Touchy subject.... appropriate dress?

MrsRoper

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That doesn't address the issue of why worry about what others choose to wear?

I'm not going to reread this entire thread but I don't remember a lot of people worrying about it.

But perhaps you could address the issue(s) in the link I provided.  It seems like you're the one who has the problem(s).

21 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm not going to reread this entire thread but I don't remember a lot of people worrying about it.

But perhaps you could address the issue(s) in the link I provided.  It seems like you're the one who has the problem(s).

Dress codes are just an excuse some use to try to justify their desires to control other people.  You will live a less stressful and happier life if you give up the wish to control others.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:
28 minutes ago, clo said:

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Dress codes are just an excuse some use to try to justify their desires to control other people.  You will live a less stressful and happier life if you give up the wish to control others.

I hope you do not really think that a cruise line sets a dress code just to be able to boss people around.    Can you just try to vizualize the possibility that the line might be trying to create an atmosphere which people who book with them might want?

Maybe you might be happier if you gave up the the wish to ignore what other people might prefer.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Maybe you might be happier if you gave up the the wish to ignore what other people might prefer.

And select dining venues that suit the individual.

24 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

... Image result for shocked emoji.. oh wow !

32 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you ever heard of the term "ambiance" , especially pertaining to venues that are advertised as being more upscale? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I hope you do not really think that a cruise line sets a dress code just to be able to boss people around.    Can you just try to vizualize the possibility that the line might be trying to create an atmosphere which people who book with them might want?

The dress codes have been relaxed to appeal to a wider set of customers.

1 hour ago, ColinIllinois said:

Have you ever heard of the term "ambiance" , especially pertaining to venues that are advertised as being more upscale? 

Why is the 'ambiance' of some more important than the 'ambiance' of others?  

Have you noticed the more upscale cruise lines have the most relaxed dress codes?

Edited by RocketMan275

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

try a bolo tie

Changing the subject a little, I confess I did not know what a bolo tie was, but Amazon sells them if you are also curious.  Clo, you probably see them out west.  I can't be the only guy who will check in with DW before ordering something new like this.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why is the 'ambiance' of some more important than the 'ambiance' of others?  

Have you noticed the more upscale cruise lines have the most relaxed dress codes?

You are deflecting on the discussion here.  Example:   If NCL advertises the LeBistro restaurant as having a particular dress code such as a collared shirt, slacks, no sandals and I want to go there because it creates a certain ambiance that I want to dine in then I should have an expectancy that everyone will be dressed appropriately.  Pretty simple to understand. 

If you don't choose to wear slacks and a collared shirt there are specialty restaurant where the dress code allows you to wear shorts, jeans, etc.  Again, simple to understand.  In other words, there is something for everyone.

No customer is more important than another but the cruise lines cater to the old adage of "different strokes for different folks".

Can't make it much simpler to understand than that.

24 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

Can't make it much simpler to understand than that.

What I don't understand is this: why do you let another person's apparel affect your 'ambiance'?

If you're sitting with two gentlemen, one wearing slacks and the other blue jeans, does their apparel change your appreciation of their company?  Do you let their clothing affect your judgement? 

Edited by RocketMan275

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What I don't understand is this: why do you let another person's apparel affect your 'ambiance'?

If you're sitting with two gentlemen, one wearing slacks and the other blue jeans, does their apparel change your appreciation of their company?  Do you let their clothing affect your judgement? 

You either don't get it, think it's all about you or have no experience in dining in nice places.

I'll try one last time:   If a place is advertised as having a certain ambiance and someone comes in looking like a bum then that ambiance isn't present.  That particular dress code is what I like and so do others dining in that establishment.

I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by ColeThornton

12 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

You either don't get it, think it's all about you or have no experience in dining in nice places.

I'll try one last time:   If a place is advertised as having a certain ambiance and someone comes in looking like a bum then that ambiance isn't present.  That particular dress code is what I like and so do others dining in that establishment.

I'll leave it at that. 

Oh, I've dined in some very fine places and I've learned that what others wear doesn't affect me in the slightest.

What I truly don't understand is the belief that one's own pleasure (ambiance) is so important that it justifies taking pleasure from others.

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What I truly don't understand is the belief that one's own pleasure (ambiance) is so important that it justifies taking pleasure from others.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd you just made his point for him.

Edited by ColinIllinois

1 hour ago, ColinIllinois said:

In other words, there is something for everyone.

And cruise ships are the only venues I can think of where that's the case.  You can dress any WAY you want but not any WHERE you want.  Is there a word for arguing just for the sake of arguing?

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm quite comfortable in a pair of cargo pants, a polo shirt, and my 'tennies'.  However, I doubt that is sufficient for the 'dress to impress' crowd. 

Your “tennies” are unacceptable for main dining room (and other lounges/bars) on Celebrity as well as several other lines. 

The cargo pants (while horribly out of fashion) are suitable.... as is the polo shirt... so you’re good to go there. 🙂 

Edited by Icon901
  • Thanks 1