Noticed Changes in RCL Cruising Overall

37 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Agreed.  There are also a few hotel chains that don't provide pens and stationary anymore.....but still have the bible in the nightstand.

That's because hotels do not provide the bibles.  The Gideons do.  And it's the only item in the hotel room people are encouraged to take.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 7:41 AM, Paelos said:

I also think the parading is odd, and don't really care for it. I'm okay with them doing it during dinner on the first night and singing songs on the last night. More than that is just crazy overkill.

I agree.  On the Ovation last month they did it every night in the dining room.  The head waiter also told a joke over the PA every night.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, Snit13 said:

Celebrity is a steps above RCL and little if no comparison in my opinion.  Have you sailed Celebrity?  I have sailed Princess, NCL, RCL and Celebrity.  There is no comparison.  Wish I lived close to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami so I could sail Celebrity.  RCL is ok but just not as much class.

Celebrity is a very nice cruise line...for older people. Royal Caribbean is much more FUN. When we get older, we'll enjoy Celebrity more.

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

That's because hotels do not provide the bibles.  The Gideons do.  And it's the only item in the hotel room people are encouraged to take.

Who knew? I would never think of taking a bible especially since I never knew they were there for the taking. Honestly if I was interested in reading the Bible at this point I would download it.

21 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Celebrity is a very nice cruise line...for older people. Royal Caribbean is much more FUN. When we get older, we'll enjoy Celebrity more.

Have sailed both and as an older person I agree. Two different experiences. Depending on who’s traveling with us and or what type of cruise we want designates which line we sail.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:07 PM, mugtech said:

You are excused.  It is currently the best alternative available. You know it going in.

You missed my point.  The alternative should be a nice quiet dinner in the MDR.  What they are trying to do is convince you the food is great and you are having a great time.  Don't tell me.  Show me.  Like many here have agreed - bush league!

Also there are many different dining options on Oasis class ships.  I had lunch a few times in the Windjammer on our recent Oasis Cruise.  I thought the food was the worst I have experienced on 35 cruises.  No way I would want to eat that for dinner. We will be bringing best ear protection I can find for our next RCL cruise!

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

My father once said to me that he would always believe everything I told him until he catches me in a lie once. After that he was under no obligation to believe anything I said. I never forgot it and I never lied to him.

Some of us had very strict parents. I think it was good for me. 

On 7/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, Snit13 said:

Celebrity is a steps above RCL and little if no comparison in my opinion.  Have you sailed Celebrity?  I have sailed Princess, NCL, RCL and Celebrity.  There is no comparison.  Wish I lived close to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami so I could sail Celebrity.  RCL is ok but just not as much class.

Totally agree.  Also a higher class of passengers.  Most dress for formal nights - not necessarily tuxes and gowns.  Also dress nicely on casual nights.  Have never seen shorts in the MDR and dungarees very infrequently.  Way fewer announcements and only one laid back pep rally in the MDR. Definitely a more upscale experience.  Price is higher but usually includes Beverage package, prepaid gratuities and at least $300 OBC which makes it competitive.  Looking forward to Celebrity Edge.

I'm sure someone will ask why I'm sailing RCL.  We like Oasis class ships, my daughter's wanted to try them and couldn't pass up price on Oasis sailing out of Port Liberty which is one hour drive from our home.

Note: women's designer jeans are not dungarees.

23 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

You missed my point.  The alternative should be a nice quiet dinner in the MDR.  What they are trying to do is convince you the food is great and you are having a great time.  Don't tell me.  Show me.  Like many here have agreed - bush league!

Knowing this is the case you keep booking RC and keep eating in the MDR.  You missed my point.

7 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

Totally agree.  Also a higher class of passengers.  Most dress for formal nights - not necessarily tuxes and gowns.  Also dress nicely on casual nights.  Have never seen shorts in the MDR and dungarees very infrequently.  Way fewer announcements and only one laid back pep rally in the MDR. Definitely a more upscale experience.  Price is higher but usually includes Beverage package, prepaid gratuities and at least $300 OBC which makes it competitive.  Looking forward to Celebrity Edge.

I'm sure someone will ask why I'm sailing RCL.  We like Oasis class ships, my daughter's wanted to try them and couldn't pass up price on Oasis sailing out of Port Liberty which is one hour drive from our home.

Note: women's designer jeans are not dungarees.

I’ve always felt Celebrity passengers think they are higher class😂😂

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Knowing this is the case you keep booking RC and keep eating in the MDR.  You missed my point.

I never miss anything!  Our June cruise was the first time we experienced pep rallies every night.  Hadn't been on RCL in about 5 years.  Read my other recent post for more info!

55 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I’ve always felt Celebrity passengers think they are higher class😂😂

And many times people who THINK they are of a "higher class" are exactly the people I find are best being avoided.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, fscool said:

I've found that RCL is pushing it with regards to photo taking locations.  On my last cruise they were roping off stairways and blocking walkways in the promenade so they could take photos.  If this is so important to RCL they should really have a separate room for this.  

This made me laugh. They have been roping off the formal staircase since the beginning of cruises. And they've blocked off the promenade for the car portrait for 20 years.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

This made me laugh. They have been roping off the formal staircase since the beginning of cruises. And they've blocked off the promenade for the car portrait for 20 years.

How is Merrit Island project coming along?  Bell wants to visit

Edited by John&LaLa

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

How is Merrit Island project coming along?  Bell wants to visit

Tower is mostly finished. Mostly sold out on upper levels. Restaurant is getting ready to break ground, maybe next month? We were shopping tiki bars and restaurants from a windjammer cruise last week. There were lots of great ideas in St. Lucia.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Have sailed both and as an older person I agree. Two different experiences. Depending on who’s traveling with us and or what type of cruise we want designates which line we sail.

We alternate Royal and Princess. 

Two different styles, but both appeal to us. 

Guest moe46
On 7/29/2019 at 10:42 AM, dutchclogs said:

IMHO Celebrity does have a different vibe to RCL.  And is a step above, certainly food wise.  The food in the MDR on the Grandeur a couple of weeks was the worst we have experienced in 15 cruises.  I was surprised at the announcements for the pay brunch but in all fairness we did not experience any pressure to try speciality dining. 

I totally agree. We ate dinner in the Windjammer a few nights and it was much better. (Missed you at mix and mingle).

On 7/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, Snit13 said:

I agree with Snit13, Celebrity is a different experience overall.  The passengers are a little older and the atmosphere is more refined, for lack of a better word.  

13 minutes ago, MLP12 said:

more refined, for lack of a better word.  

Refined is a better word than classy. Every time someone uses the word classy I cringe. All I visualize is the bleached blond in a gagster movie cracking her gum and swinging her purse saying, "This is a real classy joint".

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Most of them were harmless, fudging of the facts, akin to "the dog at my homework".

But you are a better person than I. I needed a butt-whipping or two in order to stop......stretching the truth.

It's not a lie if you believe it to be true....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

My point was that they seem to be doing more and more of it.  On my last cruise, especially on the formal nights, I counted 8 locations blocked off at the same time including the 2 formal staircases of course.  This was just in and around the promenade.