Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mare10

Panama Canal on the Coral

Recommended Posts

After all the good advice I have had on these boards we are ready to book our cruise.  We will do the 15 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Wondering about cabin choice.  We will be looking for a balcony cabin and assume we should get covered or partially covered.  Does it matter which side of the ship we’re on..... port side or starboard?  Appreciate any advice!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mare10 said:

After all the good advice I have had on these boards we are ready to book our cruise.  We will do the 15 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Wondering about cabin choice.  We will be looking for a balcony cabin and assume we should get covered or partially covered.  Does it matter which side of the ship we’re on..... port side or starboard?  Appreciate any advice!!!!!!!

Did the same cruise 7 years ago loved every minute of it. Loved the ship, the ports, the whole Panama Canal experience and the excellent company we met on board. Really didn't want to get off.

We had a balcony cabin on the port side and saw some wonderful sunsets.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is an interesting question, one that I've thought a lot about (too much, ha ha).

 

You'll end up sailing (mostly) North after passing through the canal for many days, it makes sense to choose a cabin favoring your preferences e.g. sunrise (starboard side) or sunset (port side).  Personally, I find the low direct sun too warm for most of the trip so I'd favor the starboard side.  As others have noted, picking the port side you'll see many sunsets - if that's your thing.

 

I would agree that a covered balcony will probably find more use than an uncovered.

 

Coral is a lovely ship, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you're aware of this site:

 

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

 

It is indispensable when trying to figure out which balconies are covered. We had a starboard balcony when we made the same trip. I think covered balconies are a good idea. When we went (December 2015) it was brutally hot from Aruba through the canal. So be ready for that.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an uncovered balcony in late September and it was almost unusable for me.  I can’t tolerate direct sunlight. I’m not a vampire, lol.

 

It also made the stateroom hot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did LA to FL last Jan on Coral, Dolphin, port side.  Great ship, great crew, great itinerary.  There is no best side - depends on whether you like sun or shade or  land in the distance or ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

I hope you're aware of this site:

 

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

 

It is indispensable when trying to figure out which balconies are covered. We had a starboard balcony when we made the same trip. I think covered balconies are a good idea. When we went (December 2015) it was brutally hot from Aruba through the canal. So be ready for that.

 

Jim

Thanks Jim.... yes I have discovered that site.  It's very helpful!  I think we will definitely get a covered balcony on the starboard side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a great trip.  Forward on Deck 10 (I think) is an open deck with a great view forward.  It tends to get crowded but is worth a visit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Re-tired said:

It is a great trip.  Forward on Deck 10 (I think) is an open deck with a great view forward.  It tends to get crowded but is worth a visit.  

 

There are forward and aft viewing decks on both Baja and Caribe. We book an OV cabin - B731 - and love it. Have done the canal twice in that cabin. It is mere steps away from the aft viewing deck that has loungers on it and is hardly used. It's like having a ship-wide balcony. It's impossible to see into the cabin during the day. At night we close the curtains. You can see our cabin window next to the door. On our last canal cruise we watched dolphins playing in the wake a number of times.

 

image.jpeg.8a18031adc2a509ad8ea9717bd1e898d.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had C317 which is starboard and the big 9x9 balcony which is half covered. Excellent location easy to the buffet and forward locations and to the mid ship area.  Loved the Panama Canal trip, more than I expected🙂.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mare10 said:

After all the good advice I have had on these boards we are ready to book our cruise.  We will do the 15 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Wondering about cabin choice.  We will be looking for a balcony cabin and assume we should get covered or partially covered.  Does it matter which side of the ship we’re on..... port side or starboard?  Appreciate any advice!!!!!!!

did this cruise last year and LOVED it. I love the Coral (going on again in January 2020) It is a wonderful trip

We were in C233 which is starboard side. I liked it as we got to see the new locks as well. Note that the Coral has an open deck on the Caribe deck, front of ship  that you can go to and watch as well. (we did both..........front of ship and our balcony)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We decided on a Mini Suite since we're celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary!  Went with a starboard side near the aft.  It wasn't that much more in cost!   Now for all the rest of the planning!  CC has helped me so much on each cruise we go on.  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spend about 80% of our time in the Lotus Pool area.  AC, padded loungers and easy access to both sides of the ship for photos.  Last cruise we didn't bother with a balcony and booked an obstructed ocean view.  Much cheaper.  Just avoid the ones over the Wheelhouse Bar.  Loud music until 11 or so.  Music wasn't that bad but the singer was off-key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emerald deck balconies 736/734 etc are in a great location. (The aft 4 on either side of the ship)

You have the aft viewing deck at the end of the passageway outside your cabin.

You can touch the wall of the lock from the balcony.

A unique experience and photo op.

 

image.png.176d12c566bccf347d7440f267dad49d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been in the Panama Canal 3 times--one "East to West", one "West to East", and one partial from Ft. Lauderdale.  [I put the directions in quote marks because the Canal actually runs in a SSW direction from the Caribbean and in a NNW direction from the Pacific.]  All three times I moved around the ship during the transit as there is no "one good spot" IMHO.  I'm always fascinated by the technical aspects of the canal (referring to the "old" locks; haven't been through the new lock).  As the Canal is very near the equator (9 degrees north of it), one needs to be very careful being out on open decks in the sun.  Unfortunately it's so hot and humid there, that long sleeves which give the best protection from the sun aren't very comfortable.  And drink lots of water.  Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate all the input!!!!  I’ll be on these boards a lot now that we have our cruise scheduled.  Planning and researching is a big part of the fun!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 12:38 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Emerald deck balconies 736/734 etc are in a great location. (The aft 4 on either side of the ship)

You have the aft viewing deck at the end of the passageway outside your cabin.

You can touch the wall of the lock from the balcony.

A unique experience and photo op.

 

image.png.176d12c566bccf347d7440f267dad49d.png

 

Great photos but just have to ask about those aft cabins on the Emerald deck.  I notice they are right above the upper level of the Universal Lounge.  Is that kind of noisy in the cabin while shows and practices are scheduled?  Also, how about vibrations in the aft cabins on the Coral?  We book aft cabins often and some ships shimmy and shake, some pop you right out of bed when the thrusters are set in motion and some ... nothing!  Although I usually don't mind being the very aft cabin on either side of the ship, it doesn't look like the balcony affords much shade there on the Emerald deck....maybe choose the next one in rather than the very last one?  

One last question ... is smoking allowed on those public decks that are aft facing?  TIA 

Edited by Cruise Raider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree with Colorado Cruiser---those are my favorite cabins! We did the trip twice once FLL to LA and this year SFO to FLL and both times in E737! Yes, you can touch the canal from your balcony, so cool! Also, you get the aft view when the locks close. There is shade on the balcony.

No smoking on the aft public Emerald deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

 

Great photos but just have to ask about those aft cabins on the Emerald deck.  I notice they are right above the upper level of the Universal Lounge.  Is that kind of noisy in the cabin while shows and practices are scheduled?  Also, how about vibrations in the aft cabins on the Coral?  We book aft cabins often and some ships shimmy and shake, some pop you right out of bed when the thrusters are set in motion and some ... nothing!  Although I usually don't mind being the very aft cabin on either side of the ship, it doesn't look like the balcony affords much shade there on the Emerald deck....maybe choose the next one in rather than the very last one?  

One last question ... is smoking allowed on those public decks that are aft facing?  TIA 

Unlike the Emerald deck Emerald deck mini's and aft suites on Grand Class type ships there is no bass sound or any sound for that matter from the UL below that we have ever encountered. Had no vibration issues.  Family and ourselves have spent probably 6 plus weeks in those cabins over several cruises.

There is probably 3/4 cover from above for that last cabin. FIL had that last cabin and we had the next one up which has good cover.

In Panama it does not matter what cover you have, it is stifling outside all day everyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...