Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
fyree39

Winter cruising pants/slacks

On 8/9/2019 at 5:09 AM, awhfy said:

Actually, Costco has some amazing (& warm ponte) pants & jeggings. I paid $12.99 for a pair for casual wear. 

I just became a member at Costco. Can you even try on the clothes there? I have to try on pants, even the stretchy elastic waist ones.

I have never seen a dressing room in a Costco store and I have been to many all over the US. I have seen women try on clothing in the restroom (not for me)  and I don’t know if you have to purchase first. I just buy, try on at home and then take back what I don’t want. Costco’s returns are easy and no questions asked. Yes, it’s a bit of work to buy clothes at Costco but I feel that their prices make it worth it. 

No, you cannot try clothing on at Costco. If desperate & time-crunched, you can buy, try on in ladies room, return if needed. But I do what Purduemom does - buy, try on at home, bring it back if it doesn't fit. Same with online purchases - just return in the store what doesn't work for me. I'm at Costco regularly for my grocery shopping so it works fine for me.

23 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I just became a member at Costco. Can you even try on the clothes there? I have to try on pants, even the stretchy elastic waist ones.

You cannot try in store. I buy two sizes & return the one that doesn’t fit. They are also available on line. The online description usually gives a detailed sizing that I’ve found fairly accurate. Their travel pants are fabulous. I wear a 10 & they fit perfectly

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

They are also available on line.

Not always true. Often items available in a warehouse but not online, or vice versa. I shop both ways 😉 Esp as shipping fees are often (but not always) waived for certain items....

I don't have good luck with the clothing at Costco.  I'm pretty careful about it now, luckily I have a location near me.  Otherwise, I wouldn't bother - too much of a pain to make returns.  I"ve bought a few leggings and knit slacks there over the years, and haven't liked  how they performed - thankfully Costco has a great return policy.

I wore the Eileen Fisher crepe slacks (previously mentioned) for years...but somehow the style I used to buy changed?  Or was re-designed?  So when I tried to buy another pair last year, I couldn't find the right fit for me.  Unfortunately, because they are great.

I shop at lot at Banana Republic and have several of their ponte knit pants, leggings etc  Haven't bought any recently though...

Other places to peruse are Talbot's and LandsEnd.

Good luck finding something great for your cruise!

I've had great luck with SlimSations. Also Eileen Fisher (more pricey), and Chicos. The Wearever pants at JJill are good too!

On 8/9/2019 at 6:09 AM, awhfy said:

Actually, Costco has some amazing (& warm ponte) pants & jeggings. I paid $12.99 for a pair for casual wear. 

I got some for $9.99 in Chicos recent sale! I am a big fan of their Travelers clothes for when I need to look smart --- I've put together a mix of black and Amparo blue for our cruise to Rome at the end of October. I find their Ponte pants perfect for colder days. It's certainly a company that raises and lowers online prices according to their latest sale so you have to be familiar to grab great deals. They have some items on Amazon to give you an idea of pricing deals. 

Edited by Alaskanb

Garnet Hill has a sale going on with some of the Eileen Fisher clothing.  Check and see if any of it fits your fancy!

Love Duluth Trading Company’s “Noga” pants.  Comfy, slightly heavier stretchy materials in a variety of leg styles.  Easy wash, double-stitched seams, not rumply, good for casual and as a base for slightly dressier dinner tops.  Pull on, wide comfy waist band they come in lengths (ie, 29”, 31, 33, 35).  Zip thigh pocket, and discrete little pouch at the top of the waste band.

ok, so you can tell I’m a fan. 

On 8/3/2019 at 1:21 PM, Debbdo said:

These are my favorite cruise pants...I have several colors and it's like getting 2 pair for the price of one since they are reversible. They also pack well are wash and wear!

https://www.qvc.com/Women-with-Control-Renees-Reversibles-Tummy-Control-Ankle-Pants.product.A309697.html?upsh=1&sc=A309694-CSWB&TZ=EST

Debbdo, the font you are using is almost impossible to read on an iPad screen

In my experience with pants on cruise ships : Everyone regardless of age or girth wears jeans.  However I have worn (bought from Costco) when it’s exceptionally  cold, thin warm undergarments under  oath tops and jeans. 

Thinner stretchy jeans are cold. In an unexpected cold spell,  before boarding the ship I pulled out of my carry on a pair of black fleece yoga style pants to wear over the jeans.

Plus I always have a huge cream colored bamboo fabric scarf. I use it for warmth on the plane, in the theater, restaurants, on the beach. Over my jacket, in the rain.  A life saving garment! Others prefer pashmina.

Unless you are on Cunard, casual is in. On land jeans are favored too.

Have a great trip!

Ann