Am I Violating the Jones Act?

gerelmx

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

They are not foreign DISTANT ports but they certainly are foreign.  That is the difference when looking at the PVSA.  However, you need to board and disembark at two different US ports for the PVSA to even come into play, which the OP isn't.

It’s not the PVSA that is the problem it’s the Jones Act.

Just now, If only said:

It’s not the PVSA that is the problem it’s the Jones Act.

OMG please stop with that nonsense.  The Jones act does not pertain to cruise ships.  It's a common term that the cruise employees that no nothing about it use.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

OMG please stop with that nonsense.  The Jones act does not pertain to cruise ships.  It's a common term that the cruise employees that no nothing about it use.

The Jones Act includes cabotage which is the transportation of people or goods in the same country.  It is the Merchant marine act of 1920.

Edited by If only

Hello Good New I receive this from LLP

Hello!
Thank you so much for this question. If you do all 3 sailings, it’s not a violation since you are technically going YVR-LAX. If you do the first 2, its okay as well, you just cannot combine only the last 2. In short, you are currently not violating the Jones Act.

We would love to look into this further and discuss with you personally- please reach out to celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com with the subject "ATTN: AURORA". Our team is expecting your email!

Thank you and have a great rest of your day!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, gerelmx said:

Hello!
Thank you so much for this question. If you do all 3 sailings, it’s not a violation since you are technically going YVR-LAX. If you do the first 2, its okay as well, you just cannot combine only the last 2. In short, you are currently not violating the Jones Act.

We would love to look into this further and discuss with you personally- please reach out to celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com with the subject "ATTN: AURORA". Our team is expecting your email!

FINALLY :)  very happy for you.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Hello!

Great news, enjoy.

• Thanks 1

I suggest you print out multiple copies of the note from LLP....you will undoubtedly need them at various points in your travels as the folks on the ships and at the ports may work with their (limited and incorrect) understanding of the laws.

congratulations on clearing your first hurdle.....painful and long, but sometimes you really do need to escalate to someone who takes the time to understand the issue.

BTW....don't assume LLP's note ends the issue....you need to get something official from Celebrity operations...more than an electronic note from LLP. I know you are already contacting Aurora....surely she will take the operational actions to allow you to enjoy your cruises.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Hello!

Yay, about time!  

Have a fabulous trip! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Cruise Junky - please remember that passengers are "Cargo" to the cruise line and indeed the Jones Act applies.  It is an (antiquated) rule to protect US Flagged shipping companies, and many countries have the same rules for their vessels flag.   I'm just glad that  the company finally realized that rule does not apply in the case of a Vancouver to LA trip.

4 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Cruise Junky - please remember that passengers are "Cargo" to the cruise line and indeed the Jones Act applies.  It is an (antiquated) rule to protect US Flagged shipping companies, and many countries have the same rules for their vessels flag.   I'm just glad that  the company finally realized that rule does not apply in the case of a Vancouver to LA trip.

hmmm no...we're passengers, hence we fall under the PVSA... the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act, (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. § 55103 (b), places the same restrictions on the coastwise movement of people. It is this act that prohibits commercial vessels such as cruise ships from allowing passengers to board at one U.S. port and debark at another U.S. port.Aug 17, 2018

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act

3 hours ago, verizon said:

Doest matter if is B2B2B or B2B2B2B2B2B

No U S port to  U S port links without a distance foreign port.

Actually it does matter because he is not starting in a US port.  He is starting in a Canadian port on trip one, then is on the ship continuously through three voyages that happen to stop in Hawaii, Vancouver again and end in LA.  Thus does not violate PVSA.  For some reason Celebrity is ignoring the first leg.

All this is spelled out in this discussion in great detail.

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Hello!

Great news follow up quickly and see what your TA says and why they were not willing to get this resolved.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

Either way,  glad to hear that OP has someone to contact...

Hope it proves positive!

It's fixed, Just receive a phone call from Celebrity.  They apologized for the mistake made and they tell me not to worry that everything will be taken away that they are talking to the Mexico office and to the Eclipse so that they can give me all the necessary help, that I will not have to disembark in Vancouver, They also asked to speak with my wife. In summary I am very happy that this had a happy ending.

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Hello!

I am so happy that this was finally resolved for you. Hopefully you will see some healthy OBC on your account for your all trouble and time spent. Your grace and patience throughout all of this was amazing, as you seemed to have been left to your own devices by both Celebrity and your TA.

Happy sailings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, helen haywood said:

Not to be negative but I’d suggest you get the name and phone number of the person who called you in case you do run into a problem once underway.  So glad this got resolved!

I already stored in my phone-book

• Like 1

So happy that you have the official confirmation at last.

Despite the fact that so many of us here on Cruise Critic kept trying to reassure you that you had no problem, unfortunately  there were a few people on this board who had no idea of what they were talking about, but still persisted in giving you incorrect information, causing you needless worry, anxiety and inconvenience.

On top of that, the absurd advice you were getting from the travel agent just kept on making the situation worse and worse.

But to quote a famous saying, All's well that ends well.

Hope you can now have a wonderful trip and put all this unnecessary worry behind you.

But do be sure to get rid of that travel agent before you plan another trip, even if that person is  a close family member or your best friend. 😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, koolforkatz said:

In short, you are currently not violating the Jones Act.

That took a long, long time and they're still talking about the wrong Act. How is such bad service even possible? I'd expect some training, escalating when it gets too difficult, and an answer within a day. It's not as if cruiselines aren't dealing with PVSA on a daily basis. 

• Like 1