Cruise Critic Community
steve333

Cruise insurance

The problem in finding the best and cheapest policy depends so much on your pre existing medical conditions. To give a couple of examples, and no criticism intended, Selbourne says Aviva does an annual family policy for £100 for his family. I did a dummy booking with them for an annual policy for cruising Europe just for myself with an existing medical condition - heart failure - and whilst they were prepared to insure me for £67 it was on the basis my pre- existing conditions were excluded, so not much use. Likewise Insure and Go, which gave Clodia's husband a good deal for £72 quoted me £370 for annual Europe cruise cover. Apologies for quoting the two people concerned, and not intended as a slight at all.

31 minutes ago, kenhem said:

The problem in finding the best and cheapest policy depends so much on your pre existing medical conditions. To give a couple of examples, and no criticism intended, Selbourne says Aviva does an annual family policy for £100 for his family. I did a dummy booking with them for an annual policy for cruising Europe just for myself with an existing medical condition - heart failure - and whilst they were prepared to insure me for £67 it was on the basis my pre- existing conditions were excluded, so not much use. Likewise Insure and Go, which gave Clodia's husband a good deal for £72 quoted me £370 for annual Europe cruise cover. Apologies for quoting the two people concerned, and not intended as a slight at all.

I have similar problems with insurance. As I have incurable cancer and am on permanent chemotherapy a lot of the companies mentioned, although my doctors say I am fit to travel, will not offer me any cover at all.

Thankfully I found that the Women’s Institute have partnered with Open Travel Insurance to provide annual worldwide  Travel Insurance with no medical questions. Without this I would not be able to cruise.

Juliax

36 minutes ago, kenhem said:

No offence taken Kenhem. It obviously varies by medical condition and age. Although my wife has a serious disability, now making her a full time wheelchair user, it isn’t likely to cause her to be hospitalised suddenly. On that basis, Aviva were happy to specifically include her pre existing condition and still quote a great premium (it’s actually well under £100 for all 4 of us). We are also both in our 50’s and our daughters are in their 20’s. My father has heart failure and is now at the stage where he is being hospitalised for a week or so at a time every few months, so the risk factors for that condition would  be massively higher. If nothing else, I hope that this thread encourages people to shop around. On this site and on actual cruises, other passengers have mentioned telephone number costs for premiums that I am sure, in many cases, were needlessly excessive.