Bermuda...Questions....

Nessa1dc

We will be sailing the Grandeur on August 31st going to Bermuda.  We have never been.  We found the excursions to be a bit pricey, so we will "do our own tour" excursion.

I would appreciate any and all advice.

1.  What is close to the port that is easily accessible too?  (We are not adventurous)...we don't want to be too far from the port.  Museums, Aquariums, etc.  Costs?

2.  Our ship is docked overnight...what time do we have to be on the ship?  How does it work.

Thank you all in advance.

Hello Nessa1dc!

you will be docking at the Royal Naval Dockyard. There is lots of things to do right off the ship and a short walk away. There are shops, craft market, a national museum, restaurants. There is a man made beach as well (Snorkel Park) that has an entrance fee and you can snorkel, paddle board etc. there. On Monday night they have a bonfire party.

You can use US $ and it is 1:1 to the Bermudian dollar. There is a visitor center at the dockyards that can help with booking excursions if you decide to do one. The sunset catamarans are great!

http://dockyardbermuda.com/

There is the beautiful Horseshoe Bay Beach (blue water, pink sand) about 25 minutes away by taxi (best if you have 4 people) or shared mini bus ($7 pp, cash only). At the beach, there are showers and a place to buy food. 

re: time to be on ship, do you mean while you docked there or the day you depart? If you are there overnight I don't believe there is a curfew to be back on board. The day you leave probably have to be on board an hour before you depart.

you will love Bermuda! People are very friendly.

2 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

so we will "do our own tour" excursion

Bermuda is an extremely easy island to do on your own and tours/excursions are not necessary especially given the short amount of time you'll have there. It is totally unlike a lot of islands in the Caribbean-- its very clean, very safe, and easy to get around. 

I would highly recommend getting out of the Dockyard area for at least part of your time there to see a bit of the island thats not developed expressly for tourists. Whether thats a quick trip over to Horseshoe Bay or a quick ferry to Hamilton or St Georges. The island isn't large and nothing from end to end would be very adventurous-- just comes down to how you want to spend your time there. 

Enjoy Bermuda. We have been there several times.  You can take a ferry to St. George's, have some lunch, wander around, take a bus to Hamilton and then a ferry back to dockyard.  Ferry passes available at dockyards. You should be able to get maps and schedules on line or at dockyards. Easy to get around.  Lots to see and do.

Hello,

Like others have said, Bermuda is very easy to navigate and since you're there overnight, you can feel free to explore the island without worrying about rushing back to the ship.

If you have full day there (you probably do), I would use that day to go up to St. George's via ferry and then maybe take a bus to Hamilton and then take a ferry back to the Dockyard.

The Dockyard area is okay, but it's "touristy" and Bermuda has so much more to offer. Also, there are several tour operators right in the Dockyard so if you want to take a tour/excursion, I'd book through them, rather than through the cruise line. You'll probably end up saving between 20%-40%.

If you like beaches, I'd recommend Horseshoe Bay. You can get there by a mini bus for around $8 each way per person. (Public buses are an option as well.) There is a beach in the Dockyard called snorkel park. It's man made and there is a charge to get in, but it's a decent option if you REALLY don't want to leave the dockyard. 

29 minutes ago, ADH912 said:

If you like beaches, I'd recommend Horseshoe Bay. You can get there by a mini bus for around $8 each way per person. (Public buses are an option as well.) There is a beach in the Dockyard called snorkel park. It's man made and there is a charge to get in, but it's a decent option if you REALLY don't want to leave the dockyard. 

The minibuses to beautiful Horseshoe Bay are $7 each way. Snorkel Park was a garbage dump that was filled in to make a beach. Anyone who goes there should wear water shoes as there have been reports of cut feet from broken glass. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 7/30/2019 at 1:44 PM, bboop51 said:

We booked after the $18 snafu.   I can't fret about it.  I would be unhappy if  I had to take the entire booze package when I honestly can't imbibe.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, SuiteLady said:

Yes, I was in the same situation as I wanted beverage package but my mother is fine with what the ship provides....they told me that she needed to at least get the refreshment package, which she would not have gotten her monies worth.  Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was one of the lucky ones that snagged the beverage package for $18/day!  Bought for both of us, cheaper than the refreshment package- problem solved for this upcoming cruise!  😉

On 8/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, ADH912 said:

Hello,

Like others have said, Bermuda is very easy to navigate and since you're there overnight, you can feel free to explore the island without worrying about rushing back to the ship.

If you have full day there (you probably do), I would use that day to go up to St. George's via ferry and then maybe take a bus to Hamilton and then take a ferry back to the Dockyard.

The Dockyard area is okay, but it's "touristy" and Bermuda has so much more to offer. Also, there are several tour operators right in the Dockyard so if you want to take a tour/excursion, I'd book through them, rather than through the cruise line. You'll probably end up saving between 20%-40%.

Would love to go to Horseshoe bay, after you take a can there, is it a long walk 

I am going with my mom and she loves the beach but really cant walk very well

59 minutes ago, dak1960 said:

Would love to go to Horseshoe bay, after you take a can there, is it a long walk 

I am going with my mom and she loves the beach but really cant walk very well

Both the taxis and private minibuses drop off and pick up at the bottom of the hill close to the beach. Not much walking. That part of the beach will be the most crowded though as the facilities and concession is there.