Xcaret, Xelha or something else with 5 and 7 yo?

Eli_6

I have been to Xel-ha twice (once off a cruise when I was 14 and once about 11 years ago when I was in Mexico) and really enjoyed it, but I can imagine it would take at least an hour or more from Cozumel to get there.  I have never been to Xcaret and it seems people either love it or hate it.  

Last time I was in Cozumel I did the champagne catamaran and loved it...that's about my speed, but 5 and 7 year old boys will be with me this time. The younger one is really into animals so Xcaret theoretically looks amazing, but the reviews also say it can be crowded and the river was dirty.. Generally speaking, I am not a big fan of big crowds or dirty places and would rather pay extra to avoid either of the aforementioned. Xel-ha was not dirty at all, but it WAS 11 years ago...

There appears that there will be 3 other boats in port when we are there and 3 of the four of us will be Carnival.

3 ships is a very slow day for Cozumel.

Look at Chankanaab marine park, with sea lion and dolphin shows, a nice beach, small pool, nature trails, etc. Adult admission is about $20 each and a taxi each way will run about 12+

• Like 2

I would second JohninDC's suggestion.   It would be much cheaper and less of a hassle to go to Chankanaab.  If your kids really like animals, after you are done at Chankanaab, you could have your taxi take you to the Cozumel Humane Society to cuddle some of the kittens or walk some of the dogs.   

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be in Cozumel on Friday, Sept. 6 from 8-5. It'll be me, hubby and our 7 and 9-year-old kiddos. I've narrowed our search down to Xel-Ha, XPlor, Chankanaab and Secret River--we're cruising NCL and would book through them. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Is there something we should consider that I haven't thought of? We were in Cozumel last year and booked a fantastic snorkel/ beach day, but it's not available this year. FYI- kids love animals and have zip-lined some, but aren't super-crazy thrill-seekers. Thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, MelMazz said:

We'll be in Cozumel on Friday, Sept. 6 from 8-5. It'll be me, hubby and our 7 and 9-year-old kiddos. I've narrowed our search down to Xel-Ha, XPlor, Chankanaab and Secret River--we're cruising NCL and would book through them. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Is there something we should consider that I haven't thought of? We were in Cozumel last year and booked a fantastic snorkel/ beach day, but it's not available this year. FYI- kids love animals and have zip-lined some, but aren't super-crazy thrill-seekers. Thanks! :) 

Again  as others have said,  Chankanaab would be your best bet.

For just a beach with water toys and small pool for kids, check Playa Mia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MelMazz said:

We'll be in Cozumel on Friday, Sept. 6 from 8-5. It'll be me, hubby and our 7 and 9-year-old kiddos. I've narrowed our search down to Xel-Ha, XPlor, Chankanaab and Secret River--we're cruising NCL and would book through them. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Is there something we should consider that I haven't thought of? We were in Cozumel last year and booked a fantastic snorkel/ beach day, but it's not available this year. FYI- kids love animals and have zip-lined some, but aren't super-crazy thrill-seekers. Thanks! 🙂

As excellent as the mainland parks are I would save them for a mainland vacation, less transportation hassle and longer at the site.

i would also recommend Chankanaab. We recently had an excellent day with a 7 year old. He did the Dolphin Encounter with his mum but we were considering the kids xterm package as an addition but ran out of time after snorkeling and free activities and pool. There is also laser tag.

https://www.xtremap.com/

Communications pre-cruise were excellent if you have any questions.

Easy transport there and back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...