Noticed Changes in RCL Cruising Overall

44 minutes ago, mattb31 said:

I've sailed Celebrity, yes, and most of the things mentioned were the same, it doesn't have anything to do with the ships being more upscale. There was still the dining room "parties" etc, the trivia prizes were no more than like pens or pencils, the shops were super expensive, and there wasn't much enforcement on the deck regarding chairs or kids in the solarium.

I actually thought RCL did a way better job of keeping kids out of the solarium than Celebrity did.

We sail both Royal and Celebrity and Personally, I don’t see much of a difference in the two lines. I definitely don’t feel Celebrity is “classier” or more upscale.  More choices in food but not necessarily better tasting food.😂

And I agree with you regarding kids in the Solarium, on our recent Equinox cruise, staff walked by kids swimming in the pool and teenagers in the hot tub with their parents and did not say anything to them.🙄

Sherri🙂

The staff are so over those parades. They look miserable doing it too. I for one could live without it. It serves no purpose other than to disrupt dinner. I couldn't believe the amount of people walking in to the theater with that dried out popcorn. My guess is that they didn't realize you had to pay for it until it was too late. There are so many other items available on the ship for no extra cost why pay for popcorn?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The staff are so over those parades. They look miserable doing it too. I for one could live without it. It serves no purpose other than to disrupt dinner. I couldn't believe the amount of people walking in to the theater with that dried out popcorn. My guess is that they didn't realize you had to pay for it until it was too late. There are so many other items available on the ship for no extra cost why pay for popcorn?

It just... smells so GOOD!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

We sail both Royal and Celebrity and Personally, I don’t see much of a difference in the two lines. I definitely don’t feel Celebrity is “classier” or more upscale.  More choices in food but not necessarily better tasting food.😂

And I agree with you regarding kids in the Solarium, on our recent Equinox cruise, staff walked by kids swimming in the pool and teenagers in the hot tub with their parents and did not say anything to them.🙄

Sherri🙂

Isn't the Solarium 16 and older, so the teens would be allowed.  My daughter, who is almost 19 still looks about 12. LOL  

54 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Side note: I thought only Carnival gave out playing cards at GS.

27 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were able to get cards on Anthem in the library.  We saw a crew member put out a new box of them when we were there.  

Yes, GS definitely used to give out free playing cards for the asking.  And some ships, like the Anthem, put them out in the library or the card room, if any ship still has one.  😮

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, mzhibbs said:

Isn't the Solarium 16 and older, so the teens would be allowed.  My daughter, who is almost 19 still looks about 12. LOL  

Solarium is for 16 and older but these kids were definitely not 16.  The one girl told one adult she was 14 but her mom quickly said, no, you’re 16, remember? 🙄

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

That has been the answer for us too.  Quieter, less hectic, more variety.

I know there are Windjammer haters out there but, I love the variety, the quietness at dinner time and the choice to stay as long or as little as I choose.

The main dining room is too slow for me.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

We can deal with the time it takes in the MDR if it was a pleasant environment.  We just don't find it an enjoyable experience anymore.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Like you we cruise then all. However,  Celebrity is getting the same as RCI. RCI owns Celebrity, so they will change and have dinne so. 

Have not had dinner in Celebrity MDR in years.  Always had dinner in BLU or specialty.  Ships seemed cleaner, crew happier but most of all the Martini Bar

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

That has been the answer for us too.  Quieter, less hectic, more variety.

The formula is working...soon you will only have buffet or for fee specialty dining.....period.  

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Windjammer is the answer.

Excuse me but that's not the alternative people should accept.  I have posted several times before about the loud announcements every night in the MDR.  As the OP said, one night is enough.  You don't do a pep rally every night if you're trying to sell fine dining.  Just serve good food in a nice atmosphere with people dressed appropriately.

• Like 1

Sadly I seem to see the same kind of posts across every cruise line.  We have only sailed twice with Royal, while I have done 27+ cruises in all.  All of them are beginning to have things that used to be free that aren't, Carnival seems to really have the crowd that enjoys the singing/parading in the dining room, and often several of their staff really get into it, while others not so much.  Last Royal cruise we never stepped in the MDR, we did the specialty dining every night.  Honestly if I can afford it I will probably pay for it on our cruise in March.  We did buy Popcorn on the Allure last year, though I don't remember what we paid.  

Can't say about the alcohol sales, I have done a couple Europe cruises and I don't recall not being able to buy alcohol in the gift shops on other lines, but I also don't buy it anyway.  So I don't pay a lot of attention.  

My parents and my sister and her husband did an Australia cruise on Celebrity and they hated it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Exactly. Popcorn really shouldn't be an extra charge at all. It was free on BOTS. They're finding ways and means to nickel and dime all of us every possible chance they can attain.

47 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Have not had dinner in Celebrity MDR in years.  Always had dinner in BLU or specialty.  Ships seemed cleaner, crew happier but most of all the Martini Bar

Prefer dinner in luminae and maybe a couple in specialty

2 hours ago, galfromkazoo said:

We just returned from a Baltic cruise with Royal Caribbean and there was no parading or singing in the dining room.

They were enforcing no children in the solarium.  I felt bad for the few kids on board as it was too cold to spend much time in the pools until the last couple of days.

It was too cold to watch movies outside so I am not sure if popcorn was available.

They had alcohol in the shops but I did not pay attention to the prices.  My luggage is heavy enough.

That's ours next summer. We've never done a Baltic; looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, queenfrostine22 said:

I know there are Windjammer haters out there but, I love the variety, the quietness at dinner time and the choice to stay as long or as little as I choose.

Windjammer was quite pleasant on VOTS. It was kept very clean and maintained good varieties. 

1 hour ago, Giorgi-one said:

Excuse me but that's not the alternative people should accept.  I have posted several times before about the loud announcements every night in the MDR.  As the OP said, one night is enough.  You don't do a pep rally every night if you're trying to sell fine dining.  Just serve good food in a nice atmosphere with people dressed appropriately.

You are excused.  It is currently the best alternative available. You know it going in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Solarium is for 16 and older but these kids were definitely not 16.  The one girl told one adult she was 14 but her mom quickly said, no, you’re 16, remember? 🙄

Sherri🙂

This makes my blood boil!!  I hate when parents teach their children to cheat by lying about their age.  The parents are supposed to set the example for their children and this example that it is ok to lie is unacceptable.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Perhaps you could bring your own cards, probably won't put you in the naughty room.

Hmm, maybe they are naughty cards. LOL   

I generally bring my own cards. I bought some cards for my grandmother on a Royal ship several years ago as a souvenir just so she and her little lady friends could play some games.  Once she passed, I got them back and now use them as my cards for playing on the ship.  It's just a sweet reminder of her.

I never knew you could get them from Guest Services. 

• Like 1