Have I made a mistake?

teachesfirst

The boys will be fine.  I just know they would have preferred shorts.  Dressed up for them is usually shorts and a polo with deck shoes.  They'll tough it out though - lol 

Dinner is where we all meet up.  I'm hoping we can get two tables of 10.  We all do our own thing during the day and meet up for dinner.  

My worries have be relieved...thanks for all the input! 

3 hours ago, teachesfirst said:

Dinner is where we all meet up.  I'm hoping we can get two tables of 10.  We all do our own thing during the day and meet up for dinner.  

Just make sure your reservations are all linked and the same time (early or late) ticked off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, teachesfirst said:

Well - -we are a group of 20.  Not obnoxious, but sometimes silly.  We are always considerate - which is why I'm bringing it up.  There were just so many descriptors of "quiet" "calm" "laid back" "older crowd" etc. that I was a bit worried.  

But I'm over it.  We are going to have a blast!  

My last cruise on HAL had 3 tour groups from Australia onboard.  They were not quiet, laid back, or calm, and took full advantage of the beverage package.  They were a lot of fun.  

I think you have the wrong impression of HAL cruises.  And by the way, we "older" passengers like to have fun too.

Roz

• Like 1

14 hours ago, teachesfirst said:

Two tables for 10 is not likely, especially two tables for 10 near each other. There are just not that many tables for 10 (if any).
I would suggest two tables for 6 and one table for 8, all near each other. Then, everyone can switch around every night. That way everyone gets to dine with everyone else once in a while. The stewards can handle that, even when one of the tables has a different team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I think you have the wrong impression of HAL cruises.  And by the way, we "older" passengers like to have fun too.

Roz

Yeah -- that is what I was wondering.  That is why I asked if I made a mistake.  I normally would have looked carefully at the ships, but to be honest, I didn't think about it because the dates worked with our limited schedules.  

And then I started reading all of these comments about HAL being so sophisticated and reserved and wondered if I made a mistake,  

And by the way -- I'm one of the "older" passengers. LOL  And one of our group is celegrating the 80th brithday and we ALL want to be like her when we grown up!  🙂 Thanks for all the input. 

If my 20 something nieces and nephews had a great time and re-booked another HAL cruise while onboard, your group will enjoy it as well.  Go and have a great time, like I said before, don't sweat the small stuff................

• Like 1

I think you will be fine. Sure, there are always some passengers who complain about noise, people enjoying themselves etc etc. These tend to be ‘the early to beds’ so you probably won’t be upsetting them anyway! These ships are big enough that you can always find a spot to have fun without upsetting others. 

On the Zaandam, we had a big round table for 10 at a fixed time, but they put us on the Anytime level of the MDR bc (I assume) any 10-tops upstairs was taken. We were Anytime on Zuiderdam and were put at larger tables frequently, but my memory says they were mostly if not always rectangular tables for 6 or 8. I'm sure the dining management will do their best to accommodate you!

I would like to be on your cruise, I think you and your group are going to liven things up.  I bet other passengers disembark the ship having had the best times of their lives because of you.  The Zuiderdam is a good pick for you - fabulous Captains and crew!  Come back to this thread after your cruise and let us know what a fabulous time you all had!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gigianne said:

I would like to be on your cruise, I think you and your group are going to liven things up.  I bet other passengers disembark the ship having had the best times of their lives because of you.  The Zuiderdam is a good pick for you - fabulous Captains and crew!  Come back to this thread after your cruise and let us know what a fabulous time you all had!

Its funny you say that.  We have been traveling together since our children met at 3 and 6 months.  They are 23 now.  We have been going to the same hotel for Memorial Day since they were 2.  So many guests have come up to us and said that they come back every year just to hang out with us because we are so much fun.  :)  

I'm excited now.  I think I might have had a wrong first impression.  Our group would have probably liked the rock climbing and flo riders, but we can make our own fun too.  

Because you’ve booked a New Years cruise, the demographic will be more family groups of every age.  We’ve been on two HAL New Years cruises in a row; 2019 included teens 14 and 18 in a family group of nine.  The teens had a good time.  They always had the option of dining with the rest of us in the MDR or not, and usually chose to change for dinner in the MDR.  You’ll have a great time!