Cruise Critic Community
broberts

Odd Behavior with Post Reference

I just posted a reference to a test post in another thread. It appeared as

image.png.0e41642c290efe16976f8cbdd98a905b.png

This is an actual screen grab of the referenced post

image.png.82910a2f9aaeb5d4babae3d9ef7ed17d.png

I have no idea where the picture came from.

42 minutes ago, broberts said:

I just posted a reference to a test post in another thread. It appeared as

image.png.0e41642c290efe16976f8cbdd98a905b.png

This is an actual screen grab of the referenced post

image.png.82910a2f9aaeb5d4babae3d9ef7ed17d.png

I have no idea where the picture came from.

I don't remember where/when I read it, but apparently the forum gremlins will randomly assign a picture to a link.  That's one reason I change my links to the "old fashioned" kind when the "Your link has been automatically embedded.  Display as a link instead." option shows up.

I've seen it when I post links to roll calls.  Odd pictures show up...  EM

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, twangster said:

No solution to this bug?

May not be considered a bug. 

Edited by broberts

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

May not considered a bug. 

No solution to undesirable "feature"?  :) 

I am going to report this to the software team as a possible bug - they may address it in the next release if they find it to be a bug.  I will let you know if i hear anything

3 hours ago, twangster said:

No solution to undesirable "feature"?  🙂

Its free!

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, twangster said:

No solution to undesirable "feature"?  🙂

Someone linked my Harmony review, and the picture is a close up of Victoria's crotch. You can't make this stuff up. 🤣

Screenshot_20190815-174040_Chrome.thumb.jpg.53c603b4b30630e3e0db219ef610c35c.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Someone linked my Harmony review, and the picture is a close up of Victoria's crotch. You can't make this stuff up. 🤣

Given some of the ads I've been getting lately, that image doesn't surprise me.

1039001736_CCAds.jpeg.961b585a0b89037a79d5cb544d1c05d7.jpeg

The new Cruise Critic.  #NSFW

On 8/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, CC Help Jenn said:

I am going to report this to the software team as a possible bug - they may address it in the next release if they find it to be a bug.  I will let you know if i hear anything

Thanks Jenn. I had not experienced this until yesterday, when I linked one of my own threads in order to help answer someone’s question. When I embedded the link into my comment, it pulled a disgusting picture into the box as well. I quickly deleted what I’d pasted in, did it again and choose the option in the editor to have it appear only as the hyperlink.  I hope whatever this is can be fixed. Thanks. 

@CC Help Jenn  Just elaborating on my comment immediately above, here's the thread that I had initially embedded in a reply to a CC member yesterday.   This time it seems to have shore excursion ads --  from NCL-- in it. Looking at that thread (which I started), this is a graphic from comment 9 in my thread.  This was not my comment or graphic, but this makes it appear as though it was.  (When NCL pays me to advertise for them, I will consider it!  🤣)  It would also be a distraction in the thread into which one might embed it,  Again, I hope this can be fixed, and thanks for your efforts!

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Jenn. I had not experienced this until yesterday, when I linked one of my own threads in order to help answer someone’s question. When I embedded the link into my comment, it pulled a disgusting picture into the box as well. I quickly deleted what I’d pasted in, did it again and choose the option in the editor to have it appear only as the hyperlink.  I hope whatever this is can be fixed. Thanks. 

Can you elaborate - what thread were you linking to?

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

@CC Help Jenn  Just elaborating on my comment immediately above, here's the thread that I had initially embedded in a reply to a CC member yesterday.   This time it seems to have shore excursion ads --  from NCL-- in it. Looking at that thread (which I started), this is a graphic from comment 9 in my thread.  This was not my comment or graphic, but this makes it appear as though it was.  (When NCL pays me to advertise for them, I will consider it!  🤣)  It would also be a distraction in the thread into which one might embed it,  Again, I hope this can be fixed, and thanks for your efforts!

Just double checking - posting from your browser and nothing else odd happened when you were posting?

37 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Just double checking - posting from your browser and nothing else odd happened when you were posting?

Nothing else. Just the usual copy the link from the address bar and paste it into my reply. Thanks for looking into this! 

Posted (edited)

@CC Help Jenn 

If you right click on the top bar of Turtles06 Message.

image.png.fdb54fb403a5a11677e2a95063aa0bb3.png

and open in a new tab it takes you to  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic intentioanl broke the link 2687689-here-are-some-tips-instructions-for-booking-shorex-using-the-50port-shorex-promo/

but if you paste in the whole link it brings in this picture which is hosted on

https://content.invisioncic.com

/j283755/monthly_2019_08/B74D7ED1-29DD-400C-849C-5C6597602AB2.jpeg.2d4aeeeccdb20c4e61127e8f4419be1e.jpeg

(.jpeg removed from tail of link)

these pictures also show up in post #9

B74D7ED1-29DD-400C-849C-5C6597602AB2.jpe

B74D7ED1-29DD-400C-849C-5C6597602AB2.jpe

Edited by AlanF65

On 8/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, CC Help Jenn said:

Hi @CC Help Jenn I just resurrected this thread to see if there's any status report on this issue.  I have recently posted in the Celebrity forum a long review -- with many photos -- of a New England/Canada cruise we just took on the Celebrity Summit.  This morning, someone linked to my thread in her own Roll Call for a similar cruise on the Summit next year.   On that Roll Call, there's a photo showing in the link to my thread that is NOT my photo, but the link makes it appear that it is.  Here's a screen shot of how that link appeared in her Roll Call:

enhance

While there's nothing offensive about that particular photo, it's disconcerting that the site has grabbed a photo that is not mine and inserted it in a link to my own review thread this way, making it appear as though it were mine.   (And the irony is that my very first post on that thread, and many others, contain my own photos, including photos of lobster rolls!) 

Thanks for any help on this.

@CC Help Jenn I was just on another thread in this forum in which someone had mistakenly posted something that belonged on their Roll Call.  As I saw, CC Member Essiesmom had kindly found the OP's Roll Call and posted a link.  As you can see from comment 3 of that thread (first link below), the Roll Call link posted with a graphic that is pretty "off" and not related to the Roll Call.  (I've replicated that in the second link below.)  This is another example of the bizarre and disconcerting insertion of graphics into posted links that is the subject of the thread we are in now.

Oooopsies!

Jenn, about an hour ago I read that thread and checked to see OP's posts. They had reposted correctly on their Roll Call thread so I hid their thread on this forum. And now I am seeing you are using the thread for "show & tell" so I unhid it.

Kat

@CC Help Jenn   

Hi Jenn,

Just wondering if you have any update on a fix to this "glitch" or bug that's inserting graphics into links to other threads posted in a reply.   I find it particularly disconcerting to have a photo that is not mine inserted into a link to a thread that I started, particularly since it makes it appear as though the photo is mine. 

Thanks!

Unfortunately in this case the behavior is not a glitch.  The software picks up an image from the thread and inserts it into the preview when linking.  That is  the intended behavior even if the image used isn't from the OP or relate to the thread in any way.  Since the software is behaving as intended there is nothing for the developer to fix.

One way around this, if you don't like the photo being shown when you paste a link is to not include the post preview.

All of that said, I do have it on our list of changes we would like to see made to the platform in future upgrades and will continue suggesting to the developer.

32 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Unfortunately in this case the behavior is not a glitch.  The software picks up an image from the thread and inserts it into the preview when linking.  That is  the intended behavior even if the image used isn't from the OP or relate to the thread in any way.  Since the software is behaving as intended there is nothing for the developer to fix.

One way around this, if you don't like the photo being shown when you paste a link is to not include the post preview.

All of that said, I do have it on our list of changes we would like to see made to the platform in future upgrades and will continue suggesting to the developer.

Thanks Jenn, I appreciate your reply.  I do know about the workaround.  There are two reasons for not using it. First, some folks are justifiably wary of clicking on a pure link.  Second, using the new "box" method, where you see what the referenced thread is about with some lines of content, makes it much more inviting; it's a shame that something that was a really an added plus in last year's upgrade has been undermined by this graphics-grab. 

Thanks for keeping it on your list of desired changes.  I really do hope the developer will fix it.

Happy Halloween! 

I know it is definitely not ideal the way it behaves now.  Hopefully the developers will agree and get onto their dev schedule :)

Happy Halloween