Camp Ocean Carnival questions

Teibban

Hi everyone,

New to Carnival here but not new to cruising. I have a few questions about camp ocean carnival:

1- Are they strict on the age group? My 2 kids will be 8 and 11 and would prefer to be together.

2- On NCL, they had periods of ''free time'' where all groups were mixed and playing together. Is there something like this on Carnival.

3- Anyone ever notice any of the camp staff speaking french? As we are in Canada (province of Quebec), our native language is French. Kids know a little bit of English but not enough to understand all requests for activities.

We will be cruising on the Breeze departing on February 29th, 2020 and if someone has a program for the camp, that would be helpful.

Thanks all

Jonathan

4 minutes ago, Teibban said:

1- Are they strict on the age group? My 2 kids will be 8 and 11 and would prefer to be together.

It depends on the circumstance. Doesn't hurt to ask.

5 minutes ago, Teibban said:

3- Anyone ever notice any of the camp staff speaking french? As we are in Canada (province of Quebec), our native language is French. Kids know a little bit of English but not enough to understand all requests for activities.

It depends on if the the Camp Ocean staff speak French. I personally do not recall anyone speaking French in the kids club. 

Based on our experience last month they are very strict about age... they wouldn't let my grandson a month away from 11 years old spend time in the next level up with his friends... made for a very sad little boy!

And just one point, jbethel11- il ne sait pas parce qu'il n'a pas d'enfants qui parlent Français! Ce n'est pas de l'age...

(sorry, couldn't resist the chance to see if I actually remember my French!)

Edited by Shaded Lady

31 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

il ne sait pas parce qu'il n'a pas d'enfants qui parlent Français! Ce n'est pas de l'age

Haha, I took french for like 6 weeks in 4th grade! Thank the lord for google translate 😂

¡Pero, yo sé español , sin una traductora, como Google Translate!

15 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Haha, I took french for like 6 weeks in 4th grade! Thank the lord for google translate 😂

¡Pero, yo sé español , sin una traductora, como Google Translate!

LOL- I'll cry Uncle! I took French for over 10 years, including university, but my Spanish? No es mi mejor!

But back to the OP, don't be surprised if Camp Ocean keeps your little ones in separate groups, but I figure, if you don't ask, the answer will ALWAYS be no, so it doesn't hurt to ask when you register them onboard!

• Haha 1

the 8 and 11 year old groups do have mixed time together at times, other times they will be separated. 

As for the French, it all depends on the counselors on the ship, we've had a very wide variety of nationalities but most have been primary English speakers (Australia, South Africa, UK, Canada, US are ones that come to mind) 

They didn't let my boys stay together (we asked) last year and doubt they will on the breeze when we sail her in august. When you get the programs, there are a number of free times throughout the day where the groups co-mingle. It did come up where one had a magic show and the other had a dance party that they were each jealous about, but they saw each other enough and made new friends enough as well. 

Our counselors seemed to be mostly from England, Canada and Australia. You may get lucky. 

On Fascination my daughter was allowed to stay in younger group with her friends. On the Dream they wouldn't let the youngest girl who was almost of age- move up. Really depends on how crowded ship is I would guess and who the counselors are. I would ask.