Deployment 2021-22 booking season begins

Bayley: 'Contingency Plans' In Place for Spectrum

February 04, 2020

Spectrum of the Seas

Royal Caribbean International is evaluating plans for redeploying the Spectrum of the Seas due to the coronavirus outbreak in China, where Royal Caribbean's newest ship is deployed year-round.

"We have contingency plans for all of our ships deployed globally as part of our overall planning process," said Michael Bayley, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, speaking on the company's 2019 fourth quarter and full year earnings call on Tuesday.

As far as the Spectrum, Bayley said the company had plans in place, but it was difficult to understand what was happening in China at the moment. 

"We can redeploy regionally or outside the region," Bayley commented, declining to elaborate citing a competitive environment. 

The ship currently sits docked in Busan, South Korea, with crew onboard.

16 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Quantum class is not able to dock in Seward (and Ketchikan), too big....

Im not so sure, the NCL Bliss docks in Ketchikan and she's 167k tons, basically the same as the Quantum Class. Unless the Bliss tenders???? 

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Well from some of the bookings Quantum is in Victoria Canada it’s there next year .

OK, but radiance is a whole different ship.  People who are booked on radiance would be furious if royal replaced her with quantum.  For many Alaska is a trip of a lifetime.  You can't just change ports and. Itinerary and ship class and expect anyone to bee happy.  Quantum could go to Alaska, but possibly as an extra ship.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Well from some of the bookings Quantum is in Victoria Canada it’s there next year .

11 minutes ago, MichellePerth said:

OK, but radiance is a whole different ship.  People who are booked on radiance would be furious if royal replaced her with quantum.  For many Alaska is a trip of a lifetime.  You can't just change ports and. Itinerary and ship class and expect anyone to bee happy.  Quantum could go to Alaska, but possibly as an extra ship.  

Next year Radiance is doing the North / south route that Quantum cannot do. 

The Serenade is doing the round trip Vancouver.

Either  Quantum gets added as an extra ship

or 

Serenade rakes over the North / South route and Quantum does the round trip Vancouver leaving Radiance down under.  Easy enough to swap out passengers from Radiance to Serenade   as they are basically identical then move people from Serenade to Quantum.  

On 2/5/2020 at 4:40 AM, Chiliburn said:

I think send spectrum to Singapore.

send Quantum to Alaska in place of radiance ( it’s going to Alaska next year anyway)

leave radiance and voyager in Australia all year

It is doubtful that Royal would leave Radiance in Australia year round.  It is a perfect ship for the Alaska run and has had much success there for the past several years.  Actually, since it came out of the shipyard. So successful, in fact, that Royal has added Serenade to its Alaska itineraries.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:16 AM, Chiliburn said:

That’s a good idea.

Doesn’t voyager go to LA in June.

That just leaves radiance and serenade is coming into the picture too.

Voyager is rumored to be in LA in summer, 2021, doing 3- and 4-night sailings out of San Pedro.  There has been no official announcement.

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Well I’m thinking Quantum could do the same run for the coming season and leave radiance in Australia 

(See my post above)

• Like 1

I have a hard time seeing a Quantum class ship home porting in Vancouver.  The clearance on the Lion's Gate Bridge requires extreme low tide to get in and out, and while this is manageable for a couple repositioning sailings each year, it would be a challenge to have to work around on a weekly basis.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:56 PM, whitshel said:

Im not so sure, the NCL Bliss docks in Ketchikan and she's 167k tons, basically the same as the Quantum Class. Unless the Bliss tenders???? 

I would think it would be very tough to tender in Ketchikan...it's a very narrow passage way through there.  But not sure if any ships do that.  Have never seen it yet.  

On 2/6/2020 at 12:59 AM, Chiliburn said:

Well I’m thinking Quantum could do the same run for the coming season and leave radiance in Australia 

Radiance does one way north/southbound Seward/Vancouver.  Ovation (and now Serenade) does round trips.  

And no...IMHO I would not want to leave Radiance in Australia.  Love the one way trips in Alaska versus round trip...so much more to see.  ..

8 hours ago, timf2001 said:

I have a hard time seeing a Quantum class ship home porting in Vancouver.  The clearance on the Lion's Gate Bridge requires extreme low tide to get in and out, and while this is manageable for a couple repositioning sailings each year, it would be a challenge to have to work around on a weekly basis.

Ovation is in Seattle for round trip Alaska runs.  

Have finally given up on seeing a westbound Fall TA cruise posted that hits Greenland/Iceland in 2021.  Have booked Jewel B2B  while here on Vision that goes there round trip from Amsterdam in August 2021.  Next cruise lady was quite doubtful to see that TA as well.  

Edited by island lady

34 minutes ago, island lady said:

Have finally given up on seeing a westbound Fall TA cruise posted that hits Greenland/Iceland in 2021.    

That itinerary is on my bucket list and was hoping to do it in a few years as a retirement celebration.....

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 9:50 PM, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Royal clearly sees the potential for profit maximization by offering more 3/4/5 night cruises 

If Royal does see the profitability of shorter cruises, then I wish they would offer more shorter AFFORDABLE cruises from Europe.  This year the only one offered is over mid term break in Autumn/Fall on Anthem from Southampton and it was starting at £750 ($970) pps for 5 nights! 

I know that in the past RCI had issues with the shorter cruises leaving from Southampton with them becoming Booze Cruises and they withdrew the Deluxe Drinks package for sailing less than 6 nights from Southampton. However if they offered shorter sailings from Barcelona, Rome or Venice, I would be there like a shot!

• Like 1

For the current Corona Virus situation Spectrum of the Seas is apparently due in Manila 12 February. From here I suspect she will head towards Singapore then head to Europe with no passengers. I think while Royal has a chance to get Spectrum/Quantum out of Asia they will. Australia I think is too close to Asia. 

Voyager will stay in Australia for the OZ Winter or go to West Coast USA for the USA Summer. 

Quantum/Spectrum  will work the Voyager cruises in May from Singapore. 

My Predictions. 

1 hour ago, springaussie said:

For the current Corona Virus situation Spectrum of the Seas is apparently due in Manila 12 February. From here I suspect she will head towards Singapore then head to Europe with no passengers. I think while Royal has a chance to get Spectrum/Quantum out of Asia they will. Australia I think is too close to Asia. 

Voyager will stay in Australia for the OZ Winter or go to West Coast USA for the USA Summer. 

My Predictions. 

I think it's a matter of time before Singapore closes its port as well. Maybe not in the next week, but sometime soon. 

11 hours ago, springaussie said:

My Predictions. 

This is my prediction also. Spectrum will end up in either Europe or West Coast.

• Like 1