Airfare cost to go to Venice, Italy

sherin65

I will just say this. My wife and I flew from Detroit to Rome and back last month. We purchased Delta's International Business class, Delta One. The lay flat seat beds are well worth it. We were not tired at all, got checked into the hotel and went out exploring the city.

4 hours ago, alidor said:

Zach1213 - I don’t care if you believe me or not but I did and it’s with reputable airlines with only one-stop to Venice in an international city.  The people are ticketed already.   I see on here ALL the time where people think they can get good deals and, maybe they are, but OFTEN I know there can be better prices.   And, this is on major airlines with major routings.

Let's see...there's talk of airlines and routings.  But interestingly, there is no mention whatsoever about these being published fares.  For if they are not published fares, then they are unpublished - aka consolidator or bulk or negotiated.  And that by itself means that they are NOT the same tickets and have different fare rules.  Rules that may or may not be significant.  And if you don't know what those differences are, you are buying a pig in a poke.

There's more to a "good deal" than just the price.  Or are you saying that's the only criteria??

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alidor said:

Zach1213 - I don’t care if you believe me or not but I did and it’s with reputable airlines with only one-stop to Venice in an international city.  The people are ticketed already.   I see on here ALL the time where people think they can get good deals and, maybe they are, but OFTEN I know there can be better prices.   And, this is on major airlines with major routings.

If they are ticketed already (and nobody on here knows who these mythical people are) why not tell us what airline and what routing you secured such a great deal on/with?  You have a anonymous screen name and no one knows where you are so why the big secret of the routing and airlines involved?   Or is it you are just blowing smoke?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TruckerDave said:

If they are ticketed already (and nobody on here knows who these mythical people are) why not tell us what airline and what routing you secured such a great deal on/with?  You have a anonymous screen name and no one knows where you are so why the big secret of the routing and airlines involved?   Or is it you are just blowing smoke?

My suspicion....these are fares being made available to Brazilian travel agents.

Google is your friend.

June 2-June 23 on SAS  via Copenhagen.   $729  

LONG connections   

You  might want message matrixit  or SAS for your specific dates and perhaps better connections.

Edited by iancal

16 hours ago, alidor said:

I see on here ALL the time where people think they can get good deals and, maybe they are, but OFTEN I know there can be better prices.   And, this is on major airlines with major routings.

The fact that it's "major airlines with major routings" doesn't really answer the question. 

16 hours ago, alidor said:

Through a consolidator that I have used for years.   It is very reputable and used by many, many agents.   It is very legit.

And there it is....consolidator ticket.  The consolidator may well be perfectly reputable, but the tickets will still almost certainly have rules and restrictions attached that are different that those of published fares.  Which is fine, assuming the client is fully informed of that.  They are fully informed, right?

9 hours ago, alidor said:

No, I am not going to tell you the routing or airlines involved. 

Why is it such a secret? 

Edited by waterbug123
  • Like 1

This year, like many other years we found  very good pricing for Europe fares 60-70 days out.   Yesterday we booked our Athens/Cyprus and Cyprus/London fares on Aegean when they appeared to be at the 'right' price.   Sixty days out.

We have had a few  bargain price  BA late booking (two weeks out) one ways to Europe from internet agencies.  I always assume that they will be consolidator class tickets ( codes at the end of the alphabet)  similar to what we might get through cruise air.  We are OK with consolidator type tickets depending on the carrier, whether we have lots of time, the routing, and as long as it is not winter, etc.  But we always want to know what we are buying in terms of the conditions and restrictions of the ticket.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iancal said:

But we always want to know what we are buying in terms of the conditions and restrictions of the ticket.

That's the key. Consolidator tickets with different T&Cs can definitely work, and may be worth it. Each person and trip is going to be different. The key point is know what you're getting, and that's the tricky part sometimes, especially if full info isn't known by the traveler.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 9:58 PM, Artisticgirl said:

I am having the same dilemma.  I'm on a Celebrity Constellation cruise leaving June 12, 2020 and I have been looking at airfare on Celebrity flights.   There is a great direct flight from Alitalia for $1099 round trip flying into Rome and leaving out of Venice from Miami.   Problem is there are very few flights listed from Venice on June 22 and the few they have posted are 11:20 in the morning.  I'm trying to figure out how much time is needed  and how I get from the Cruise ship to Venice airport.  I dont think I want to leave that early in the morning.   I thought the $1099 was a pretty good price for direct to Rome.  I am flying out on June 10th as I want to spend June 11th near the Trevi fountain to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary.  I was engaged at the Trevi fountain.   I'm really struggling deciding when the best time to book is and trying to coordinate all the logistics.  UGH, 

From Venice to the airport is pretty easy - a cab or direct bus transfer should be 30 minutes. If you want to take the local bus you will need to take the people mover into Venice (5 mins) then pick up the bus where it drops you off. 

The ship usually docks at 6 so they’ll have you off pretty quick so 11.20 should be fine. 

Sometimes flying to an alternate city can be an opportunity.  A few years ago we booked a cruise from Rome.  . We grabbed an incredibly inexpensive one way flight to Porto, Portugal.  From there we had a low fare to Rome on TAP.  The real benefit for us is that we decided to spend a week in the Porto/Douro Valley area.   We might never have gone there otherwise.    We seldom do return flights.  Usually it is either open jaws or one ways.

The US economy is strong.  Even so, there are still some good prices to be had for Europe flights 30-45 days out from today.

This has been our experience for transpacific and transatlantic flights over the past five or six years.  We have been doing one of each every year. We have never booked more than 90 days out.

It does help if you live near, or can easily get to, an airport where there are many competing airlines for this route(s) business.

Edited by iancal

6 hours ago, iancal said:

The US economy is strong.  Even so, there are still some good prices to be had for Europe flights 30-45 days out from today.

Lots of bargains out there.  Was just reading this morning of flights from Chicago to Barcelona for $299 round trip.  Los Angeles to Beijing for $305.  Las Vegas to Shanghai for under $400.

We do this.  If we are planning a Europe trip in  April/May/June we tend to look at the airfares in mid/late Sept. of the prior year.  For us, that has been a reasonable estimate of what we can expect to pay for the same flight the following September.   Barring any special circumstances.  It is by no means scientific but if the Sept price is in the $700 range we are certainly not going to spring for an $1100 fare for the following  May/June fare nine or ten months out.  We wait it out and periodically watch the fares.

We do something similar for Asia with one exception.....we make certain to red circle Chinese New Year because we know what happens to fares at that time.

Edited by iancal

On 8/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, iancal said:

We do this.  If we are planning a Europe trip in  April/May/June we tend to look at the airfares in mid/late Sept. of the prior year.  For us, that has been a reasonable estimate of what we can expect to pay for the same flight the following September.   Barring any special circumstances.  It is by no means scientific but if the Sept price is in the $700 range we are certainly not going to spring for an $1100 fare for the following  May/June fare nine or ten months out.  We wait it out and periodically watch the fares.

We do something similar for Asia with one exception.....we make certain to red circle Chinese New Year because we know what happens to fares at that time.

This is really good information. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We like to travel off season due to lower ticket prices. For high season I keep monitoring tickets and use Kayak Hacker Fare. When I find the fare I like I'll head over to the airline's website and book it there.  

For instance we booked a LEVEL Flight on Iberia's low cost carrier while the reviews are mixed all we want is to get to BCN nonstop. The one way fare for our B2B Cruise is $280 with seats, meals and checked bags.  The flight from TPA-SJC via San Diego is $148 on Southwest with bags so we did well.

Also if you want a stopover try the Multi City Function to stopover in Europe.   The Kayak Hacker Fare sometimes has you book on two separate tickets so essentially you could fly from your home city to Paris spend a week there and then you can find another ticket Paris-Venice-home. Or just on one reservation with the stopover in Paris.

When you see an airfare that is good then I would book it and not look back. $1000 is very good for high season so if it were me I would look again at the 6 moth mark after conulting with Hopper if it tells you the fare will go down then wait but if Bunny says that it will go up then Hop to it and book it!  I setup a Price monitoring on Hopper and it has saved me money.

Try other airports in your area to see the savings.  For us my #1 requirement is a non stop or one stop flight followed by price and connection times.   I killed two birds with one stone with our nonstop flight. 

Its  best to book with the ariline directly unless the savings is so big and you are willing to deal with the third party for any changes.  CruiseAir is a good choice but just be sure you are getting apples to apples as some airlines only book in Basic Economy hence why going to AA.Com you can chose the regular option.

I always pay more than Basic Economy as its totally worth it to pre pay for everything. I also pay to reserve seats as this to me would hopefulyl help in an oversold situation as those wiht Basic Economy could be the first to be bumped. Also my bag is paid for and I save money doing it online than at the airport and can save time there as well.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:40 PM, Gardyloo said:

There is almost never a big benefit by purchasing airfare when the ticketing window has just opened.  Prices tend to follow a fairly predictable pattern - start high, then fall slowly for several months, then climb through the last three or four months before flight date.  It has to do with the airlines' very sophisticated (and very secret) "revenue management" or "yield management" programs, which take numerous factors into account - competition, historic demand, even the price of fuel - and then revise their pricing day by day, even hour by hour, to ensure that the airline extracts the maximum profit out of every ticket.  

What I would do is start monitoring fares using something like ITA - http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ - and if you see something that you like, go for it and then don't look back.  

For example, if you were booking for early September this year (i.e. 10 months before your trip) you'd be looking at round trip fares on SAS via Copenhagen for around $770, or nonstops on American for just over $1000.  You could even get away as cheaply as $724 on Aer Lingus via Dublin if you were traveling two weeks from now.

Bottom line, early birds don't always get worms.  Sometimes they get cats.

Generally good guidance and agree.  Exception being long-haul overseas flights.  Toured/cruised China/Tibet three years ago and jumped at an early R/T business fare from the US east coast for $3K.  Month prior to travel the same flight was $7K.  It pays to start watching early and understand the trends and prices.  Do that at the moment for R/T to CDG for a 15-day river cruise.  Google.com/flights (same as Matrix - different format) offers trends and brackets for consideration.  Note though that its not all encompassing - some airlines are to included.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

16 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Generally good guidance and agree.  Exception being long-haul overseas flights.  Toured/cruised China/Tibet three years ago and jumped at an early R/T business fare from the US east coast for $3K.  Month prior to travel the same flight was $7K.  It pays to start watching early and understand the trends and prices.  Do that at the moment for R/T to CDG for a 15-day river cruise.  Google.com/flights (same as Matrix - different format) offers trends and brackets for consideration.  Note though that its not all encompassing - some airlines are to included.

Business class tends to follow a different pattern; my (generalized) comments had to do with economy class.

Business fares have much more to do with actual business cycles (i.e. travel for work rather than leisure.)  In the case of business class, demand tends to peak much later in the ticket window as business travelers often don't know when they're going to need to travel, with far more "last minute" bookings then one sees in economy.

For example, transatlantic business class fares tend to be at their lowest when economy fares tend to be at their highest, i.e. mid-summer.  The airlines want to fill the business class seats because vacation time removes actual business flyers; every year around April-May you can see some terrific deals appear in business class between North America and Europe, for travel in, say, July and August.  There are also often sales for mid-winter travel from the US to Europe or Asia, if they take place at slow periods in the business world.  These sales are usually pretty limited in how long they last.

The same factors can be seen for other times and destinations.  If interested, one can lurk on the "premium fare deals" board on Flyertalk to see where's cheap and when.  https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

6 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

Business class tends to follow a different pattern; my (generalized) comments had to do with economy class.

Business fares have much more to do with actual business cycles (i.e. travel for work rather than leisure.)  In the case of business class, demand tends to peak much later in the ticket window as business travelers often don't know when they're going to need to travel, with far more "last minute" bookings then one sees in economy.

For example, transatlantic business class fares tend to be at their lowest when economy fares tend to be at their highest, i.e. mid-summer.  The airlines want to fill the business class seats because vacation time removes actual business flyers; every year around April-May you can see some terrific deals appear in business class between North America and Europe, for travel in, say, July and August.  There are also often sales for mid-winter travel from the US to Europe or Asia, if they take place at slow periods in the business world.  These sales are usually pretty limited in how long they last.

The same factors can be seen for other times and destinations.  If interested, one can lurk on the "premium fare deals" board on Flyertalk to see where's cheap and when.  https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Thanks.  Great gouge!

I am watching Asia pricing now.  Over the past five winters we have paid anywhere for $725 to $1050 CAD for economy to Bangkok.  The lowest fare was our first, booked ten days before our flight date.  The most expensive, had the best routing and was booked about 75 days out.  One year went via the Philippines but did business class because it was a single 17 hour flight.

AIr to Europe still seems very low in the short term.  We fly to Athens in early Sept and home from London in late October.   The  open jaw flights that we booked in early July, for a Sept/Oct are only selling for $100 CAD more than we paid in early July.