Celebrity stopped calling at Labadee, Haiti?

FreestyleNovice

I loved Labadee; that's a shame.  The stop also helps bring much needed money into Haiti.   Yes, the local vendors can be a bit aggressive but no one says that you had to shop at their little market.

57 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

While onboard I was told that they will no longer be going there due to complaints from many cruisers . I wish there had been a vote!

There was a vote vis-a-vis the after sailing comment requests.

So many of us vote that way in relation to what or who we liked or disliked from our sailing.

That most likely was one of them over the years...

bon voyage

9 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

With so much recent bad press about the Dominican Republic they probably thought it best to take a hiatus.

???

The beverages served on Labadee are all supplied from the ships docked there. I don't think any of the bad press from the DR's poisonings or other problems would have any relevance to the Haiti port.

Just an opinion.

• Like 1

The Labadee port was built and is managed by parent corporation RCCL.  So I would not rule out that Celebrity ships might return there in the future.  They fairly recently modified the large dock there to accommodate their behemoth-size ships so no problem for any current or planned Celebrity ship to dock there. 

3 hours ago, warmwinds said:

With so much recent bad press about the Dominican Republic they probably thought it best to take a hiatus.

Labadee is not in Dominican Republic.

Haiti, but land is leased to RCCL, so it is not even their territory.

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The Labadee port was built and is managed by parent corporation RCCL.  So I would not rule out that Celebrity ships might return there in the future.  They fairly recently modified the large dock there to accommodate their behemoth-size ships so no problem for any current or planned Celebrity ship to dock there. 

Royal Caribbean has more Oasis Class ships and other ships now, Harmony of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas for example, added the last couple of years. I suspect the reason is simple. Royal Caribbean ships have priority for dock space. 

• Like 1

I recall vaguely that at some point it was reported that Royal C  suspended stops there after there were protesters in boats near the cruise ship dock..memory fades but maybe someone can look into it.  Is Royal C back there now?

Royal C''s "Beautiful Day at Cocoa Cay"  looks like awesome family fun. Labadee was very relaxing...esp the overwater cabana huts,  and  also  had the Zip Line and Coaster and kiddie water park.  We'd go back.

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

RCCL, Celebrities parent company, invested many millions of dollars in coco cay.  This island is very expensive and makes the corporation tons of money.  Labadee is more reasonable-  for now.

They have invested many millions in Labadee too. You can be sure that if the Coco Cay extra charges are successful that will spread to Labadee. They certainly will be having the "Perfect Day" at Labadee. 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

I recall vaguely that at some point it was reported that Royal C  suspended stops there after there were protesters in boats near the cruise ship dock..memory fades but maybe someone can look into it.  Is Royal C back there now?

Royal C''s "Beautiful Day at Cocoa Cay"  looks like awesome family fun. Labadee was very relaxing...esp the overwater cabana huts,  and  also  had the Zip Line and Coaster and kiddie water park.  We'd go back.

Protests had to do with Haitian politics and had nothing to do with cruise lines.  Protests (small boats carrying locals waving signs) were done at Labadee for PR purposes, showing off for camera-carrying tourists.  Protests ended after local elections.

Visited Labadee a while back on Equinox on day when Allure and Navigator were there as well.  Over 10k passengers and didn't feel crowded at all.  Doubt there is capacity problem.  Might be more logistics and sibling rivalry between Royal and X, ie: which ship provides, prepares and serves food and beverages.

6 hours ago, gcorgain said:

I always wanted to go there and booked a cruise for this purpose a couple of years back and then they substituted a different port. I'd like to go there sometime.

Same thing has happened to us (3 times). Never have made it there. 

I heard that one of the reasons that Celebrity does not stop there was based on cruiser feedback.  Of note was the lack of shopping.  

We found it sad when we walked along the  back of the property.   There were many Haitians asking for food.  We felt for them and were told not to give them any food from the buffet.  

• Like 1

I always enjoyed going to Labadee.  It was an easy beach day - just a short walk over to get chairs, umbrellas and food - no charge.  Hope Celebrity stops there again. Does anyone know if a dock has been built on Coco Cay?  Don’t enjoy tendering there.

4 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

I always enjoyed going to Labadee.  It was an easy beach day - just a short walk over to get chairs, umbrellas and food - no charge.  Hope Celebrity stops there again. Does anyone know if a dock has been built on Coco Cay?  Don’t enjoy tendering there.

A dock has been built at Coco Cay.  

12 hours ago, keesar said:

I heard that one of the reasons that Celebrity does not stop there was based on cruiser feedback.  Of note was the lack of shopping.  

We found it sad when we walked along the  back of the property.   There were many Haitians asking for food.  We felt for them and were told not to give them any food from the buffet.  

Access and security is tightly controlled as it is private property.  There is a "village" area there inside with local vendors.  To RCCL's credit they did provide a lot of local relief effort and supplies with their ships in 2010 when the major earthquake hit Haiti which did not damage Labadee at all.  But they even ran humanitarian excursions for passengers who wanted to contribute to local relief efforts.  I was there during that time and their efforts were sincere and appreciated.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:51 AM, Morgsmom said:

I loved Labadee; that's a shame.  The stop also helps bring much needed money into Haiti.   Yes, the local vendors can be a bit aggressive but no one says that you had to shop at their little market.

I was just at Labadee in June on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I saw no sign of outside vendors or their little market. The island was completely private and had no reflection of even being in Haiti. There were two shops for souvenirs  but the merchandise was all the same type you get on the other islands that is made in China. I didn't get the impression that anyone was contributing the economics in Haiti. On the other hand Royal Caribbean made bank with the overpriced cabanas, zip line and other for sale amenities.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1