11:00AM flight too early?

ENROSE

Insignia returns to Miami port at 7:00AM. Our flight is at 11:00AM on American. What time does the ship starts disembarkation? It’s our first time with Oceania so we don’t know the ship’s  operating procedures. 

Dovwe we have enough time to catch our flight?

We did this last year. Waiting for customs to clear us took a long time. Scheduled disembarkation was like 8 or 8:30, but we didn’t get close to the gangway until after 10. I think you might be cutting it close.

Donna

1 hour ago, ENROSE said:

Insignia returns to Miami port at 7:00AM. Our flight is at 11:00AM on American. What time does the ship starts disembarkation? It’s our first time with Oceania so we don’t know the ship’s  operating procedures. 

Dovwe we have enough time to catch our flight?

Did YOU book this or did someone else?  What would it cost to reschedule to either later in the day or the following day?  I would be very uncomfortable with that little connection.

I guess it will depend... on the day. We came to Miami on the Regatta in April. Disembarkation started around 8 am. We tried to be among the first group of people to leave the ship, so the line for the customs wasn’t long. Our luggage was already waiting for us. Called an Uber and where off to the airport fast. We had a flight at 11:30 am and arrived at the airport with a spare time to go to the lounge before the flight.

But again, it might not be that easy if something goes wrong on your disembarkation day. We always check some alternative flights just in case when we book our air tickets.

it  depends on Immigration & how fast they clear the ship

no one gets off until they  give permission

If you have priority check in or BUS class   you may make it through  security in time

I would not book that early for MIA

• Like 1

To paraphrase Dirty Harry - "Do you feel lucky...?"

In addition to the unpredictability of disembarkation in Miami consider that the AA terminal in Miami is a madhouse and the lines can be very long for both check in and security.

TSA pre clearance might help.

Personally, I would not schedule a flight before noon. You might get lucky and get there early but I would prefer that to missing the flight (and ALL that which goes along with missing a flight).

Not necessary related to the disembarkation in Miami, but as we travel often, we have Global Entry and usually TSA pre check as well as Mobile Passport application on the cell phone. The combination of all that helps us a lot to speed up the security lines and border control at the airports all over the world😊.

Thank you very much for all your input. Our flight is already booked and may encounter hefty fine to make a change.

We will try to be in the  first group to leave the ship and carry our luggage on the way out.  

14 minutes ago, ENROSE said:

We will try to be in the  first group to leave the ship and carry our luggage on the way out.

My problem with those early flights is that until the ship is cleared, nobody , not even those toting their own luggage may set a single foot ashore; and it only takes one, you should pardon the expression, "selfish moron"  to  foul things up for everyone.  

Spend your money as you choose, but peace of mind is priceless, particularly at the END of a vacation.

Who needs the angst?

• Like 4

We were on Sirena last November returning to MIA on the Amazon Cruise.  We cleared customs in Puerto Rico, so did not have to do that in MIA.  BUT, Sirena was late in arriving in MIA and then a medical emergency had to be disembarked, so regular disembarkation was delayed by 2 hours.

So things may go smoothly or there may be glitches.  I always opt for a noon or later flight for the added buffer.

Charlotte

17 hours ago, ENROSE said:

Thank you very much for all your input. Our flight is already booked and may encounter hefty fine to make a change.

We disembarked Riviera in Miami in February. We were in the first group off the ship, except for "self disembarkers" who carried their own luggage. We were in the terminal by 8:10; got a porter who grabbed us a taxi. Arrived Miami airport by 8:40 were through security (had TSA pre check) and relaxing at the airline club by 9:20. We had a noon flight, but could have made an 11 easily. HOWEVER, we know we were fortunate and many things can happen which will delay disembarkation. We were comfortable with our noon flight and did not stress at all about making it. The lack of stress was as important to us as what actually happened. The stress of not knowing whether we would make an 11:00 flight would seriously take away from our enjoyment of the cruise. However, people deal with these things differently, so if you are willing to live with your choice, I wish you the best. 

Edited by edgee

44 minutes ago, edgee said:

We disembarked Riviera in Miami in February. We were in the first group off the ship, except for "self disembarkers" who carried their own luggage. We were in the terminal by 8:10; got a porter who grabbed us a taxi. Arrived Miami airport by 8:40 were through security (had TSA pre check) and relaxing at the airline club by 9:20. We had a noon flight, but could have made an 11 easily.

yes it the HOWEVER  that will get you when you least expect it  😉

one year  we did not start embarkation until after 9 am 

then try to get a taxi  we finally got one about 10:30 

Thank goodness we were on AC  the terminal they use is not as busy   say AA & DL   so we made the 12:20 flight  but is was a stressful morning for many

I don't care where we are departing the ship, nowhere would I plan on an 11am flight.  One exception:  if you overnight in that port, then you can leave very early because you've already cleared customs.  That's what we did in Venice last year.

And of course for most of our trips we are not flying home immediately (usually 2-3 days later) so it's not a problem if departure from the ship is delayed.

But when you want to fly out on debarkation day, it's much safer to allow extra time ... even if it means sitting in the airport!  At least you don't risk missing the flight!

Mura

I will be disembarking Sirena on Saturday Feb. 1 and I have 10:00am flight. We will carry our own luggage off and uber to MIA. Our tickets are basic economy and cannot be changed. I'm not too concerned, we have done this before.

37 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I will be disembarking Sirena on Saturday Feb. 1 and I have 10:00am flight. We will carry our own luggage off and uber to MIA. Our tickets are basic economy and cannot be changed. I'm not too concerned, we have done this before.

Good luck - let us know how it worked out.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:05 AM, osandomir said:

Not necessary related to the disembarkation in Miami, but as we travel often, we have Global Entry and usually TSA pre check as well as Mobile Passport application on the cell phone. The combination of all that helps us a lot to speed up the security lines and border control at the airports all over the world😊.

Last two times at the port in Miami they did not have global entry so everyone waited on the same lines which were pretty short.  Still taking a chance with an early flight. 

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Good luck - let us know how it worked out.

We disembarked from Sirena last November and did not get off the ship until 9 (lines were wound around the ship) , through customs fairly quickly  (no Global Entry) and then waited for almost an hour for UBER( contacted them while still on ship)...very glad our flight was not until 2PM.....I wish you best of luck!

We just disembarked from Insignia on Sunday.. we asked for the LATEST  departure possible as we live in Miami and were not in a hurry yet we were still off the ship by 9 am. No lines whatsoever. You could request early departure which was 8 am. Miami airport is just 15 mins away so you would be fine. We did Uber which took 5 mins to get there. Happy travels!