for you all to sea if this a ship and cruise you would like. Try it, you'll love it.

Rick and Deirdra

The Grandeur is a great ship.  We have had numerous cruises on her, and every cruise was outstanding.  The smallness of the ship is a definite advantage.  Staff are most friendly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love PalmTrees said:

I have read some reviews saying that Grandeur basically "closes down" at 10pm.  Are there any late evening (before midnight) activities, areas with music, etc?  We are not big partiers, but do enjoy a nice glass of wine with some music.  Thanks!  

I was on the GOS two years ago in Sept and it was pretty dead after 9pm, but everything wasn't closed. Just not a lot of people around (at least on my New England/Canada cruise). We would go to the Viking Lounge for late night drinks.   It wasn't very busy but it was open and a good place to sit and sip cocktails.  I'm thinking we were there until about midnight or so.   We'd also go to schooner bar were there was piano music until maybe 10 or 11 and more of a crowd.

I did a live review if you'd like to check it out.

Enjoy the Grandeur!  It is a lovely ship and the crew is awesome 😄

Lisa N.

Edited by CLE2CRUISE

On 7/28/2019 at 10:00 PM, hogwildcruzers said:

Have this ship booked for Bermuda next April, mainly for the itenerary but will be first time on this small of ship in the Royal line of ships, we always make the most of our cruises and don't worry about all the bells and whistles of the newer ships not being on the Grandeur!.....thanks!

Great port for embarkation, Great ship with a Great crew.

If you enjoy the feeling of being on an ocean voyage and not an amusement park you will be back for even longer sailings on this most wonderful ship..

We are waiting patiently for our next upcoming 12 night Caribbean cruise on her and looking forward to getting back to one of our favorite ships.

• Like 1

All those posting are LYING.

Grandeur is an old, worn out ship, with nothing to do.  STAY AWAY.  You will not like it.

RUN AWAY, go on a different ship.

Hmm, maybe that will keep some away.  😄

BTW, Grandeur sales almost every sailing FULL.  And MANY repeat customers.  Last cruise, the top tier event overflowed the theater.  I forget, but over 60% of passengers were invited to the top tier event.  34 Pinnacles (out of 2300 total passengers).

We have sailed 4 times on her, and have 2 more booked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CLE2CRUISE:  Thanks for the "late night" info.  Sounds like we have some options.  Schooner Bar area is one of my favorite places on Royal ships.  We did a Celebrity cruise a few yrs back and the ship was pretty much "dead" after the second show.  Ended up watching movies in the cabin just about every night.  I will check out your review.  Thanks!!  😎

I am in Grandeur now, for the 9 night Canada and New England cruise and will be happy to answer any questions.

Regarding the repeat passengers, ,according to numbers mentioned at the top tier party,  a lot of the ship  are apparently past passengers, but on this sailing, not as many in the upper tiers. We have eight pinnacle guests and less than 200 diamond and diamond plus combined.  Now that I write this, the number seemed small but I just realized it is about 10% of the ship. 

Service has generally been good, food has been very good, but in my opinion entertainment has been just fair.    We had a decent headliner the other night, but the first production show lacked energy, and the other two headliners were magic/juggling types.    I hope tonight‘s production show was better than last one. Of course the headliners will change frequently, but the production shows likely not.     OP, maybe when you sail there will be a new cast. 

All the staff and crew have been very nice and helpful.  I am back on the ship  again next month, and will look forward to another nice experience. 

The port was easy to navigate, parking was convenient, and the check-in seemed a lot more manual/low tech compared to some of the other ports we have sailed. 

I am hoping that the departure is as easy as the embarkation. 

M

On 7/29/2019 at 11:26 AM, hogwildcruzers said:

Looks like we will enjoy this ship and Baltimore, we have reservations to stay Inner Harbor the day before, thank you all!

At what hotel are you staying? Last time we stayed at the Renaissance which was very nice.