Coke Freestyle Machine

MsSoCalCruiser

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  For as long as we have purchased the Soda Package for my daughter, it has come with a hard plastic reusable cup as part of the plan.  It is her cup.  She takes it back to the cabin each night.  No Princess employee is going to wash it, nor should they.  So I only see two options.  Either she uses the cup for sticky drinks all week and never washes it, OR, she washes it in the cabin each night (and sometimes more than once a day.)  The same is true at Disney World where you get a reusable cup/mug with your Dining Plan.  Are you going to use that mug for a week in the muggy Orlando weather, holding it with your sweaty, sunblock saturated hands and never wash it?  I get it that you are "on vacation", but you don't leave common sense and basic hygiene at your home when you travel.  Washing reusable items isn't a huge ask. 

s-l300.jpg

Perhaps I misunderstood your statement

"As travel suppliers such as cruise line and hotels move more and more toward "reusable" and away from "disposable", washing reusable equipment is going to become the new normal.  Get ahead of the curve".

I read that to mean that we will have to wash dishes.

I have purchased the drink package for my kids when they were young as well as for my self. The old cups never came with straws. With that said, we never used them. We just went to the bar and got our drinks. When  we were done they handed the cup back to the dirty dish station.  Why anyone, especially kids would want to carry around a cup all day is beyond me. The sinks in the staterooms aren't conducive to washing anything but your hands. The spout isn't tall enough to wash the cups.

We still use our 10yr old Princess cups as travel mugs for coffee and tea.They go in the dishwasher to be cleaned. The still hold up after all of these years.  

YtgjaKdLSA2qyNR085nBIw.jpg

Edited by Iamcruzin

32 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I read that to mean that we will have to wash dishes.

Granted, there are a few assumptions built upon assumptions here, but this is how I see this playing out:

• PCL is adding Coke Freestyle Machines
  • Those machines are inherently self-serve.  That means that no crew member is going to be present to assist you.
  • You will have to dispense your own soda.
  • Soda is not free.
  • Since soda is not free, you won't be able to simply walk up to the machine, grab a generic paper cup and fill it.
  • In order to ensure that everyone who dispenses soda has paid for the privilege, some system will have to be implemented to verify that the user is permitted.  That could be done through the Medallion (that many say they refuse to use) or it could be done through an RFID chip in a special cup.  That cup would likely be a hard plastic cup.
  • Just as PCL has given out blue bags in the past, we may see a day where it gives out (or sells) branded cups like the one that I posted above or like the one that you posted above.  When plastered with Coke branding, it is quite likely that Coke would absorb this cost and the cup would be free (or the price embedded in the cost of an All-Inclusive Beverage Package, just like the Soda Package of yesteryear.)
  • Once you are in possession of your reusable cup, that will be the preferred method for dispensing soda from machines.
  • Once you begin using your reusable cup, there is going to be a need to wash it periodically.  And if the sink doesn't do the trick, the shower will.
  • As noted earlier, this is how Disney has dealt with all-inclusive soda for decades.  I assume that the tens of millions of people who have purchased and used Disney Dining Plans have been washing (or at least rinsing) their reusable mugs this entire time.  I fully expect the rest of the travel industry to start to follow this lead.  Self-Service cuts down on employee overhead, and the reusable initiative can be co-branded as an environmentally sound measure making the company look good.  Reducing the workforce while simultaneously reducing environmental waste is a huge win-win for a corporation.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Granted, there are a few assumptions built upon assumptions here, but this is how I see this playing out:

• PCL is adding Coke Freestyle Machines
  • Those machines are inherently self-serve.  That means that no crew member is going to be present to assist you.
  • You will have to dispense your own soda.
  • Soda is not free.
  • Since soda is not free, you won't be able to simply walk up to the machine, grab a generic paper cup and fill it.
  • In order to ensure that everyone who dispenses soda has paid for the privilege, some system will have to be implemented to verify that the user is permitted.  That could be done through the Medallion (that many say they refuse to use) or it could be done through an RFID chip in a special cup.  That cup would likely be a hard plastic cup.
  • Just as PCL has given out blue bags in the past, we may see a day where it gives out (or sells) branded cups like the one that I posted above or like the one that you posted above.  When plastered with Coke branding, it is quite likely that Coke would absorb this cost and the cup would be free (or the price embedded in the cost of an All-Inclusive Beverage Package, just like the Soda Package of yesteryear.)
  • Once you are in possession of your reusable cup, that will be the preferred method for dispensing soda from machines.
  • Once you begin using your reusable cup, there is going to be a need to wash it periodically.  And if the sink doesn't do the trick, the shower will.
  • As noted earlier, this is how Disney has dealt with all-inclusive soda for decades.  I assume that the tens of millions of people who have purchased and used Disney Dining Plans have been washing (or at least rinsing) their reusable mugs this entire time.  I fully expect the rest of the travel industry to start to follow this lead.  Self-Service cuts down on employee overhead, and the reusable initiative can be co-branded as an environmentally sound measure making the company look good.  Reducing the workforce while simultaneously reducing environmental waste is a huge win-win for a corporation.

Not going to happen in my life time.  If it comes down to using the shower to wash out cups that's where I get off.    I can't believe people are willing to bring on chairs because Princess no longer will supply one in the stateroom and now they are willing to wash dishes. I refuse to carry a cup around all day and since I don't wash dishes at home I don't plan on doing it on vacation. If it comes down to using a special cup to get a drink I just won't buy the package.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not going to happen in my life time.  If it comes down to using the shower to wash out cups that's where I get off.    I can't believe people are willing to bring on chairs because Princess no longer will supply one in the stateroom and now they are willing to wash dishes. I refuse to carry a cup around all day and since I don't wash dishes at home I don't plan on doing it on vacation. If it comes down to using a special cup to get a drink I just won't buy the package.

Same here.

I don't plan on carting a cup around all day long in anticipation of drinking a soda. 

We'll probably just continue to bring our own as we have in the past. 

7 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Same here.

I don't plan on carting a cup around all day long in anticipation of drinking a soda. 

We'll probably just continue to bring our own as we have in the past. 

Time and time again I have read on all of the boards how people don't want to carry a cruise card and will buy a lanyard. I wonder if these are the same people who are willing to carry around an amusement park cup?

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Time and time again I have read on all of the boards how people don't want to carry a cruise card and will buy a lanyard. I wonder if these are the same people who are willing to carry around an amusement park cup?

I attribute it to mostly just talk. On the ship it's a totally different story. :classic_laugh:

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

First, reusable cups have been part of the "Soda and More" package for years.  People have been using them.  maybe you just haven't noticed.  Second, when you go up to a self-service machine and see that there are no disposable cups, and then you ask for a disposable cup and are told that they are no longer being supplied, your only options are to use the reusable cup that has been made available to you, or stick your head under the spigot and pour the soda directly into your mouth.

By way of analogy, our state has passed a ban on single use plastic grocery bags.  The ban has not yet gone into affect.  Nonetheless, most stores have gotten ahead of the issue by removing such bags well in advance of the deadline.  While the issue was being debated in the legislature, plenty of people said, just like you, that they would never bring their own bags to a grocery store.  But now the plastic bags are  gone and paper bags cost 10 cents.  So people have two choices.  Pay for paper bags, or bring in reusable bags.  Guess what is happening?  Yup.  People are bringing in their own bags. 

Honestly I'd love to see the freestyle machine for a couple of reasons  (personal for most.)

More sugar free/lo cal AND caffeine free drink options!

I'm not a big diet Coke fan, and I prefer Coke Zero.  So that should be available!!!

But I do agree that these machines end up being a slower operation since one has to be familiar with how it works;  And there is usually only the one spout.  

Still I'd take even one on the Lido deck.  Here's hoping.🤞

• Like 1

Just now, JimmyVWine said:

First, reusable cups have been part of the "Soda and More" package for years.  People have been using them.  maybe you just haven't noticed.  Second, when you go up to a self-service machine and see that there are no disposable cups, and then you ask for a disposable cup and are told that they are no longer being supplied, your only options are to use the reusable cup that has been made available to you, or stick your head under the spigot and pour the soda directly into your mouth.

By way of analogy, our state has passed a ban on single use plastic grocery bags.  The ban has not yet gone into affect.  Nonetheless, most stores have gotten ahead of the issue by removing such bags well in advance of the deadline.  While the issue was being debated in the legislature, plenty of people said, just like you, that they would never bring their own bags to a grocery store.  But now the plastic bags are  gone and paper bags cost 10 cents.  So people have two choices.  Pay for paper bags, or bring in reusable bags.  Guess what is happening?  Yup.  People are bringing in their own bags. 

You are missing the point. You don't have to use those machines. You can get a fresh cup filled at the bar. In my 58 yrs not once did I feel the need to carry a 24 oz beverage around with me. My kids 23 and 27 have never done it either. To be honest I didn't see many carrying around the cup on Royal Caribbean either. There was never a line of more than one or two people at the machines. I have to say that the pool deck and adult solarium had the best waiter service that I have ever experienced on a cruise ship. It surprised me because a majority buy the drink packages.

I know all about the bag issue we have it here on Long Island for over a year in one of the county's. The State follows through next year. You wouldn't believe how many walk out of the store with no bag because they don't want to pay the nickel. The others forget to bring the bags into the store. I have waited for a parking space while people unload the cart into the bags they left in the trunk. The big box stores never provided shopping bags. 

If it I have to carry and wash a glass I will just rent a camper for the week. At least they come with dishwashers.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

You are implying that the ship will no longer serve drinks out of the glass and plastic washable tumblers that they use now.

Not at all.  Let's refocus here.  This thread is about soda.  What I am suggesting is that single use disposable plastic cups, paper cups and Styrofoam cups are probably going to go away when self-service dispensers become the preferred system for dispensing soda.  This has nothing to do with cocktails.

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

You would seriously use the same plastic cup for an entire cruise without washing it, and call those who do germaphobes? 🤔

There is no way to know what they or any other passenger does with their cups or anything else.

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not at all.  Let's refocus here.  This thread is about soda.  What I am suggesting is that single use disposable plastic cups, paper cups and Styrofoam cups are probably going to go away when self-service dispensers become the preferred system for dispensing soda.  This has nothing to do with cocktails.

And all I'm saying is If the self service machines bother people they can continue the get a soda at the bar. For the record the machines don't bother me. I don't drink soda but the ones in the fast-food restaurants also sever flavored water. I'm opposed to carrying the cup more so than even having to wash it.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

And all I'm saying is If the self service machines bother people they can continue the get a soda at the bar.

1.  Much more limited selection.

2.  This discounts the possibility that going to the bar for a soda will result in the following: "I'm sorry sir, but we no longer sell soda here at the bar.  But right around the corner is a self-serve dispenser.  It is free if you have a beverage package, or if not, you can use your Medallion to charge it to your account."

18 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I can just imagine my older mother when she was still alive and the mentally challenged old folk on a cruise trying to figure out how to use those machines.

DON

Maybe so, but I suspect the option to order from a waitstaff or bar will still exist.

• Like 1

This is getting utterly ridiculous.  Princess is going to do what is best for their bottom line and for their stockholders.

I'm sure Princess does not care who likes the idea of self serve Coke Freestyle machines and who doesn't, as long as it is better for their bottom line.

If you don't like it and don't like the changes Princess is making then walk away,  there are a number of other cruise lines.  Princes will always have multiple passengers on the waiting list to take your cabin and your place on the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

This is getting utterly ridiculous.  Princess is going to do what is best for their bottom line and for their stockholders.

I'm sure Princess does not care who likes the idea of self serve Coke Freestyle machines and who doesn't, as long as it is better for their bottom line.

If you don't like it and don't like the changes Princess is making then walk away,  there are a number of other cruise lines.  Princes will always have multiple passengers on the waiting list to take your cabin and your place on the ship.

The other cruise lines already have them. Princess is behind the times as usual.  I don't think the machines are being used to save money I think they are realizing that they can offer more choices and just keeping up with the times. I'm sure Coca Cola had something to do with it as well.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always brought a thermo coffee mug and water bottle on board even before the push to use reuse containers because I like having a lid on my container and not have to worry about spilling. I’m looking forward to the self service machines. Maybe it’s a California thing but I see more and more people carrying reusable water bottles when they are out and about.  I understand people not wanting to carry a cup so those people can go to the bar. I just view it as having more options. 

1 hour ago, Rusty10 said:

I’ve always brought a thermo coffee mug and water bottle on board even before the push to use reuse containers because I like having a lid on my container and not have to worry about spilling. I’m looking forward to the self service machines. Maybe it’s a California thing but I see more and more people carrying reusable water bottles when they are out and about.  I understand people not wanting to carry a cup so those people can go to the bar. I just view it as having more options. 

All of my friends carry the reusable water bottles.  I don’t because I would constantly be forgetting where I left it.  I have the same problem with the refillable cups that come with the soda package and I lose one every single cruise.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

1.  Much more limited selection.

2.  This discounts the possibility that going to the bar for a soda will result in the following: "I'm sorry sir, but we no longer sell soda here at the bar.  But right around the corner is a self-serve dispenser.  It is free if you have a beverage package, or if not, you can use your Medallion to charge it to your account."

As we all know, Princess’s has a very limited selection of fountain soda. (The only options on a package since cans are not included.) Based in my experiences, the worst in the industry.  

2.  Will never happen as the fountain soda options are needed as mixers for alcoholic drinks.

I would welcome the Free Style option because, again, based on my experiences the Free Style machines offer many more options.  Hopefully those that do not want the expanded options, can get their limited option soda the current way.  But also I hope they use do not require a special cup.  

9 hours ago, jagoffee said:

2.  Will never happen as the fountain soda options are needed as mixers for alcoholic drinks.

Just because the bar has a gun that dispenses soda for alcoholic drinks does not mean that they can't institute a policy that requires that sodas be obtained from a machine.  If Princess put one of these at the end of every bar,...every...single...bar...would it be so odd to have a policy that states that sodas are to be dispensed from the machine and not from the bartenders?

cokefreestylemini.jpg?1400263742 

9 hours ago, jagoffee said:

But also I hope they use do not require a special cup.  

My guess is that they will supply plastic tumblers around the machines (as they do around the ice tea dispensers at the buffet) and have a "tap in" activation system.  If you have a Beverage Package, you don't get charged for the soda.  If you don't have a package, then a line item shows up on your folio.  People are just going to have to get over not wanting to carry a Medallion with them.  There are flaws with this system as it allows someone without a beverage package to borrow a Medallion from someone who does.  But the only way around that is to have special cups that activate the machine, and there seems to be a lot of resistance to that concept. As long as soda is not free, one thing is certain.  People won't be able to walk up to a machine with any old cup and no Medallion and dispense soda.

6 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Just because the bar has a gun that dispenses soda for alcoholic drinks does not mean that they can't institute a policy that requires that sodas be obtained from a machine.  If Princess put one of these at the end of every bar,...every...single...bar...would it be so odd to have a policy that states that sodas are to be dispensed from the machine and not from the bartenders?

I think some on this board are seeing the boogeyman behind the effort to put the Coke Machines on board the Princess ships.  If Princess is investing a lot of money in having the medallion work with an app that will allow a waiter to find you to serve you your drink, why would they be considering turning guests away at a bar?  I see this as adding another layer of convenience for the PAX.  I can see the advantage to Princess in having soft drink customers going to the machine instead of standing in line at the bar waiting for their turn to order soft drinks when they could be selling more profitable alcoholic drinks and reducing the wait times at the bars.

Just a thought, I really don't have a horse in this race...:classic_tongue:

• Like 1