Deployment 2021-22 booking season begins

5 hours ago, wl2cruise said:

Possible but I'm not holding my breath. I think she will be at a huge disadvantage against NCL and Carnival but that all depends on what itienary she does.

As said many times on here Royal never seemed to, has or wanted compete with Carnival/NCL over West Coast. Royal ships sail over 110% Capacity in other locations. Now me, I'd take a Radiance Class ship over any NCL or Carnival. Families inc mine like the Amusement Parks at Sea, Oasis/Quantum Classes included, but still enough of us like the mid-sized Radiance Class ships...

22 minutes ago, wl2cruise said:

Spectrum

I think that they will replace Spectrum with Wonder for our cruise to Japan out of Shanghai. Now I wonder if the itinerary will be the same. 
I am disappointed because I wanted to try a Quantum class ship. We’ll see what they come up with. 

On 1/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, Chiliburn said:

It was on royal Caribbean blog about 8 months ago.

Someone posted a link to a site that broke down corporate revenue and it broke down Royal Caribbean revenues.

Ships ,before cruise,onboard.

And the pacific was the most dynamic.

I found some 2018 revenue data.   It is here: https://cruisemarketwatch.com/ship-revenue/

Select the corporate entity in the drop down box. 

Here's the revenue figures for the ships that home-ported in Sydney for the southern summers: 

Ovation: $444m (higher than Allure $423m, Oasis $404m, Anthem $371m and Quantum $366m).  

Radiance $257m (higher than Indy $256m, Liberty $245m and much more than the other Radiance class ships). 

Explorer $318m (higher than all other Voyager class ships).  In Australia only 2018/2019? 

Voyager $234m (higher than all the remaining Voyager class ships).  

Celebrity Solstice tops the revenue figures for that brand with $367m.   

Based on these figures, it's no surprise that Royal is ramping up capacity in Australia and Alaska.  This combination is a gold mine.  Bring on Quantum.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

I found some 2018 revenue data.   It is here: https://cruisemarketwatch.com/ship-revenue/

Here's the revenue figures for the ships that home-ported in Sydney for the southern summers: 

Ovation: $444m (higher than Allure $423m, Oasis $404m, Anthem $371m and Quantum $366m).  

Radiance $257m (higher than Indy $256m, Liberty $245m and much more than the other Radiance class ships). 

Explorer $318m (higher than all other Voyager class ships).  In Australia only 2018/2019? 

Based on these figures, it's no surprise that Royal is ramping up capacity in Australia and Alaska.  This combination is a gold mine.  Bring on Quantum.  

They could easily sell out 3 or 4 Australian circumnavigations per year at high rates.

18 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Yeah that’s it .

Harmony was the biggest cash cow.

All the Australian ships in their class where the most profitable.

Just now, MichellePerth said:

They could easily sell out 3 or 4 Australian circumnavigations per year at high rates.

I agree.   Also, they don't need to organise turnaround slots in Sydney OPT for the month it takes to do the circuit.  Absolute no brainer.   Two from Sydney, one from Brisbane and one from Melbourne (if they deploy Serenade there as I think is likely). 

We did the northern half on Radiance before it became expensive.  Great cruise and we would do it again, and we'd also do the southern half.  

Ovation is doing quite a few runs that take in NZ north island and then to Noumea this season.

I’m thinking one quantum will be doing that run with the new island and the other will be  just doing NZ.

We wanted to do NZ this season on Ovation but it’s pretty well booked out.It’s very popular.

12 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

I agree.   Also, they don't need to organise turnaround slots in Sydney OPT for the month it takes to do the circuit.  Absolute no brainer.   Two from Sydney, one from Brisbane and one from Melbourne (if they deploy Serenade there as I think is likely). 

We did the northern half on Radiance before it became expensive.  Great cruise and we would do it again, and we'd also do the southern half.  

I'm happy to be completing my circumnavigation on radiance by doing the bottom half next month. I would be thrilled to have more Australian port visits, specially regional ones.  I can't be alone in that thought process.  Apparently Broome is one of the most wanted ports on the world, both by domestic and international passengers.  They've apparently fixed the problem that caused most cruise visits to be cancelled.  Adding that port and maybe another Indonesian port would really entice bookings, at least on the top half. 

23 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yeah that’s it .

Harmony was the biggest cash cow.

All the Australian ships in their class where the most profitable.

Not to split hairs, but I never assume larger revenues mean more profits.  I would think they'd burn more fuel due to longer runs and although they undoubtedly sell more grog in oz, the beverage packages are similar pricing.  They probably make less profit margin  on aussies on beverage packsges. But particularly the fuel consumption makes me speculate that higher revenue may not necessarily translate into higher profits.  

2 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

You do realize that these numbers are just educated guesses that an outside company has done as Royal does not release individual ship data on any of its financial reports.  They don’t even break things down between their brands. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

Symphony only had a partial year in 2018.  I suspect it's 2019 numbers will exceed Harmony.

Royal still makes the most money in the Caribbean.  Oasis class and turn and burn revenue generators.  Less fuel per passenger, economies of scale.  If Oz was a cash cow that's where they would be placing their ships, more and more of them.  Instead China is the emerging market where they are putting most of their new metal.     PDCC is bringing in a lot of new revenue even if some folks here on CC do or don't like it.  2020 will be it's first full revenue year so it will be a while before it's full impact is known.  

Don't get me wrong, Royal makes money in Oz or they would pull out.  

Using that same cruisemarketwatch.com site, passengers by origin:

https://cruisemarketwatch.com/passenger-origins/

North America 14.2M

Australia/New Zealand 1.4M

Europe and Asia both individually exceed Australia.  That was before Spectrum went to Asia.

Edited by twangster

8 hours ago, MichellePerth said:

Not to split hairs, but I never assume larger revenues mean more profits.  I would think they'd burn more fuel due to longer runs and although they undoubtedly sell more grog in oz, the beverage packages are similar pricing.  They probably make less profit margin  on aussies on beverage packsges. But particularly the fuel consumption makes me speculate that higher revenue may not necessarily translate into higher profits.  

Agree, highest Cruise expense...Fuel. Now that hhalf Royal ships can sit at private Island lowers cost, along with hundred extra to purchase equals more profit

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal still makes the most money in the Caribbean.  Oasis class and turn and burn revenue generators.  Less fuel per passenger, economies of scale.  If Oz was a cash cow that's where they would be placing their ships, more and more of them.  Instead China is the emerging market where they are putting most of their new metal.     PDCC is bringing in a lot of new revenue even if some folks here on CC do or don't like it.  2020 will be it's first full revenue year so it will be a while before it's full impact is known.  

Don't get me wrong, Royal makes money in Oz or they would pull out.  

Just adding that there is a capacity constraint in Sydney OPT preventing the addition of more ships over the season.  To increase capacity the cruise lines are deploying llarger ships here rather than more ships.   Apparently Sydney OPT can not accommodate Oasis class either.  

A third cruise terminal is at least several years away and the cruise lines are vocal about the issue. 

16 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Just adding that there is a capacity constraint in Sydney OPT preventing the addition of more ships over the season.  To increase capacity the cruise lines are deploying llarger ships here rather than more ships.   Apparently Sydney OPT can not accommodate Oasis class either.  

A third cruise terminal is at least several years away and the cruise lines are vocal about the issue. 

No doubt.  However the region also struggles with a lack of destinations.  Even if all cruise lines added more ships and the Sydney area could take them all they would do the same itineraries.    There are a couple of U.S. home ports that suffer from this same geographic limitation.  How many ships can the region support all doing the same itinerary on different ships a few days apart?

New cruisers where the growth potential remains the largest want different ports of call.  Repeat cruisers are significant but they can't carry the industry by themselves and they want new shows, not new ports.

14 hours ago, MichellePerth said:

Wonder should be in Asia around that time. 

That’s what I am thinking too. That they change my existing booking on the Spectrum to the new Wonder of the Seas to Japan on 5/30/2020. 
We (and my group of 21 people) booked the first week the itinerary came out. The prices were unbelievable good. I will have to wait and see what Royal will change is to, assuming that is what this code Red is referring too. 

Edited by Florida_cruisers

3 hours ago, twangster said:

No doubt.  However the region also struggles with a lack of destinations.  Even if all cruise lines added more ships and the Sydney area could take them all they would do the same itineraries.    There are a couple of U.S. home ports that suffer from this same geographic limitation.  How many ships can the region support all doing the same itinerary on different ships a few days apart?

I agree it can't grow without bound.  

There are plenty of destinations in the region but most involve a couple of sea days each way.   Aussie employees all receive 4 weeks paid annual leave and longer cruises are more common as you may be aware.  

Lelani adds another call and Royal hasn't even been to PNG or the Solomon islands yet.  

1 hour ago, geoff2802 said:

Lelani adds another call and Royal hasn't even been to PNG or the Solomon islands yet.  

From what I've read PNG does not have very glamorous ports, but I would want to see Port Morsby and Rabaul out of historical (WWII) interest.  Same with the Solomons, not good ports but would love to see Henderson Field.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, mugtech said:

From what I've read PNG does not have very glamorous ports, but I would want to see Port Morsby and Rabaul out of historical (WWII) interest.  Same with the Solomons, not good ports but would love to see Henderson Field.

Yes, good WWII history there. 

There is also good snorkelling and diving around PNG.  I'm hoping Royal does some cruises there from Brisbane.  Princess and P&O have been doing it for years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Those not aware Royal has been still adding Cruises last 3 weeks. Last 2 weeks been multiple Jewel sailings inc Caribbean, couple Trans-Atlantic's one last week for Nov2020, one last nite of Mar2021...

Did you mean Nov 2021 and Mar 2022? If so, for which ship?

2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Did you mean Nov 2021 and Mar 2022? If so, for which ship?

Jewel, nope those 2 are TA for 2020Nov, Mar2021. Just released, change from original deployment. They've added few more Cruises, ships I'm not watching so not sure which