Dave’s Live from Zuiderdam Voyage of the Vikings, July 30 – Sept. 3, 2019

I have decided to do a live blog from the Zuiderdam for the 2109 Voyage of the Vikings.  I am aware that sansterre has started a live blog of the cruise as well, and I initially had thought to post on that one.  But, as I was preparing to post about the first day or so, I discovered that the files I had compiled were numerous, and I did not want to clobber sansterre’s blogs with a very large number of my postings.  So, I am doing another blog, as a complementary one to sansterre’s.  We no doubt have different writing styles and different interests, and probably will do different things ashore.

I used to do live blogs for years, but recently shifted to after-cruise reviews, primarily because of the difficulty and time needed to upload images to photoshop and then import to CC.  But, I learned that the new iteration of CC allows me to upload and post directly (once I finally figured out how).  So, I will try a live blog again.  I found on three previous Viking Passage cruises that the internet connectivity was surprisingly good throughout the cruise, and hope for the same this time.  I will catch up if I fall behind at some point.

This is a bucket list cruise for us – we have been working our way through our list since I retired in 2016.   We, like a lot of us onboard now, originally booked the Rotterdam cruises round-trip Boston that included Greenland and Iceland, but nothing in Europe.  When Prinsendam was sold and HAL rearranged the cruise schedules, we were offered a cabin on the Zuiderdam for the VoV, and we leapt at the chance.

Here is a map of our itinerary:

537820436_VoVmap.jpg.45c6126ba668597bcc8a11c460d3064c.jpg

We, like a lot of us onboard, originally booked the Rotterdam cruises round-trip Boston that included Greenland and Iceland, but nothing in Europe.  When Prinsendam was sold and HAL rearranged the cruise schedules, we were offered a cabin on the Zuiderdam for the VoV, and leapt at the chance.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pre-cruise

We flew from Seattle to Boston on Sunday, July 28.   We have visited Boston several times, but it had been a few years since we had done the Freedom Trail, so we thought about following it Monday, but did not make it far before deciding to get out of the heat (it reached 92F/33C that day).  We saw Paul Revere’s statue and the Old North Church, and noticed that the north end was decorated for the celebration of Saint Agrippina this coming weekend:

1569392639_HannoverStreet.jpg.6fb1b4ba8ee9b2468a8a42eba081dda8.jpg

Later, we went to Faneuil Hall …

810093412_FaneuilHall.jpg.2a58813d181f4ceaf6303fdfd60c38cb.jpg

1670341008_FaneuilHall2.jpg.3143e5d24ec7388226c4b2b253335f20.jpg

… and Quincy Market, and did some shopping in a drug store for some essentials for cruise – thing like mouthwash that are easier to buy before boarding than to try to pack in luggage for a flight.  Then we had an early dinner and called it a day.

More later,

Dave

July 30, Embarkation Day

We took a cab to the Flynn cruise terminal (formerly Black Falcon), arriving about 10:30.  Check-in was easy, and we waited in the terminal for a while.  The port had a problem with the chute from the terminal to the ship, and it took until noon to resolve the issue and start boarding.  The upside was that the rooms were ready.  We got aboard in a reasonable time and dropped our carry-ons in the cabin.  DW waited for our bags while I did chores and checked out the ship (and bars).  We are in a verandah cabin on the starboard side, facing the pier, and from our balcony we could see the people working hard to load baggage and stores.  Our bags had not arrived by 3:30, so we went to the Ocean Bar for a welcome abroad drink before the 4:30 boat drill.

By the time of boat drill, it was 95F/35C outside.  We were in the shade at our boat, and were still hot –it must have been worse for those on the port side in direct sunlight.

One of the things in our cabin was the Voyage Planner for the first 10 days.  This is an innovation of the last couple of years that is very handy:

2106774869_VoyagePlanner1.thumb.jpg.7e832d7a589377595893b0f0b5f25961.jpg

1040698756_VoyagePlanner2.thumb.jpg.f8c4365b09c049d8d5b6471595015631.jpg

More later,

Dave

July 30 (Cont.)

There were also various info sheets in the room, or which I gathered in my ramble about the ship.  Here is the sheet that explains the Navigator and how to connect to the internet.  For reference, when I booked an internet package, I was offered 31-day packages at:  Package 1 - $179.99; Package 2 – $259.99; and Package 3 – $329.99.

1058594274_Navigator1.thumb.jpg.194791194bdcb302d7f89e63f82e7242.jpg

2070330863_Navigator2.thumb.jpg.aa2f43971aacdc7d220c6e4580f2401c.jpg

Here is the info sheet on laundry:

1806008002_LaundryPackages.thumb.jpg.993b6e36338e5f0ad0549f0e13c2821b.jpg

I did not copy it, but there was also a note that said, due to high demand, the laundry would accept only one bag per day per stateroom.  We are 5-star Mariners and enjoy free laundry privileges; there are a lot of 4 and 5-star Mariners on board, who no doubt also enjoy the perk.

And, I was given a sheet with info about beverage events for the crossing to Rotterdam portion of the cruise:

481214288_BeverageEvents.thumb.jpg.36de03035ef47661796507e73d01136b.jpg

More Later,

Dave

July 30 (Cont.)

We returned to the cabin after boat drill and found our bags, and unpacked them before our early fixed dining.  I downloaded the dinner menu from the Navigator, and saved it in two files to make it easier to read:

163694611_30Julydinnermenu1.thumb.jpg.120ef8b2902a5df44e09bd46f5b63577.jpg

1160181630_30Julydinnermenu2.thumb.jpg.92b61a035218d5a473452e78adb87291.jpg

I had the Florentine tomato soup, which was excellent – it had a full-bodied taste of fresh tomatoes.  I also had the pork chop, which came with whipped parsnips, carrots, asparagus and onions in a balsamic reduction sauce.   DW had the croquette, over which she raved, and one of her HAL favorites, the stroganoff.

The Navigator also had the dinner menu for the Lido, which I had not seen before.  The Lido featured prime rib:

1450555958_30Julylidodinnermenu.thumb.jpg.61ebfaefecb89f5bf64076fb9e770c27.jpg

As you can see, I had a lot to post just in the first day, which is why I decided not to clobber santerre’s blog and do a separate but complementary blog.

More later,

Dave

30 July lido dinner menu.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Great job, looking forward to your updates, 2 questions, any band in the ocean bar and what about happy hours?

According to today's When and Where (which I will post in full later), at 5 p.m., there is Ballroom Dance Hour (pre-recorded) in the Ocean Bar.  That tells me no live band.  I will also report later from personal observation of the bar made at that time. 😁

Also, happy hours are listed at 4 p.m. in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest, and at 10 p.m. in Billboard Onboard (deck 2).

Dave

Thank you for the amazing amount of info and Bon Voyage !

If you have the opportunity, could you please find out the names of the piano players in Billboard Onbard?

Edited by taxmantoo

Would you please comment on the new job classification of "Cruise and Travel Director"   On our Koningsdam cruise last Oct.-Nov. 2018, they were two different persons.   Hoping that the position is well accepted by all, including the C&TD.