Am I Violating the Jones Act?

gerelmx

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Again, CBP doesn't give a hoot or holler about what plans a passenger is making with the cruise lines.  They will not deal with a passenger, even if a passenger has had a fine levied by the cruise line for a deceased passenger being disembarked at a different US port, unless the cruise line sends the passenger the case number and pertinent documentation of the fine levied against the cruise line by CBP (by the way, this happens frequently, and the family always gets a refund of the fine).

You know...you're right.  Don't waste your time......on the other hand, you just never know who will pick up the phone...I once called a company on a sales call and the president who I had been trying to meet with picked up the receptionist's phone....but of course that never happens.  I've called airlines and reached someone who says...I think I know a way around that....let me make a call. 

I think the op can decide if they want to spend 5 or 10 minutes to see if, maybe by luck, they might find someone who could explain how they might handle this situation.  The more paths you start down, the better chance you have of finding that one person who can actually help...with information or action.

Or...this just might be a stupid idea.....but let's let the OP decide.

5 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

You know...you're right.  Don't waste your time......on the other hand, you just never know who will pick up the phone...I once called a company on a sales call and the president who I had been trying to meet with picked up the receptionist's phone....but of course that never happens.  I've called airlines and reached someone who says...I think I know a way around that....let me make a call. 

I think the op can decide if they want to spend 5 or 10 minutes to see if, maybe by luck, they might find someone who could explain how they might handle this situation.  The more paths you start down, the better chance you have of finding that one person who can actually help...with information or action.

Or...this just might be a stupid idea.....but let's let the OP decide.

You have dealt with the Federal government before, haven't you?  CBP sees this as either a violation, by the cruise line, or not a violation, by the cruise line.  Their website about the PVSA even mentions that they don't care about the passenger, they only look at the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

You have dealt with the Federal government before, haven't you?  CBP sees this as either a violation, by the cruise line, or not a violation, by the cruise line.  Their website about the PVSA even mentions that they don't care about the passenger, they only look at the ship.

They may not care about fining passengers directly, but their legal department may well be willing to provide guidance. Most federal agencies charged with enforcing laws provide assistance to the public, including directing them to resources for further help. I spent many years answering "attorney of the day" questions to members of the public even though they were not the entities we directly regulated or fined.  The OP could also simply call and find a department for X to call.

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

The OP could also simply call and find a department for X to call.

Yes, Celebrity's Resolutions Department could  have quickly resolved the matter (as others have pointed out) since they are very familiar with this situation and have dealt with it many times before.

But the OP appears to be either unwilling or unable to let them handle it.

An excuse he gave was that Celebrity will not talk to him because he is using a travel agent. 

But he would not ask Celebrity to take the booking away from that incompetent TA,  even though the TA just keeps on making the situation worse and worse for him. 

It almost appears as though the TA has some kind of hold on him, maybe a family member or friend or business associate.

Hopefully someone from Celebrity will contact him soon to let him know that his original B2B2B booking is fine and he doesn't need to change anything (something that many of us here who have dealt with similar situations before already know, but his TA apparently doesn't).

Edited by fleckle

21 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Same thing for airports around the world where most of us go through U.S. Customs before boarding flights back to the U.S. in many airports.

I realize this isn't overly important to the topic at hand, but the above is a bit of an exaggeration. So, just to clarify:  Most travelers traveling to the US do NOT go through US Customs before boarding their US-bound flights.  This only happens in a small handful of airports....select airports in Canada; Shannon and Dublin in Ireland; Nassau and Freeport in the Bahamas; Aruba; Bermuda; & Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE.  That's it.  Travel anywhere else in Europe besides Dublin/Shannon?  No preclearance.  Travel anywhere in South America besides Aruba?  No preclearance.  Travel anywhere in Asia, Africa or Australia/south Pacific?  No preclearance.   Travel to Mexico or anywhere in the Caribbean or Central America?  No preclearance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Has Celebrity cancelled any of your trip?

No, X authorize me for late boarding at Victoria to avoid the problem. Plan B is underway I will disembark at Vancouver, Sleep one night in Victoria and embark the Eclipse next day. Hope they are reviewing my case and I can be onboard the whole trip.

28 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

No, X authorize me for late boarding at Victoria to avoid the problem. Plan B is underway I will disembark at Vancouver, Sleep one night in Victoria and embark the Eclipse next day. Hope they are reviewing my case and I can be onboard the whole trip.

What is your TA doing?  THEY should be fixing this. They should be all over Celebrity getting this taken care of.  

BTW, I don't know if you've seen this other thread, but apparently there is some sort of service/support team within Celebrity to assist TAs in resolving problems:

I'm sorry this has happened to you, and I hope you do not have to resort to Plan B.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, gerelmx said:

Celebrity was giving me an option to solve the problem: at the end of the cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver (second stage) Total disembarkation in Vancouver and boarding the next day in Victoria BC. , my travel agent must make a late boarding request in Victoria.

Can you pay a fine instead?

Your travel agent is right when you look at your 2nd and 3rd cruise there is no foreign distance port.so you need to disembark in Canada to break down your trip as two different trip and not as one trip.

if it is one trip you are violating the Jones act.

That also apply to Hawaii to Vancouver as 1st leg then  Vancouver to Alaska then disembark in Seattle as 2nd leg.

it is also violating the Jones act. Because Vancouver,Canada is not considered as a distance port.

Edited by verizon

7 minutes ago, verizon said:

Your travel agent is right when you look at your 2nd and 3rd cruise there is no foreign distance port.so you need to disembark in Canada to break down your trip as two different trip and not as one trip.

if it is one trip you are violating the Jones act.

Did you read the thread? It's not the Jones Act, and nothing is violated.

4 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Yes it matters that there are three cruises.  Please read the whole thread. The OP is not embarking in a US port and dismbarkng in a different US port.  He starts in Vancouver so PVSA does not apply

We were not allowed to do Hawaii-Ensenada then Ensenada to Vancouver. Due to the Jones Act. It’s the problem & it is antiquated.

Just now, If only said:

We were not allowed to do Hawaii-Ensenada then Ensenada to Vancouver. Due to the Jones Act. It’s the problem & it is antiquated.

wasn't the second cruise San Diego to Vancouver and the ship sailed empty from Ensenada to San Diego?

3 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

wasn't the second cruise San Diego to Vancouver and the ship sailed empty from Ensenada to San Diego?

Don’t believe so, but about 5 yrs & too many cruises ago.  

Edited by If only

5 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

you're comparing apples to oranges.  And of course Vancouver is a foreign port.

Celebrity does not consider Ensenada or Vancouver to be foreign ports we even offered to get off the day before in Victoria.  I totally agree with you Vancouver is a foreign port but not where the Jones Act is concerned.  Anyway I wish Geremlx good luck & hope it works out for him.

Edited by If only

3 minutes ago, If only said:

Celebrity does not consider Ensenada or Vancouver to be foreign ports we even offered to get off the day before in Victoria.  I totally agree with you Vancouver is a foreign port but not where the Jones Act is concerned.  Anyway I wish Geremlx good luck & hope it works out for him.

They are not foreign DISTANT ports but they certainly are foreign.  That is the difference when looking at the PVSA.  However, you need to board and disembark at two different US ports for the PVSA to even come into play, which the OP isn't.