Deployment 2021-22 booking season begins

20 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Good Question.

I have thinking the same thing.

It’s a long way through the seuz to New York.

Ovation is making to much money in the pacific,I think I read somewhere it’s the 2nd biggest moneymaker.

Its going nowhere.

Edited by Chiliburn

6 hours ago, kccrzr said:

Radiance Vancouver to Hawaii Sept 2021 is available for booking. 

Nevermind!  Just saw someone else posted earlier 🙂

Radiance to Hawaii might be available to book for 2021, but prices are absurdly high  compared to when Serenade to Hawaii for 2020 was released last year. We booked Serenade’s 11 night to Hawaii in a balcony cabin for 2020 for less money than an inside cabin is going for on 2021’s 10 day sailing. Hopefully prices settle down in the next week or so! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Good Question.

Ovation is only 600 gross tons more than Norwegian Bliss, which does the Panama Canal often.  Would appear Ovation could fit through the new locks.

47 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Could go around Cape Horn. 

Yes,.  I was about to post the same.  

Would spend some time on West coast and Mexico and then round the Horn in the southern summer.   All it does is replace one Q class with another in NJ and Sydney.  Hard to see the motivation really.  

The dares for Ovation's last Alaska cruise and first Sydney cruise (as per Sydney port calendar) line up correctly.  I think Ovation will return to Sydney.

It's the anticipated second Q class ship for Sydney that is less certain.  Just guesses.

Edited by geoff2802

9 hours ago, mugtech said:

NCL Joy goes through the new locks, so perhaps a Quantum class ship would also fit.

This is only true because NCL Joy was specifically designed to go through the new locks. Carnival Panorama is around the same size as the NCL Joy and Ovation of the Seas, but must go around Cape Horn because it wasn't designed to fit through the Panama Canal since the lifeboats extend too far out from the ship. Also, I haven't heard of any Quantum class ship going through the Panama Canal, since Ovation did a TP cruise and never hit the East Coast or the Caribbean.

34 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

This is only true because NCL Joy was specifically designed to go through the new locks. Carnival Panorama is around the same size as the NCL Joy and Ovation of the Seas, but must go around Cape Horn because it wasn't designed to fit through the Panama Canal since the lifeboats extend too far out from the ship. Also, I haven't heard of any Quantum class ship going through the Panama Canal, since Ovation did a TP cruise and never hit the East Coast or the Caribbean.

The issue may be the lifeboats.  Without mules guiding the ships in the new locks, anything hanging over the side below a certain height can hit the lock walls at the lowest level.  If the lifeboats hang over the sides, that can be a problem.

Roy 

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The issue may be the lifeboats.  Without mules guiding the ships in the new locks, anything hanging over the side below a certain height can hit the lock walls at the lowest level.  If the lifeboats hang over the sides, that can be a problem.

Roy 

Okay, what buffoon did away with the mules?

16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

If so how would ovation get to New York, I don’t think it would go through the Panama Canal. 

16 hours ago, mugtech said:

NCL Joy goes through the new locks, so perhaps a Quantum class ship would also fit.

15 hours ago, springaussie said:

Good Question.

In 2014 on Quantum's 1st Caribbean sailing in the bridge control room during the All Access Tour, I posted here on CC within in my review a photo of a full sheet based on Panama Canal measurements for the ship. I personally believe there's no doubt she can get through the new locks, even with the lifeboat issue as they are "inset" from the hull.... I believe Q Class is same beam at waterline as NCL Bliss/Joy. After many Panama Canal threads on this forum, with experienced posters like ChengP and BillB48 (who have sailed through the Canal) sharing what they think, the only thing I believed stopping a Q Class ship was the height of the Bridge of Americas on the Pacific side.

I think now that has also been answered, as Ovation went under the Lion's gate bridge in Vancouver with ease (lowest tide and funnels retracted)... Lion's Gate is almost an exact twin to the BoA.

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Good point there. If not the same beam, then very close as they were both built in the same Shipyard and had to go through those tight locks on the Ems River.

Do you know how many ships at a time can be build at Meyer Turku?

24 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Do you know how many ships at a time can be build at Meyer Turku?

Do you mean Mayer Werft at Pappenburg where Ovation was built? If so, in Hall 6, One and a half (or two thirds). And then a small to mid size ship can be built in Hall 5. A lot of the small to mid side Aida ships were built in Hall 5. 

I believe Mayer Turku has one main big dock. So one ship is built in that dock until it's floated out while portions of a next ship are assembled outside the dock. When the ship is the dock is floated out the next in line will have is blocks put into place and so on.   

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

22 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Do you mean Mayer Werft at Pappenburg where Ovation was built? If so, in Hall 6, One and a half (or two thirds). And then a small to mid size ship can be built in Hall 5. A lot of the small to mid side Aida ships were built in Hall 5. 

I believe Mayer Turku has one main big dock. So one ship is built in that dock until it's floated out while portions of a next ship are assembled outside the dock. When the ship is the dock is floated out the next in line will have is blocks put into place and so on.   

Oh! I did not know Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku were completely different shipyards. 

We were waiting for Ovation in Sept. 2021 Vancouver to Hawaii trip and according RCI Ovation will go from China or somewhere in that area to Seattle with no cruise to Hawaii.  They did say that all schedules will be out by Dec. so maybe they will change their mind but not sounding good.